Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

New Mac soon for those of us waiting

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by alwaysaangel, May 9, 2007.

1. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/09/more-macbook-led-and-santa-rosa-rumors/

I'm hoping for sonner rather than later, just cuz I'm sick of my overheating PC. But the increase in battery life with the Santa Rosa chip is just too tempting since I will be using this computer for med school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    I have actually read on Thinksecret and other mac sites that the next Imac will sport a quad core CPU, memory with much faster bandwith (more bandwidth means faster memory), Dual Hard drives and the clincher- Dual Graphics cards For those that dont know, thats two graphics cards in one computer! Nice :thumbup:

This is awesome becasue a computer with, say, dual 256 mb graphics cards work more efficiently than one 512 mb graphic card alone. This. along with the new OS X leopard and a refreshing of the Imac casing (it's going on 4 years old already) will make it a must buy, even for hard core gamers.
    I will have to hold the temptation to sell my core duo 2, 24" Imac and get me one of those new babies when they come out.

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Still waiting here... I want a new iMac. I've had my indigo G3 since late 2001 early 2002. :(

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    If I were you I would hold off until november for an Imac. Apple will unveil the newer models then, refreshed, redesigned and with OS X leopard. If you have done ok with your G3 for the past 6 years, then waiting 6 months shouldnt be that bad.
    It would be pretty tough if you buy a top of the line 24" Imac, paid a premium to have all the bells and whistles, only to see that Apple unveiled a newer, better an prettier version for less.

6. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Well newer models will be brought out soon with the Santa Rosa chips. Probably after June. Leopard isn't expensive at all. Considering how long it took them to update the iMac this cycle so far I'm betting the next one after that won't be for a long time.

7. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Now they're saying Tuesday! I hope thats true. I would love to have my new Mac sitting pretty on my desk next Tuesday night!

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Announcing and shipping are two different things. Sometimes Apple announces products when they are ready to ship, but here late it seems they pre-announce products and then start shipping them a month or two later.

9. DoctorPLASTIC

DoctorPLASTIC Banned
    Banned

I just got one today. IT looks awesome and the camera is soooo clear! I love it!:D

10. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    I hope they don't do that this time around. I refuse to pay 2000 dollars for a piece of equipment that will be updated in only a few months. Pretty wasteful to do that when you're capable of waiting. But I want to get rid of this old laptop so bad.

11. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    There will always be something better around the corner. Buy a MacBook Pro in June, and you'll get the newest chip and LED display, but in six months there will be a new MBP that has solid-state storage. Buy a MacBook in June, and in six months, the displays with LED technology will come out for the lower end MacBooks.

No matter when you buy, you could always wait just a few more months for something better. The question is it really worth the wait? Yes, a month is worth the wait, but if it's more than that, then no, it's probably not unless you already have a machine you want to upgrade.

12. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Well yeah, a month or two is worth the wait and I would kick myself when its just around the corner and its already past the average time before MBPs are updated.

I know that there is always an update around the corner (especially with anything apple), but when it can be anytime between next tue and a month away - thats too close to not just wait. Especially since I think the LED and santa rosa are well worth it.

13. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Alright, so according to all the fanboi sites. Product availability is diminishing and online warehouses are listing the 15th and 16th as when they expect new product in.

Also a guy who ordered his MacBook recently directly from the apple site: his ship date suddenly jumped from the 11th to the 16th. This all bodes well for an announcement and release sometime this week!

14. Punkn

Punkn at the Christie Rd tracks

Attending Physician
    Sweet!

15. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would he order a macbook now? This guy is going to kick himself when he realizes that had he waited a couple more weeks he would have had a much better mac for the same price. It happened to someone I know who bought a first gen macbook pro only to see it become obsolete practically overnight. The absolute worst times to get a mac is before June or before November whem Apple usually refresh their product lines.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    All sources seem to point to an update to the MacBook Pro lineup (new CPU's and LED displays). It doesn't appear that regular MacBooks are getting an update, but the rumor sites have been wrong before.

Supposedly Apple is going to announce something tomorrow if you believe the rumor sites.

18. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know why he didn't wait in the first place - but the point was with the sudden change in ship date he may well be getting the updated version.

19. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I actually want a MacBook Pro - but oddly all the fanboy sites keep talking about the MacBook updates. Which is really weird since MBPs are almost always updated before MacBooks.

