New MCAT (I took last paper and pencil version in 2005)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I took the last paper and pencil version of the MCAT in 2005 and I am going to study and hopefully take it in December/January. Is there a good site which explains the new version of the MCAT? How has it changed?

I have the Exam Kracker books and old Kaplan books and High Yield Columbia Review. What other awesome materials should I consider getting? Where can I get good practice MCAT tests?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Verónica

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC website

Princeton Review

What about Barron's? Barron's was real good for the GRE. Would you or anyone recommend them for MCATs? Why do you recommend PR? Is there a specific portion of MCAT prep for PR that you recommend or just get a huge MCAT prep book for PR?

Thank you for all your help.

Verónica

I don't really know of many people using the Barron's books for MCAT. Princeton was pretty good to me, well I get my score on Tuesday, so that may change.

I don't know if I suggest using just one giant book. I feel like that wouldn't be enough. If you could get a set of books, you'll be better off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like mangoshakes said, one book isn't going to be enough. My recommendations:

Physics - The Berkeley Review
General Chemistry - The Berkeley Review
Organic Chemistry - The Berkeley Review
Biology - The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Science Workbook (passages) and TPR bio for review
Verbal - The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook and Examkrackers 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning

A lot has changed since the paper and pencil version. Obviously the test is now computerized. They also reduced the number of questions from 77 on the sciences to 52, and from 60 on verbal to 40. Starting in January the writing section will no longer be administered either. Also, some topics have been removed or added. For example, the MCAT no longer tests alkyne or benzene chemistry. There's also a heavier focus on molecular biology and basic biochemistry, and orgo has been very de-emphasized (my exam, for example, had one orgo passage on it and a couple discretes, that was it).

Out of curiosity what's the story behind retaking the MCAT after 7 years? You say you took the GRE, so I'm guessing you spent the last 5-7 years getting a PhD?

Hey guys I took the last paper and pencil version of the MCAT in 2005 and I am going to study and hopefully take it in December/January. Is there a good site which explains the new version of the MCAT? How has it changed?

I have the Exam Kracker books and old Kaplan books and High Yield Columbia Review. What other awesome materials should I consider getting? Where can I get good practice MCAT tests?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Verónica

When do you plan on taking it? They're doing a complete re-do of the MCAT starting 2015, if you're taking it that late.

Either way, this entire thread is full of really good information on how to study/what to use:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898