New Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd22283

Titleist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Louisiana College in Pineville, LA is planning to open a new medical school in Pineville by 2012. Sounds like they will start around 60 something students and move up to around 100 after a while. Great news for pre-meds since we need more doctors than the current schools can produce...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20090725/NEWS04/907250352/Louisiana-College-hopes-to-open-medical-school-in-2012

Members don't see this ad.

That school sounds like it's crazy. An enrollment of 1056 in '07 and they're attempting to open a school of allied health (done last year), a law school (in 2011) and a med school (2012) in a 4 year period. Where is all the money coming from in this economy???

Members don't see this ad :)
also one opening up in michigan, and another somewhere in new york. And 2 UC med schools by 2013 or so. All these things are going to pop up by the time i should be graduating med school lol great timing....

Just a heads up, Louisiana College is pretty conservative, so it might be somewhat like Loma Linda of the South but the Baptist version and a little less restrictions. I think for undergrad, though, you sign something saying you won't drink or something like that. Just a Louisiana resident opinion.

do you think there will be any risks involved in going to a medical school that just opened up?

do you think there will be any risks involved in going to a medical school that just opened up?

The real risk I see for you new entering kids, is the fact more graduates are being yielded, yet the # of residencies spots remains THE SAME :scared:

The number of medical schools opening has no relevence to most of the medical profession. But the more medical students means more competition for the same number of residency spots. Typically, FMGs fill the rest of the slots so they will definitely be squeezed in the coming years.

Definitely, if the medical school isn't affiliated with a medical center or a major hospital nearby, you might have problem doing your rotations. This might not be a problem if you're doing primary care or internal medicine. But if you plan on going into a high paying competitive specialty (i.e. dermatology, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, opthamology, ENT) you might run into problems since your home institution does not have one of those departments, which means that you'll have to rotate elsewhere. Also, since your medical school is so new, it might also be harder to get into a competitive residency since your institution doesn't have a known track record of residency placements.

also one opening up in michigan, and another somewhere in new york. And 2 UC med schools by 2013 or so. All these things are going to pop up by the time i should be graduating med school lol great timing....

:laugh: I highly doubt that projected date is relevant nowadays. There are UCSD professors (oh alma mater :rolleyes:) recommending shutting down UC Merced, Riverside, and Santa Cruz for the sake of the other UCs. They have no money, the state is in crisis mode, etc etc etc

I believe they recently said that they are still continuing with the UCR medical school as planned but that the UCMerced medical school timeline has been hyperextended, and they are first going to try establish a program like UCR has had with UCLA for awhile. (where they train a small number of students in the first 2 years and then those students transfer to an established UC medical school for the remaining 2 years.)

I say open up med schools in UC riverside, CSUN, Cal Poly SLO, and UCSB by 2010 and have enrollment of like 200 in each.

I believe they recently said that they are still continuing with the UCR medical school as planned but that the UCMerced medical school timeline has been hyperextended, and they are first going to try establish a program like UCR has had with UCLA for awhile. (where they train a small number of students in the first 2 years and then those students transfer to an established UC medical school for the remaining 2 years.)

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_medical25.48633f6.html

As of yesterday, UCR does not look like they will be getting the money they need and there's talk about pushing back the projected date of 2012

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_medical25.48633f6.html

As of yesterday, UCR does not look like they will be getting the money they need and there's talk about pushing back the projected date of 2012

im well aware of the impending death of the UC system and the 800 mil budget cut, i doubt either of those will ever open. UC merced is just too new and lets face it UCR is a the joke of the UC system. But just saying its at least planned at the moment. Id be surprised if either those opened anywhere close to the dates they wanted. As it is schools cant even afford to keep teachers and majors, hell at UCI they cant even afford paperclips apparently lol.

So all the new schools open in 2012? Fine by me, I will be done in 2014 so my residency match chances won't be affected by this increase in med school grads.

Of course it will help my two sisters who will be following me into med school but 10 and 15 years later. By the time they apply there will be more spots AND more residencies as well.

So for my family, the situation seems to be turning out well.

The real risk I see for you new entering kids, is the fact more graduates are being yielded, yet the # of residencies spots remains THE SAME

I agree with one of the above posters in that it will mainly make things more difficult for FMGs. Obviously, it may make the competitive residencies even more competitive, but it will allow for more American grads to fill some of those primary care slots that have been going to FMGs for a while now.

another campus of UNC opening up in Charlotte soon.

Louisiana College in Pineville, LA is planning to open a new medical school in Pineville by 2012. Sounds like they will start around 60 something students and move up to around 100 after a while. Great news for pre-meds since we need more doctors than the current schools can produce...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...-College-hopes-to-open-medical-school-in-2012

Have they received preliminary acceptance by the AAMC? Rumor is Ochsner tried to do this and was denied and told that the state could not support 4 allopathic schools, and NO certainly could not support 3 of them. As a result Ochsner is now doing that MBBS split deal through Australia. By apparently focusing on primary care LC may get around it, or it kind of sounds like it may end up being a new Osteo school. I tried looking around for more info, but it seems the announcement is too recent.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there unless they are very interested in rural medicine. As it is, the LSU schools and Tulane offer rural medicine tracks and Pineville can't exactly offer rotations in anything but primary care, since it's in the middle of nowhere with no big medical facilities. As for its reputation, I'm a Louisiana native and I didn't even know this college existed until this year.

If this succeeds, it might be close to the way FSU came into being: a small school focused on primary care located in a rural part of the state. The biggest difference is that Tallahasee actually has a university/hospital establishment and isn't tied to religious fundamentalists. I have a feeling, though, that it will meet the same fate as Oral Roberts University medical school, if this even gets approved.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there unless they are very interested in rural medicine. As it is, the LSU schools and Tulane offer rural medicine tracks and Pineville can't exactly offer rotations in anything but primary care, since it's in the middle of nowhere with no big medical facilities. As for its reputation, I'm a Louisiana native and I didn't even know this college existed until this year.

If this succeeds, it might be close to the way FSU came into being: a small school focused on primary care located in a rural part of the state. The biggest difference is that Tallahasee actually has a university/hospital establishment and isn't tied to religious fundamentalists. I have a feeling, though, that it will meet the same fate as Oral Roberts University medical school, if this even gets approved.

Good point, I wonder how many other medical school have affiliated campuses that actively disavow evolution.

Well the new medical school I was considering when I asked if there were risks with going to one is Oakland University in Michigan. It's affiliated with a pretty big hospital, Beaumont.

Would there be a significant difference for me if I were to attend Oakland University Medical School vs. Wayne State or Michigan State in terms of residencies/quality of education?

Oakland University is about 5 miles from my house and it would be very convenient. I don't know if there are risks involved in choosing it over the other Michigan schools though...

another campus of UNC opening up in Charlotte soon.
Actually, there was an article in the Daily Tar Heel several months ago about how UNC may not be able to get the funding for this, and so this had to be postponed (as well as the expansion of the UNC and ECU med schools). :(

Creighton Med School is opening up another campus in Phoenix, AZ. It will increase its incoming class size by 26.

King College in Bristol, TN is planning to open a med school in 2012.

So all the new schools open in 2012? Fine by me, I will be done in 2014 so my residency match chances won't be affected by this increase in med school grads.

Of course it will help my two sisters who will be following me into med school but 10 and 15 years later. By the time they apply there will be more spots AND more residencies as well.

well lucky you...

Just out of curiosity, your youngest sister must be, what, 8 right now? What if she decides to pursue something other than medicine? Heck, I wanted to be a modern day viking until I was like 12. (No joke, I was an odd kid...)