dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Anyone know if there are any new med schools that will be accepting applicants for the upcoming cycle?

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Do you guys think new med schools will be much easier to get in than other schools?

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone know if there are any new med schools that will be accepting applicants for the upcoming cycle?
I think Hofstra (NY) and Oakland (MI) will be accepting apps this season. Commonwealth (PA) and VaTech (VA) will also be in their second year.

Do you guys think new med schools will be much easier to get in than other schools?
Maybe, since a lot of people don't want to be guinea pigs. But sometimes new med schools offer amazing/full scholarships to the entire first class, which could make things very competitive. UCF's first class was quite amazing statiscally (especially for a brand new med school) and all received full rides, I think.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2009
PA
Status
Attending Physician
I think Hofstra (NY) and Oakland (MI) will be accepting apps this season. Commonwealth (PA) and VaTech (VA) will also be in their second year.

Maybe, since a lot of people don't want to be guinea pigs. But sometimes new med schools offer amazing/full scholarships to the entire first class, which could make things very competitive. UCF's first class was quite amazing statiscally (especially for a brand new med school) and all received full rides, I think.
Yep. Which I think is a pretty sweet deal.

Ziff700

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I interviewed at Commonwealth for its inaugural class and was very impressed, you really do get to be a trailblazer and I imagine most everyone on faculty will come from other schools just for the exciting opportunity to develop a program. Of course the 80,000 scholarship would have been nice too.

Check out the wikipedia page on medical schools in the US, you can sort by date and at the bottom is a list of upcoming medical schools. Of course, check the schools websites to be sure. Commonwealth didn't show up on the AMCAS until October due to preliminary accreditation stuff (they can't be fully accredited until they graduate a class). So keep that in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States

theWUbear

EM PGY2
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I interviewed at Commonwealth for its inaugural class and was very impressed, you really do get to be a trailblazer and I imagine most everyone on faculty will come from other schools just for the exciting opportunity to develop a program. Of course the 80,000 scholarship would have been nice too.

Check out the wikipedia page on medical schools in the US, you can sort by date and at the bottom is a list of upcoming medical schools. Of course, check the schools websites to be sure. Commonwealth didn't show up on the AMCAS until October due to preliminary accreditation stuff (they can't be fully accredited until they graduate a class). So keep that in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States
A lot less sweet a deal when you factor in that commonwealth students are ineligible for federal loans (they are hoping to fix that within a year)

Other new medical schools should not have that problem, since they are affiliated with already functioning/accredited colleges, whereas TCMC was a completely new identity.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The main thing I hear that is a disadvantage for the first class of a new medical school is not having med students above you to help you out since they've been there before. If you're the first class, you're on your own - you're the first.

Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Commonwealth didn't show up on the AMCAS application when people were applying last June?

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Since this is going to be my first time every applying, there is a lot I don't know yet about the app process.

So.... if let's say the school doesn't get accredited till later in the year (around September lets say), I'm assuming it's possible to add them in then.

It seems the newer schools are emphasizing primary care and will select according to these goals... interesting.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
another note, new schools tend to take a significantly less number of students with respect to their future capacity. like 1/4 of what they hope to be accepting in 5 years or so. also, if its a state school they will most definitely honor these obligations, thus you are looking at about 10-20 spots out of 50 available for a new school.... and factor in that everyone and their mother will be applying (thinking it will be easier) what results is a very selective first year.

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
OAKLAND UNIVERSITY has a new med school accepting students. I believe they have a 4th year scholarship offer for it's first class of students. They also offer research scholarships that go along with the capstone requirement. I'd look into it. Oakland is paired with a great hospital.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
The main thing I hear that is a disadvantage for the first class of a new medical school is not having med students above you to help you out since they've been there before. If you're the first class, you're on your own - you're the first.
i have no friends, this wont be much of a problem.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone else know that website for this? It talks about all the schools and which steps they are in the acredation process.....I cant think off the top of my head, but i have it saved on my computer at home (Im at work right now)

If it is not up when i get home, i will post it.

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone else know that website for this? It talks about all the schools and which steps they are in the acredation process.....I cant think off the top of my head, but i have it saved on my computer at home (Im at work right now)

If it is not up when i get home, i will post it.
I think it's the LCME... http://www.lcme.org/newschoolprocess.htm

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
anyone have a thought as to why all three of michigans new proposed med schools (oakland u, western michigan, and central michigan) are all going MD (to bring the total to 6) instead of going DO (of which michigan has the highest percentage of DO physicians yet only one school)

just curious about any thoughts

jason3278

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status
Medical Student
anyone have a thought as to why all three of michigans new proposed med schools (oakland u, western michigan, and central michigan) are all going MD (to bring the total to 6) instead of going DO (of which michigan has the highest percentage of DO physicians yet only one school)

just curious about any thoughts
This is just hearsay, but supposedly it has been said by one of the higher-ups at MSU-COM that "nothing happens with osteopathic medical education in Michigan without the involvement of MSU-COM". Or something to that effect.

I know that several years ago an out-of-state DO school wanted to set up a branch campus in Detroit. Well, that didn't happen and now MSU-COM has a presence in urban & metro Detroit.

Apparently, more recently there were talks between Grand Valley State University and Spectrum Health (a hospital affiliated with MSU-CHM) about setting up a DO school separate from MSU in Grand Rapids. Those ideas were squashed as well.

vitaebellaa

7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
How long does it typically take a med school to start accepting students at full capacity? (generally speaking)

I am not going to be applying for a few years but I am definitely going to apply to Hofstra. If anyone is familiar with NY/LGI, Hofstra is affiliated with North Shore LI Jewish health system which is an awesome network :thumbup: Even though it is going to be a new med school, I its affiliation alone will make it competitive.

tungsten87

7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
How long does it typically take a med school to start accepting students at full capacity? (generally speaking)

I am not going to be applying for a few years but I am definitely going to apply to Hofstra. If anyone is familiar with NY/LGI, Hofstra is affiliated with North Shore LI Jewish health system which is an awesome network :thumbup: Even though it is going to be a new med school, I its affiliation alone will make it competitive.
However, North Shore is already affiliated with other medical schools, including NYCOM and some other allopathic schools, so i don't know, realistically, how many positions Hofstra will get for med students there.

vitaebellaa

7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
However, North Shore is already affiliated with other medical schools, including NYCOM and some other allopathic schools, so i don't know, realistically, how many positions Hofstra will get for med students there.
Yeah, I can see how this is an issue. There are A LOT of NSLIJ affiliated hospitals though (at least imo)

christina, are you a student a NYCOM? I am aiming for allopathic, but I am definitely interested in NYCOM. I actually live right down the road from the westbury campus actually