Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

New Med School at Central Michigan?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr.Detroit, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. maestro1625

Medical Student
    hmmm... I think it'd be hard to find a school with a lower "location ranking" than a school in Mount Pleasant...

4. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member

Totally Agree -- I went to CMU for my 1st semester of college and despised the entire experience.

5. DocOB

Medical Student
    I am graduating from CMU in 2 weeks and I can't wait to get out of MP. I really don't see how they would even start one. Whatever they decide, and that article is pretty vague, I don't see it happening for a long time if at all.

6. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever

Medical Student
    at this rate we'll have Ferris State starting one next week, and Albion the week after... I think my high school was forming an exploratory committee, also :rolleyes:

7. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Other Health Professions Student
    -Saginaw
    -Muskegon
    -Ludington
    -Alpena
    -Sault Sainte Marie

Those are just the ones I can think of that would be worse locations. But then again, I'm all for more in-state schools for Michigan regardless of where they put it.

8. maestro1625

Medical Student
    yeah, I was comparing with current US med schools though... Southern Illinois maybe?

9. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Or most of the osteopathic schools.......

Personally I don't think Mt. Pleasant is a bad location at all. I don't know what everyone is complaining about (although I suspect it has to do with a lack of things to do in your free time)

10. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Detroit's not on that list? Holy ****!

11. UMP

Medical Student
    I was downtown today for the Tiger's game and to look around Wayne State... and it is absolutely crazy downtown. People were absolutely everywhere, it looked like Time Square times 5... Wayne St. campus looked pretty active, too, but around the campus and U Towers it was completely dead...

12. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Well, I was trying to think like a typical premed so I had to suspend common sense and not look at important things like safety, cost of living, etc. :smuggrin:

13. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah, check. It's all about the kids.

14. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds like everyone from U Towers might've been down at Tiger Stad--, Comerica Park.

We should get to take that name back from those bastards. It was a stupid name to begin with. I think it should be called Bill Bonds Park.

15. broadwyrm918

broadwyrm918 Member

Pre-Medical
    Actually I am not surprised that the idea of starting a new medical school in mt. pleasant has been brought up....I do research with our university president and he really wants to push the research/medical/science part of CMU. I believe he was either accepted to medical school, or attended for a while in Florida, and for undergraduate he was a chemistry major.

I know Mt. Pleasant isn't the ideal spot for a medical school, but there are enough hospitals in Michigan that CMU could affiliate with hospital systems in other communities (sort of like the MSU community choice for years 3 and 4). Really, it could work....and as a graduate from CMU in less than 2 weeks :) I will be excited to see Central expand in the future.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. DocOB

Medical Student

dude, have you been to times square? That's a lot of F-in people.

whats' up rm? Do you think it would be allo or osteo?

18. UMP

Medical Student
    yes i have been to times square... and yes it was that many people. Hockeytown was packed because of the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings all on at the same time... there was something going on at the Fox Theater, it just looked like the city was alive. The area around Wayne State and the med campus is more bleak than I remembered, though. More than half of the people walking around on the streets looked homeless...

19. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned
    Banned

Indeed check out my med school list in the allopathic section. If this goes thru it will be the 27th new med school either built or in planning within the last 6-7 years.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=277016

20. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I saw something a few years ago when I was still in high school that central was giving out scholarships to have people major in chemistry. They must really have had a bad program to have to recruit people in that way.

21. maestro1625

Medical Student
    well if you're smart enough to major in chem, you're probably smart enough to go to a better school than central...

...waits for someone to get offended... :rolleyes:

22. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    It's a little different 9-5 Mon-Fri when the Oakland County commuter:homeless ratio picks up a bit. Also more DMC staff buzzing around the med campus.

23. maestro1625

Medical Student
    also, rainy days ironically make the place look a little cleaner since the homeless are all under shelter...

24. DropkickMurphy

Banned

For the love of Christ, let it be an allopathic program. There are more than enough DO programs springing up as of late.

25. brightness

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    CMU has weak admission standards for undergrad students and the location isn't ideal. BUT, as a junior here at CMU, we do have strong programs- like our PA school- and a focus on health sciences. Also, even though the university does not have stringent admissions requirements, there are some very smart people here. My roomate is a Chem major with a 3.7 GPA. We also have an excellent teaching program...and I would be excited to see CMU expand their school programs. I think that CMU is capable of having a competitive medical program; Wayne State is not a particularly selective school for undergraduate admissions, but they have a highly respected med program.
    :D, Lindsay
    Relatively happy loser who goes to CMU. :p

26. mfrenkie

mfrenkie Member

Pre-Medical
    The whole point of the school at Central is so that Beaumont hospital (largest admitting hospital in the country... I think) can have it's own med school. Beaumont went to central with the idea because they want to be able to raise their own doctors from the beginning. I'm under the impression that some of Beaumont's research money (more than most med schools get) will end up being funneled straight into the school

27. bet22

bet22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought Beaumont was partnering with Oakland University for a medical school, no? I have not heard anything about Beaumont and CMU...

28. ddmo

ddmo BMF

No, Beaumont is partnering with Oakland Univ. as the above poster mentioned.

29. E from the D

i don't know about this. are you sure you didn't confuse cmu with oakland. OU announced partnership with beaumont to begin a medical school starting fall of 2011.

30. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*

Resident [Any Field]
  31. E from the D

next up eastern michigan and then western michigan