New Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are they due to be out?

April 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

April first is the day we learn that Hopkins and Harvard have dropped to #50 and #49, respectively...

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
April first is the day we learn that Hopkins and Harvard have dropped to #50 and #49, respectively...

WooohooO!

Not.

Hey Soul, are you heading to Case next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, right now I'm waiting to hear from Pitt and interview/hear from Rochester before I make any final decisions (and of course waiting for CCLCM, but that's sorta Case right?). I'd say that I'm leaning heavily towards Case, but part of it depends on who offers the best financial package. How's that for an evasive response?
yourself?

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Well, right now I'm waiting to hear from Pitt and interview/hear from Rochester before I make any final decisions (and of course waiting for CCLCM, but that's sorta Case right?). I'd say that I'm leaning heavily towards Case, but part of it depends on who offers the best financial package. How's that for an evasive response?
yourself?

Case ;)

Originally posted by exmike
woohoo case unite!

Yo exmike, you coming?

So far I know juddson is gonna be there.

Forgret Drew and Sinai, come to Case!

So is it Case over Drew, exmike? (Congrats on Drew, BTW)

Wow, Kashue and I posted the same question at the same time. Wacky.

lyra, kash - yeah i'm leaning towards case over drew b/c of all the problems at king/drew. I dunno if i can turn down going to the city if mssm took me, but i'd be more than happy at case, so it looks like a good situation for me in any way!

thanks btw!

Originally posted by lyragrl
Wow, Kashue and I posted the same question at the same time. Wacky.

lyragrl, forget NU and Columbia, Yale and Hopkins, come to Case!

Originally posted by Kashue
lyragrl, forget NU and Columbia, Yale and Hopkins, come to Case!

lol yeah!

actually she has to go to PnS so I can be right.

lol yeah!

actually she has to go to PnS so I can be right.

pfft! She didn't even apply to Case ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my professional actor husband might be a little miffed to find himself living in Ohio... ;)

I think my professional actor husband might be a little miffed to find himself living in Ohio... ;)

but you guys would be "living in sin with a safety pin saying cleveland rocks...cleveland rocks..."

;)

My research supervisor is moving from L.A. to Ohio (Cincinnati) and she LOVES it there (She's originally from Florida though).

You never know, some people may end up loving Ohio even though it's...you know...Ohio :D

Originally posted by CalBeE

You never know, some people may end up loving Ohio even though it's...you know...Ohio :D

Nope. I've lived here for a while now and it's still as bland as ever! :p

It IS Ohio. I think when they were naming the state of Ohio, they picked the Cherokee word for "depressed." ;)

j/k, it's not that bad!

My research supervisor is moving from L.A. to Ohio (Cincinnati) and she LOVES it there (She's originally from Florida though).

Let's see: live in NYC which is really expensive, overcrowded & dirty

vs

Cleveland which is: cheap, not as crowded as NYC and pretty clean from what I saw

I'll take Cleveland - it's 4 years anyway. I can always come home for residency. I'm doubting it tho. I want to live in the West coast for my residency ;).

pfft, two words:

Drew Carrey(sp?).

At least he'll be far away from hordes of groupies in Ohio :p

Originally posted by tautomer
Nope. I've lived here for a while now and it's still as bland as ever! :p

It IS Ohio. I think when they were naming the state of Ohio, they picked the Cherokee word for "depressed." ;)

j/k, it's not that bad!

But if you say that you're from Ohio, I'm sure you'll get more attention from people that you first meet. Imagine meeting *another* person from California or New York...now THAT's bland....hehe ;)

I am hoping UMASS jumps up to 30 or so, well actually I would hope a top ten, but that would never happen. Does anyone have any information about the future of this program?

lyra, kash - yeah i'm leaning towards case over drew b/c of all the problems at king/drew.

Good call. That's what I would do if I were you.

Exmike,

You are waiting on Sinia? Is that right?

Kashue, what's your status at NU?

judd

Originally posted by juddson
Exmike,

You are waiting on Sinia? Is that right?

Kashue, what's your status at NU?

judd

Waitlisted at NU.

Waitlisted at NU.

Judd, yeah still waiting on MSSM, didnt send a LOI though b/c i'm not sure id pick it over case. Kash would you go to NU over case?

Oh my gosh, of course Kash would go to Northwestern over Case, no?

I think I would, wouldn't I?

judd

Case Western<--Ohio

Northwestern<--Downtown Chicago, few blocks from the Magnificent Mile

I think the choice is obvious ;)

Case Western<--Ohio

Northwestern<--Downtown Chicago, few blocks from the Magnificent Mile

I think the choice is obvious ;)
Maybe I'm misinformed but I have always considered the two 'western schools to be academic equivalents. But if you're gonna throw in location.. well then.. yeah duh!

Judd, yeah still waiting on MSSM, didnt send a LOI though b/c i'm not sure id pick it over case. Kash would you go to NU over case?

The only way off the NU waitlist is constant letters/badgering and loi's. I'm not sure if I want to do that. I wasn't that dissapointed when I got waitlisted - they made my choice easier ;).

