New mcat to take or not ?? - while haven't take biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theresa Perry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currenly junior year and plan to take Orgo chem and physic in my junior year. I wouldn't like to take MCAT summer after Junior. However, I haven't take biochem by that time. Do you guys think is it possible to study review book for biochem Mcat and could able to do well in MCAT without taken actual MCAT?
I was thinking, if I didn't take MCAT and apply school during my senior year, I might need to take a gap year? What will be the best option. What pre-med student usually do in gap year? Also please give me suggestion for self-studying MCAT. (I am doing volunteers, research and shadowing since sophomore year however, All i need is incomplete pre med classes, MCAT and recommendation). Who should I really ask for recommendation? All professor? I could get one letter from my professor who I am doing research with. I have no idea of how to get from other people. :( help! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Slooooowww down........

Taking the MCAT without having taken Biochem is a terrible idea. Apply when you are ready. These simple type of questions such as how to get rec letters are easily answerable through the search function here or talking to your pre-med advisers amongst other people at your school.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait to take the MCAT when you are prepared. For one thing, the materials that come out later this year/next year will be better. I was a guinea pig and felt that no test prep company got it right yet. Now that actual test takers can comment, their books will be better. Biochem was a huge part of my exam.
As for gap years, do something to make yourself a stronger candidate, a more interesting person, or something that makes you happy (or any combination). Volunteer, do paid research, travel, earn money. All those things are up to you to decide.
If you plan to get letters next year before you graduate, open an Interfolio account and store your letters from your professors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school (and the MCAT) will always be there. Don't be afraid to take a gap year if you need to, could be a great chance to gain clinical exposure possibly working in healthcare (EMT, CNA, MA, medical scribe).
I would agree with the above and say take Biochem before you take your MCAT, you don't want to risk it.
As far as self-studying goes, it's just a matter of getting some good review books (EK, TPR, Kaplan, take your pick) and setting a day-by-day schedule of what chapters/content you hope to cover each day, while also making sure to do some practice questions and practice exams to get a gauge for how well you're applying the material you're studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Better to skip an app cycle to apply with the best possible app (and MCAT score) than take a foolish rick by taking the MCAT while unprepared just to apply a year earlier. Patience is a virtue, as is good choice making!

Hello,
I am currenly junior year and plan to take Orgo chem and physic in my junior year. I wouldn't like to take MCAT summer after Junior. However, I haven't take biochem by that time. Do you guys think is it possible to study review book for biochem Mcat and could able to do well in MCAT without taken actual MCAT?
I was thinking, if I didn't take MCAT and apply school during my senior year, I might need to take a gap year? What will be the best option. What pre-med student usually do in gap year? Also please give me suggestion for self-studying MCAT. (I am doing volunteers, research and shadowing since sophomore year however, All i need is incomplete pre med classes, MCAT and recommendation). Who should I really ask for recommendation? All professor? I could get one letter from my professor who I am doing research with. I have no idea of how to get from other people. :( help! thanks!

Reactions: 2 users