2bmed

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

Sadly, I didn't get in last year, however I'm now finishing up my masters and hopefully will be submitting one or two new publications this year. As a result of already having applied, I already have all of my undergrad letters of rec compiled- do I need to ask people for an updated letter just so the date will be more recent or can I use these letters even if they have a date of last year on them? Will this potentially look bad? I will get updated letters from my current PI and grad school profs, just wondering about the undergrad refs.

Thanks!

Weoh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2007
In between here and there.
Status
Medical Student
My suggestion would be to have your undergrad profs rewrite/resubmit new LORs with current dates. If anything, it might keep you from looking like an applicant that was too lazy to make a phone call or send an email to request a new LOR.

My 2 cents.

Luxian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Just as a counterpoint, I used all the same LORs for my reapplication. Partly this was due to the fact that I'd applied late the first year (November) and was applying early the next (July), so there was really only half a year difference. I had much better success this year with updating my app, rewriting the essays, even with the same LORs.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
On the way back to Earth!
Status
Post Doc
My suggestion would be to have your undergrad profs rewrite/resubmit new LORs with current dates. If anything, it might keep you from looking like an applicant that was too lazy to make a phone call or send an email to request a new LOR.

My 2 cents.
I'd really like some more input because I've been told that dates do not matter for your LOR's. If you have new ones that is fine but if you get them they don't need to be current.

Weoh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2007
In between here and there.
Status
Medical Student
I'm not aware of any strict protocol when it comes to the dates on LORs, so ultimately, the decision is yours. I've already mentioned that I would choose to have them redone (keep in mind that I had excellent rapport with my LOR writers, so they were only too eager to write them in the first place-- if they weren't so eager, I might consider reusing old ones), but reusing old LORs has worked for Luxian, and probably countless others.

Personally, if I were reapplying, having current dates would just give me peace of mind. Yes it'd be a bit of an inconvenience (to me and the writers), but to me, it's about attention to detail-- that, and I'm a bit of an overachiever. :rolleyes: go figure.

At the end of it all though, if you're satisfied with your decision to reuse your LORs, go for it and make the most of every opportunity that the decision affords you.

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
As long as you have SOME new letters, you should be fine.
You want to demonstrate how your application has improved.
New and better LORs are one way.