New MacBook Air

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimakey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I recently bought the new MacBook Air that has the 128 gb internal hard drive. I’m a sophomore currently so I’m hoping this laptop can last me until I finish medical school. I’m planning on using hard-drives to compliment the small hard drive space, but the tech guy who was selling It to me advised I just upgrade to a bigger space. I have until January 7th to decide. Is It a good idea to live off of hard drives for the next 6 years and save a couple of hundreds, or should I just upgrade to a bigger disk space?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the 256gb. Also since you're a student, make sure to get apple's student discount.... if youre buying it from the apple store

Reactions: 1 user
Can you explain why you’d go with the 256? You probably end up still needing to use an external hard drive or a flash drive with that as well. An extra 128 gb is an extra $200 while a flash drive that’s 128 you can find for under $70.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how much you paid for it, you may be able to trade it in and get the new 2018 MBP 13 inch which is more powerful

Get your 1000 bucks back and you could definitely get a Windows laptop with 512 gigs with the same or better specs than the MacBook Air.

Can you explain why you’d go with the 256? You don’t probably end up still needing to use an external hard drive or a flash drive with that as well. An extra 128 gb is an extra $200 while a flash drive that’s 128 you can find for under $70.

Yeah but it’s still a hassle. I think 128 will be more than enough but if the moneys there, why not go for the extra bit? Check out Black Friday deals, look for a student discount and maybe if you’re willing to wait until Christmas?

Depending on how much you paid for it, you may be able to trade it in and get the new 2018 MBP 13 inch which is more powerful

It’s the 2018; I paid almost $1,500.

Edits: The price above includes the 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
Yeah but it’s still a hassle. I think 128 will be more than enough but if the moneys there, why not go for the extra bit? Check out Black Friday deals, look for a student discount and maybe if you’re willing to wait until Christmas?
I’ve been waiting since last year to get a laptop to be honest. I was trying to get away with not having one for as long as possible so I can pay off more immediate needs. I think this is as far as I can push unfortunately ...

It’s the 2018; I paid almost $1,500.

So for $1500, you could get a 13 inch Macbook Pro with 256 gb hard drive. The second link I attached is a MBP for $1599 and also includes the touch bar with touch ID. No sales tax.

Buy MacBook Pro

Apple13.3

Additionally, if you want to still purchase an Air, this is one for $1500 no tax with 512 gb hard drive.

Apple13.3

Can you upgrade the the laptop hard drive later? Memory is getting cheaper by the day.

I should have mentioned the three year warranty for $250 lol. I bought It off Apple itself.

Just save money and use an external drive. 128gb is more than enough for school-related stuff, and you can leave pictures, movies, etc on the external drive.

I’ve been waiting since last year to get a laptop to be honest. I was trying to get away with not having one for as long as possible so I can pay off more immediate needs. I think this is as far as I can push unfortunately ...

I understand. I think the 128 will be fine for you. It'll last you through college and most likely a bit into medical school too honestly... It's hard to turn down double the gigs, but then again, you're paying $200 more.... It's fine. Enjoy your new laptop. I've heard this Air is great!

If you’re not a data/file hoarder you’ll be fine with 128gb. Will just have to be be careful or at least cognizant of what you keep on the hard drive as far as video files go. With their iCloud services and WiFi pretty much wherever you go it’s much easier now too be with a smaller hard drive.... assuming you don’t have a side hobby of video editing or something data intensive.

The new MacBook airs look really nice as well with the upgrade screen.

My mid-2014 MacBook Pro is still going strong. I’ve never had to reformat it, it’s still fast after several OS upgrades and I travel with it a lot and no hardware issues. I can’t say the same of any of the numerous windows laptops I’ve had in the past.

I actually like some of the newer PC laptop hardware that’s available now, I’ve just gotten used to and prefer Mac OS at this point.

You can buy 3TB external drives for next to nothing. I wouldn’t pay a penny more than you already did... that’s a pricey Mac

I have 128 and it’s enough . I use google drive and drop box to supplement it .
Additionally you could get a WD myCloud which you can access over the internet like Dropbox but it’s a physical hard drive that stays at home .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

128 is pretty pitiful. Anki media files will fill that up.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand buying apple. Much more expensive and not user modifiable.

Hello SDN. I recently bought the new MacBook Air that has the 128 gb internal hard drive. I’m a sophomore currently so I’m hoping this laptop can last me until I finish medical school. I’m planning on using hard-drives to compliment the small hard drive space, but the tech guy who was selling It to me advised I just upgrade to a bigger space. I have until January 7th to decide. Is It a good idea to live off of hard drives for the next 6 years and save a couple of hundreds, or should I just upgrade to a bigger disk space?
Get the bigger HD. Think of marginal cost of that upgrade