jkdoctor

5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2013
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
More details on med school proposed for former Camp Strake site
Oct 21, 2014, 2:27pm CDT

Sam Houston State University plans to build a new medical school at the Camp Strake property, which will become the first medical school in Montgomery County to meet the needs of an expanding health care market near The Woodlands.

Plans for the new medical school are still in the early stages, but university officials have worked on the details for the past 18 months, said Michael Lacourse, dean of the college of health sciences at Sam Houston.

Alongside the osteopathic medical school, the university is also exploring programs for physical and occupational therapy, public health, mental health, advanced practice nursing, physician's assistants and imaging and lab sciences, Lacourse told the HBJ.

Right now, the university is developing its final plans and will begin fundraising, contingent on board approval. Lacourse would not disclose an estimated cost, but did say the goal is to get private donations or align with community partners to help fund the project.

The budget for the plan projects the school to admit 150 students annually. The school could be open as early as fall 2018 if all goes according to plan, said Lacourse.

"The medical school piece is part of a larger initiative around implementing many degree programs in the primary care area," said Lacourse. "We're creating educational opportunities for careers in primary care, preventive health and wellness."

Camp Strake is owned by Johnson Development Corp., which it bought in November 2013 for an undisclosed price. It recently revealed plans for new single and multifamily homes, office space and retail space as well.
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2014/10/more-details-on-med-school-proposed-for-former.html

Reactions: AlteredScale

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Interesting. A SHSU-COM sounds pretty legit. It would be wonderful to have more state DO schools, instead of LUCOM's and ACHE's.

If they are really planning to make this state DO school though, I imagine funding might be difficult. Hopefully they don't have to resort to private schools or branch campuses (ie NYITCOM-ASU) in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrKershaw

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Interesting. A SHSU-COM sounds pretty legit. It would be wonderful to have more state DO schools, instead of LUCOM's and ACHE's.

If they are really planning to make this state DO school though, I imagine funding might be difficult. Hopefully they don't have to resort to private schools or branch campuses (ie NYITCOM-ASU) in the process.
Do u know how many medical schools are already in that state?

UTsksk

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So far there's TCOM, TT El Paso, TT Lubbock, UTSW, UTHSCSA, UTMB, UTH, and Baylor. UT RGV and UT Austin are opening up Fall 2016...so by Fall 2016, that's 10 medical schools in TX. To me, that seems like a lot.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So far there's TCOM, TT El Paso, TT Lubbock, UTSW, UTHSCSA, UTMB, UTH, and Baylor. UT RGV and UT Austin are opening up Fall 2016...so by Fall 2016, that's 10 medical schools in TX. To me, that seems like a lot.
Yeah, but Texas is pretty big and has a huge population. Like >26 million, and its expanding heavily through both reproductive rates and migration. I know a lot of people who have left the midwest (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc) for jobs in Texas.

There are what? ~180 medical schools in the country. Total population of the US is ~320 million. That means Texas has >8% of the population. 8% of the medical schools in the US is ~14.4. Not the best way to estimate it (it would be better to estimate actual number of seats), but it puts things a little in perspective.

10-11 sounds like a ton to most people, but Texas is the second most populous state by a lot (second to CA which has 11 schools and is looking to open 2-3 more). To put that in perspective, NY state has 15-16 medical schools, yet a population of ~19-20 million (3rd most populous state).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Status
Dental Student
great,a lot of people who have left the midwest (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc) for jobs in Texas.

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yea halloman makes a good Pt. 10 schools for the size of Texas isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: ChiTownBHawks

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hot and humid in summer there, that's for sure.

WTEngel

7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Status
Medical Student
Utsktsk, do you know what ended up happening with UIW's proposed DO school? I heard it was scrapped, then I saw a report from June that said it was going to happen...

I don't necessarily see an issue with new schools opening up, however there is always the age old issue of whether or not there will be expanded residency opportunities for the additional 300-600 medical graduates that will be produced eventually (depending on whether 2 or 3 new school open, and how big their class size is.)

Where you go to medical school is not necessarily the best predictor of what location you will choose to set up practice in, where you attend residency is however a good predictor.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I think it's awesome that a state is willing to put forth that much funding to ensure medical school seats for as many residents as possible. Go Texas!

Reactions: a runner

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Hot and humid in summer there, that's for sure.
I was born in Texas and spent most of my childhood in Conroe. During the summer, the humidity is oppressive, to say the least. It's like a free sauna, all day every day for months.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was born in Texas and spent most of my childhood in Conroe. During the summer, the humidity is oppressive, to say the least. It's like a free sauna, all day every day for months.
I would take a little extra moisture in the air in exchange for a $40k/year tuition discount, no problem.
And West Texas isn't that humid is it?