I'm just hoping they release them this week. This old laptop is all but dead and I really want my new Mac. Plus I'm obsessing about the computer so I don't have to obsess about the decision on my file at UC Irvine :p

20. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me

Medical Student
    I'd wait for the release of leapord before worrying about the hardware. I love these mac rumor sites though, they are almost always wrong. Apple is pretty iron clad with their NDA. I have as inside information as inside can get so I don't really bother with the sites. My favorite stories are how apple has postponed leapord because they want bootcamp to run vista. One thing, the date for the next OSX upgrade has been set for YEARS and has not deviated. Aside from that, there is no logical reason to hold postpone release to make a competitors product work on their computer. In addition, it is a simple patch later on.

The hardware stuff with Apple is interesting. They deliberalitely leave off features from various systems in hopes that you will buy the next best one, or in the case of the iPod...all three. (You have to have your regular ipod for daily functions, andalthough it is perfectly possible to run on the standard iPod, they have the iPod+Nike ONLY for the nano....sneaky bastards) They will ALWAYS leave something off that you want...usually on purpose. The macbooks have the razorblade like wrist points for a reason...next time you'll want to upgrade to the macbook pro so you don't bleed to death. (They did know about the sharp edges before release)

I guess bottom line, take the sites with a grain of salt...they never seem to know what they are talking about. The big releases will be at WWDC soon, everything else coming will most likely be minor. Trust me..wait till WWDC. Vista will be pwned.

21. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually some of these mac fanboi sites have been pretty accurate with many, but not all of their predictions. They have been writing about Apple's transition to LED displays in the next gen macs for some months now and it turned out to be true. I like certain sites over others, though. One thing that has my interest (other than macs) is the persistent rumor that the next gen ipod will have a huge touch screen, like the iphone without the phone. This rumor has been around quite a while, and the ipod IS due for a new rollout soon...

I think the fanboi sites are one of the things that actually got me hooked on Apple products in the first place. I used windows pc's exclusively all my life until I stumbled upon a few of them. That was when I first got an inklin of the huge, almost obsessive devotion many people have for the mac. Its kind of fun trying to guess what Apple will come up with next, its part of the charm of Apple. Sometimes I find myself reading these sites just to see what new rumors popped up. No one really cares what Dell, HP or Gateway has coming next, but Apple is different in this respect.
    I cant wait to see what they have in store for the next gen ipod and imac. With med school loans piling up I'll probably be too broke to buy a new computer any time soon, but at least I can dream. :)

22. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    Since when did fanboy become fanboi?

Isn't a boi a very young bisexual or homosexual boy?

23. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL you're right. You know I didnt even realize I was writing boi. I just read it from the previous post and wrote it without thinkg. So there it is... I meant FANBOY sites.

24. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
  25. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    I think he's tapping into his inner Avril Lavigne...

[YOUTUBE]arZAGredsNM[/YOUTUBE]

26. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry - my bad. I'm very used to seeing it in the derogatory form - which is fanboi. So I probably typed it that one cuz I've seen it that way more than fanboy.

27. nowooftickets

nowooftickets Junior Member

Attending Physician
    holy crap i just saw all the leopard previews on their site and i want a mac now. never before did i feel this.

28. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Everyone on MR is pissed because it's not Santa Rosa. It is a cheaper machine if you were going to make the hard drive and RAM upgrades anyway.

But the MBP will be updated in June. I want my iMac. :(

29. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I've been reading that thread - pretty hilarious. No clue why anyone in their right mind would expect a chip upgrade in a Macbook before the MBP.

I hate the look of the MB and ultimately decided against the MB because I can't deal with the glare of the glossy screen to study powerpoints off for medical school.

There are rumors that MBP will be updated next Tuesday - last week there were no Macbooks available and retailers weren't able to get new shipments until this Tuesday. Now MBPs are out at a lot of retailers and they again can't get new shipments until next Tuesday.

Its probably at least partially wishful thinking on my part - but I'm hoping will get something next week and WWDC will emphasize Leopard and the iphone instead of hardware updates.

30. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Those are not really NEW macbooks. Apple just did a refresh of the product line, which they do often. They give the MB faster CPU's and larger hard drives, thats all. All signs point to brand new, redesigned macbooks, macbook pro's and Imacs coming by the end of this year.

31. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    I know, it was a dumb way for MR to title the article but its still a decent hardware update for people who really can't wait all year. I frankly wasn't expecting a "new" anything. I think they're too obsessed with the iphone right now to redesign too much.

