New Medical School Opening in Orlando!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gotcha

he he he he he!

April Fools! :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I think I read it's an annex to Disney's All Star Sports Resort. Or was it the Polynesian? Eh, either way, it would be exciting to take the Monorail to class!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Swiper The Fox
I think I read it's an annex to Disney's All Star Sports Resort. Or was it the Polynesian? Eh, either way, it would be exciting to take the Monorail to class!

yes it would...
talk about a cool perk...

They're opening a new Disneyland in Hong Kong and I'm NOT kidding (Do an online search if you don't believe me). Disney's trying to take over the world...ARGHHH!!!:wow:

i saw this thread and thought it was legit.... because UCF has been trying to get a med school. orlando (supposedly) is the largest US city without a med school (i'm guessing las vegas will take that title soon one way or the other). fsu, uf, and usf are all expanding their class size to try and get more doctors practicing in the state, so the logical next step would be another medical school. and orlando is by far the most logical location.

so yeah, you go us ... :thumbup: but for me at least it was gullability compounded by reality.

Actually there is a new medical school opening in Florida this fall... right here in Sarasota-Bradenton (Lakewood Ranch to be precise).

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

Just what Sarasota needs, more ego-stroking and quacking. yay

Originally posted by mlw03
i saw this thread and thought it was legit.... because UCF has been trying to get a med school. orlando (supposedly) is the largest US city without a med school (i'm guessing las vegas will take that title soon one way or the other). fsu, uf, and usf are all expanding their class size to try and get more doctors practicing in the state, so the logical next step would be another medical school. and orlando is by far the most logical location.

so yeah, you go us ... :thumbup: but for me at least it was gullability compounded by reality.

Give it up--you're just as gullible as the rest of us. ;)

admitting it is half the battle...

I attend UCF in Orlando and the rumor is - partially - true. Orlando IS going to get a medical school at some point in time.

President Hitt at UCF just announced the findings that a committee he organized said it's a feasable endeavor. The time line is another story, however. At the EARLIEST we're talking 10 years.

The hiccup in the matter is the fact that there is no large hospital close to the campus. Downtown is 15 minutes away. We have some HUGE hospitals downtown (Florida hospital, Orlando Regional, Arnold Palmer Children's) but you'd have to travel.

Supposedly there's supposed to be one in Austin in about a decade. Maybe I'll just keep my crappy apartment in West Campus and hold my breath until then.

-M-Dawg

see, i wasn't totally out there. and yeah, the UCF med school is waaaaaay down the road. as for the hiccup: plenty of schools have their teaching hospital off-site. usf, emory, dartmouth all come to mind. so it's definately do-able.

Originally posted by drlexygoat
I attend UCF in Orlando and the rumor is - partially - true. Orlando IS going to get a medical school at some point in time.

President Hitt at UCF just announced the findings that a committee he organized said it's a feasable endeavor. The time line is another story, however. At the EARLIEST we're talking 10 years.

The hiccup in the matter is the fact that there is no large hospital close to the campus. Downtown is 15 minutes away. We have some HUGE hospitals downtown (Florida hospital, Orlando Regional, Arnold Palmer Children's) but you'd have to travel.

Originally posted by mlw03
see, i wasn't totally out there. and yeah, the UCF med school is waaaaaay down the road. as for the hiccup: plenty of schools have their teaching hospital off-site. usf, emory, dartmouth all come to mind. so it's definately do-able.

Yeah, I'm stoked to have even the possibility of having a med school at my alma matter!!! I was a "student advocate" on the planning board for it this year and got to put in my vote to move this to the next planning stage.

Originally posted by boomuntilnoon

Just what Sarasota needs, more ego-stroking and quacking. yay

Elaborate please. What does quacking refer to?