To be honest, if I had the choice between the two, it would come down to financial aid packages. Exmike is right: Case and NU are similar academically/prestige/etc(peer assesment 3.9(case) vs. 3.8(NU), residency director assesment 3.7(case) vs 3.9(NU)). Honestly, imho, I think Case is going to shoot up in the ranks, especially with their new Cleveland Clinic afilliation. This is going to be good for 3rd and 4th year students since we'll be able to do our rotations at both Clinic and University Hospitals. In addition, I'm really excited about their new public health oriented philosophy. I've got a feeling Case is going to be an incredible school in the future (if not already).

As to living in Chicago vs Cleveland: location is not a big factor for me. As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm tired of the dense NYC life. NYC does get boring and I don't like it here, nor does my wife. I'm looking for a place with a more family oriented side to it. I think Cleveland would be good for me and my wife. I've lived in NYC for 24 years and I think a change of scenery would be good. And if I don't like it, I can always leave Cleveland after the 4 years. I've been accepted to 2 nyc schools, but I'm going to decline. Anyway, I'm coming to Case so far. I'm just waiting on their financial aid package before being 100% sure.

I hope to see exmike and juddson as my future classmates!

As to MSSM and Case, go with Case exmike. Trust me!

Originally posted by juddson
Oh my gosh, of course Kash would go to Northwestern over Case, no?

I think I would, wouldn't I?

judd

No you wouldn't judd ;).

As to living in Chicago vs Cleveland: location is not a big factor for me. As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm tired of the dense NYC life. NYC does get boring and I don't like it here, nor does my wife. I'm looking for a place with a more family oriented side to it. I think Cleveland would be good for me and my wife. I've lived in NYC for 24 years and I think a change of scenery would be good. And if I don't like it, I can always leave Cleveland after the 4 years. I've been accepted to 2 nyc schools, but I'm going to decline. Anyway, I'm coming to Case so far. I'm just waiting on their financial aid package before being 100% sure.

You got a good point. After living in California for almost 7 years, I think a change of scenary will be good for me, but at the same time, I still wanna move to a big city though (I declined Vanderbilt)

why does rank matter? there are some med schools that don't choose to participate in the rankings, so they get ranked lower....so how is ranking a good measure of how "good" a school is?

Originally posted by camstah
why does rank matter? there are some med schools that don't choose to participate in the rankings, so they get ranked lower....so how is ranking a good measure of how "good" a school is?

Rank matters in that it is another one of the MANY variables we will use to evaulate which school we will attend. Relative ranking is obviously only helpful if the schools is part of the ranking system a la USNews. Noone is saying that schools that dont participate are automatically bad, its just that there will be one less bit of information for us to make an informed choice.

The USNews rankings, to beat a dead horse, is just a broad stroke of which schools might provide better opportunities for their students through the measure of reputation, selectivity, and research. Many people use those measures in selecting their medical schools, so the rankings are an AID in comparind said measures.

Sure, rankings matter, but not THAT much. I'd go to USC in a heartbeat over Case Western even though it's ranked more than 10 spots lower. But thats b/c i'm from Cali, so the value of those 10 spots on US news is pretty irrelevant to me.

To beat the dead horse again, rankings are a guide, use them at your own discretion, and use some judgement rather than blindly accepting what USnews spits out as fact.

Honestly, imho, I think Case is going to shoot up in the ranks, especially with their new Cleveland Clinic afilliation. This is going to be good for 3rd and 4th year students since we'll be able to do our rotations at both Clinic and University Hospitals.

I don't think the Cleveland Clinic would be a very rewarding or as effective an educational experience in terms of doing core 3rd-year rotations. 4th-year electives in some specialties might be interesting; I think the main benefit is to those core overachievers who want to seek out top folks in the field to do research with and associate themselves with their reflected glory. Medical students on rotations need hands-on experience; I'd rather go through LA-County learning skills acquired through direct patient management that would help me in residency than watch fellows deal with specialized care at the Clinic.

Originally posted by fullefect1
I am hoping UMASS jumps up to 30 or so, well actually I would hope a top ten, but that would never happen. Does anyone have any information about the future of this program?

I think UMass will rise in the rankings. I compare UMass to UTSW. UTSW started out in the 1950's I believe and rose through the ranking due to a great curriculum and research, recruiting. 11 Howard Hughes Investigators and 4 Nobel's I believe. UMass is investing heavily in research and is already strong in primary care. I am a grad student here in a brand new research building and there are plans to build another. I would not be shocked if UMass was in top 30 or 20 in ten to twenty years. It takes a bit to rise from the shadows of those institutions 40 miles east of here.

Originally posted by xaelia
I don't think the Cleveland Clinic would be a very rewarding or as effective an educational experience in terms of doing core 3rd-year rotations. 4th-year electives in some specialties might be interesting; I think the main benefit is to those core overachievers who want to seek out top folks in the field to do research with and associate themselves with their reflected glory. Medical students on rotations need hands-on experience; I'd rather go through LA-County learning skills acquired through direct patient management that would help me in residency than watch fellows deal with specialized care at the Clinic.

I've always been told that CC and Mayo are not conducive to training residents at all. Rather, these two hospitals focus A LOT MORE on fellowship-level training. Because of this, I suspect that they may not be the best places for training med students (not that they are BAD, mind you, just perhaps not as great as their namebrand would otherwise suggest). If these places restrict what even RESIDENTS can do relative to the fellows (which I know is the case at most places, but to the degree that it is here), I suspect that med students do not do much while there.