And what signs point to brand new redesigned macbooks? I haven't heard anything about that and these have only been around for what like 2 years?

32. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    Apple needs to redesign them considering how many problems they have with melting, discoloration, and cracking.

Personally I like the aluminum of the MBP's. My PowerBook's aluminum has held up well, even after a few drops to the floor.

33. juiceman311

juiceman311 Senior Member

I went ahead and purchased the "old" blackbook for $1099 on Amazon.com moments ago :)

34. nowooftickets

nowooftickets Junior Member

Attending Physician
    Say I get a macbook before leopard comes out in october, is the operating system easily upgradeable??

35. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    $49 and about 15 minutes.

36. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    The mac sites have been been sounding off the last couple of months about an impending macbook, macbook pro and Imac redisign. Apple CEO Steve Jobs himself basically said so when he wrote on the Apple site about the impending shift to LED screens by the end of this year. Believe me, with the new screens will come a new case.
    While MB and MBP's have not been around too long, their cases are screaming for a redisign. The macbook looks too much like a slightly larger ibook and the MBP looks almost exactly like the older powerbook. The Imac case is identical to the old G5. I'll say this though, while the casing for Apple computers are a few years old, they are still waaay cooler than any windows pc in the market today, period.
    Apple products, from the ipod and iphone to their imacs are designed by a guy called Jonathan Ive. He is basically the guy responsible for how great all Apple products look. Recently I read an article that he and his team are VERY busy working on the next gen ipods and computers. You never know what Apple's gonna throw at you next, but whatever it is, I cant wait.

37. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's hoping theres something tommorow!

Unfortunately for me I just remembered that the back-to-school free ipod promotion should be starting at the beginning of june. And my mother would love an ipod - so I guess I'm waiting a few more weeks. Oh well, its not too far off.

38. SupaManu

SupaManu Superman

Medical Student
    So are the new MBP suppose to have SR chip and leopard or just leopard, also, anyone hear any new news as to when this will be released, hopefully before the end up july when i need one.

39. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Since it didn't come out today the rumor forums are saying it won't be until WWDC (June 11-15). The thought is that they are adding the LED for this update and Jobs wants to show it off.

It will hopefully have SR chips, but will definitely not have Leopard. Issues with the iphone pushed leopard release back to October. Just buy when its updated in June and pay the extra to update to Leopard when it comes out in October.

40. RokChalkJayhawk

RokChalkJayhawk Muck Fizzou

Medical Student
    This happened to me. I am still a little bitter about it a year later.

41. Fuji

Let me preface this by saying that I am not buying a new iMac until after WWDC, maybe even October (depending on what comes out in June).

That being said, I think it's amazing how well companies like Apple have suckered all of us into believing we always have to have the best technology, and as soon as something better comes along then whatever we own is not good enough. I mean really, do you think the average user will notice the difference between 2.13 GHz and 2.66? Super-users aside, saving a few femtoseconds of processing time isn't going to matter to the person checking their email or editing a spreadsheet. This mentality makes the tech companies mucho dinero and leaves us salivating for the scraps from Steve Jobs's table.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go check macrumors.com again.

42. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha. Generally I would agree with you, we really don't need the best technology, and some people really do buy the new thing every 6 months (crazy!).

But I think for a lot of average users its not about getting the best thing as soon as it comes out. Its about keeping the computer as long as possible. And by waiting 3 more weeks and getting a more updated version of the MBP or whatever, it will deal with future technology that much better and will last that much longer. A lot of my friends are like me and we all run our computers ragged (I'm currently running on a 5 year old computer: Athlon XP 1500+ 1.33 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD - it STRUGGLES with multiple modern programs and I really can't run more than 1 or 2 things at a time). By waiting a few more weeks it might deal with future technology 1 year longer.

43. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with you on the CPU speed bump, but when you consider that the refreshed line also got way larger hard drives for the same price, then it does make a difference. Some refreshes are more important than others, such as when all macs got core duo 2's to replace the first generation core duo CPU's. No matter how you put it core duo 2 CPU's are waay better than the first gen core duos. The next refresh will probably see next generation Santa Rosa CPU's, LED screens, better graphics chips/ cards and larger, faster hard drives, and that would make it a major upgrade in itself.
    Rumor sites have it that by next year all macs will transition to quad core CPU's, and all models will undergo major facelifts. So if you absolutely want the next best thing and have an ok desktop or laptop that you can use until at least October, then why not wait and see what Apple has in store?