New medical school acceptee stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a general trend with regards to the opening of new medical schools and the stats of their matriculated students. Are the stats relatively lower compared to other established schools or are they generally competitive in comparison to nationwide? Or does it depend on the stats of other schools in the state?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

For the first year, the stats are often a little lower: this tends to go up fast.

See Oakland and Virginia Tech.

Hofstra's inaugural class was very strong. They're in what, year 3? and their median MCAT is already 34. Lot's a smart Jews on Long Island. And I should know, because I went to school with their parents!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to generalize, I would say slightly lower GPA slightly higher MCAT.

But I wouldn't generalize.

Reactions: 1 user
@WedgeDawg Good to know. Thanks !

@Goro So definitely want to be sending in app during their first year of accepting students.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've heard from those particularly knowledgeable about some of these new schools in the know and from what I've seen some of these new schools might be willing to take a little more of a "chance" on an applicant their first few years of existence in some cases.

Hofstra has had some track record its first few years of being willing to take a look into apps from people with below average GPA's if the rest of their app is on point. The same could be said of Va Tech. Meanwhile FSU with its 28 MCAT median has shown some tendency to be willing to overlook a mediocre MCAT for an otherwise stellar MCAT.

Quinnipac's average MCAT has skyrocketed 3 points the past 2 years while their total GPA has stayed the same. Western Michigan is too new to have enough data. Oakland's MCAT has fluctuated between a 30 and 31 the past few years but their GPA has gone up about 0.1 in that time.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Seton Hall when it opens. I suspect the other new MD schools are basically only going to be relevant to IS applicants.