Reactions: a runner

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I would take a little extra moisture in the air in exchange for a $40k/year tuition discount, no problem.
And West Texas isn't that humid is it?
No, but Conroe ain't in West Texas. The Woodlands area (in which Conroe is located) is hot and damp like the devil's armpit, but once you go about a hundred miles or so West it starts to get pretty dry. Not like, desert dry until way farther out, but at least not crazy humid like it is in the SE of the state.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, but Conroe ain't in West Texas. The Woodlands area (in which Conroe is located) is hot and damp like the devil's armpit, but once you go about a hundred miles or so West it starts to get pretty dry. Not like, desert dry until way farther out, but at least not crazy humid like it is in the SE of the state.
Yeah, I was talking about Texas schools in general. If I were a Texas resident, and if I had applied MD, I would have been all over Texas Tech-El Paso.

UTsksk

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm from deep south TX so the heat that I'm dealing with now in Fort Worth is nothing compared to what I'm used to.

Reactions: Mad Jack

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Greetings from Houston, Texas,

I am an alum of Sam Houston State University (SHSU) and I must say I'm pretty excited about our newly proposed medical school. However, I just wanted to clarify some things . SHSU has conducted a feasibility study and the results suggests that we should explore the opportunity to create a new medical school. As you guys pretty much already know Texas needs more primary care physicians. Additionally, Montgomery County (home to the proposed medical facility) is the most medically underserved county in the great state of Texas. Our goal at SHSU is to eliminate the health disparity in our region. The medical school will be similar to UNT. It will be it's own school under the SHSU banner called SHSU Health Science Center. The health science center will provide training for: DO students, physician assistants, registered nurses, advanced nurses, doctor of physical therapy and occupational therapy.

Our university administrators feel that the time is right to make a substantial move in the healthcare sector. It's the perfect storm, a growing research university in a medically underserved area and top tier hospitals being built right in our back yard. To that end, St. Luke's Health said it will develop a $110 million medical facility in the Woodlands and Houston Methodist has announced plans for a $328 million hospital in the Woodlands as well. SHSU dean of health sciences talked with hospital CEOs and the central theme was: We need more healthcare providers to help with the severe shortage in this region.The Woodlands/ Conroe area is growing tremendously and we would be the only medical school in the county to provide those hospital systems with a workforce. We are well positioned for this move and we expect a formal announcement in about a year. We are in the silent phase of our capital campaign to raise $100 million+.

I've provided some links that might be of interest to this discussion:

http://www.shsu.edu/pin_www/[email protected]/2014/healthsciencescampus.html

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/medical/article/Houston-Methodist-announces-projects-in-The-5514528.php#/0
Is it safe to assume you're going to be working with these area hospitals to develop some residency programs? Otherwise you're not going to be creating much of a workforce for them, or for your region of the state.

Also, will this school potentially be a state-funded, public med school? Or would it more likely be a private venture working in conjunction with a state university, like the new DO school being developed bat New Mexico State?

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hello NurWollen,

The specifics of the partnerships with the six new hospitals in the Woodlands are mostly unknown as we are still just in the early development stages. Will the hospitals be used for our residency programs? Possibly, but I'm not sure. In our alumni magazine it was well stated that already 3 hospital CEOs said they are in desperate need of healthcare providers. The conversations with them and our leadership team at SHSU helped to jump start talks of a new medical school. The school will be a public medical school and will require significant capital hence, the university capital campaign for $100 million. We expect our partners to donate gifts to help our efforts. The medical school will be under the SHSU banner. It's unofficial name will be: SHSU Health Science Center.
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypresscreek/news/sam-houston-state-university-mulls-health-and-medical-campus-in/article_a7ef0466-5dd8-11e4-b620-1f46805a0dbe.html

This article states "Funding probably would be private through a partnership." If it is a public medical school, I assume the state of Texas/taxpayers will eventually be providing funding. It typically seems a goal of other new DO schools (like the one in NM) to avoid seeking any public funding.

Last edited:

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello NurWollen,

The specifics of the partnerships with the six new hospitals in the Woodlands are mostly unknown as we are still just in the early development stages. Will the hospitals be used for our residency programs? Possibly, but I'm not sure. In our alumni magazine it was well stated that already 3 hospital CEOs said they are in desperate need of healthcare providers. The conversations with them and our leadership team at SHSU helped to jump start talks of a new medical school. The school will be a public medical school and will require significant capital hence, the university capital campaign for $100 million. We expect our partners to donate gifts to help our efforts. The medical school will be under the SHSU banner. It's unofficial name will be: SHSU Health Science Center.
Best of luck to you. It sounds like a good thing you've got going.

Reactions: BLACKTEXASDOC
Jul 25, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will this school be a TMDSAS member? And are they trying to find a rich daddy like Dell? (Michael Dell wrote a check to put his name on the UT Austin med school - whose operations will be funded by UT and Travis County homeowners via an increase in their property taxes.)

Nov 8, 2014
Harrogate, TN
Status
Medical Student
I am very very pleased to learn about this medical school! I am a graduate from SHSU and look forward to knowing more about the developing of this new project. I plan on graduating medical school in 2018, which is when this school will most likely open.