New MCAT testtakers that also took the old MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justalittlestar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know what the experience has been like for those of you who took the old MCAT and recently took the new test.

Members don't see this ad.

don't let anyone fool you: the new exam is much harder from every aspect. sorry. i took the old MCAT twice (21 & 24...long story) and then the new MCAT - august 2015 and scored 510.

honestly a good portion of the questions were similar, but definitely more critical thinking questions. definitely a good amount of "know it or you don't" questions so you can't neglect content.

the biggest thing is understanding you need more time to study for the new exam as compared to the old exam. i've seen some people study less. to do that, you'd be digging your grave.

Reactions: 1 user
don't let anyone fool you: the new exam is much harder from every aspect. sorry. i took the old MCAT twice (21 & 24...long story) and then the new MCAT - august 2015 and scored 510.

honestly a good portion of the questions were similar, but definitely more critical thinking questions. definitely a good amount of "know it or you don't" questions so you can't neglect content.

the biggest thing is understanding you need more time to study for the new exam as compared to the old exam. i've seen some people study less. to do that, you'd be digging your grave.

DAMN! I bet you were ecstatic to see that 510! I'd take a low score on the old one for a great score like that on the new one any day.

Is it beneficial to do the old AAMC exams? I probably will do them, but I'm curious how similar the physics/chem + bio/orgo is to the new exam. Obviously CARS is the same basically.

Members don't see this ad :)
no because timing is different. Not all questions in there are applicable anymore. The Q packs recycles the good stuff from the old exams and puts them in the new format. Do the "old tests" by getting the AAMC q packs.

+1 on not doing the old tests.

You wouldn't get the biochem twists that seem to accompany half the chem, o-chem, and bio questions. Also you would devote too much time to in-depth physics which seems to be seriously scaled back on the new exam.

To the OP:
I got a 33 in 2009. 517 (128,130,129,130) on the 8/5 exam. This exam is obviously harder on content and requires more test taking poise due to the longer length. As I said earlier, many of the hard science questions are synthesized from multiple disciplines. Ex: you may have a titration question that requires you to know which AAs are basic. I don't think the old exam did that much. I suppose that's what you get when you include biochemistry which is, itself, a synthesis of bio and chem. The result is that you can begin reading a question. Think to yourself, " awesome, I've got this concept nailed down." And, then still blow it because you blank on a factoid completely unrelated to the concept.

Bottom line, if you're a good test taker be thankful for the harder test. More material and a longer exam are in your best interest. If you're not a good test taker, the old test gave you a better chance of minimizing your testing issues.