New Member and Screened Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilkandSteel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to SDN. Been lurking for a while, and from what I've been reading I'd better have a few posts under my belt before I ask the really important questions...otherwise, my motives might be called into question. Lol, just kidding. Well, mostly kidding at least.

Seriously, though, my question is about screened secondaries. I got one from UCLA a little while ago and I was just wondering how stringent the screening process is. Where does this put my chances?

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know you all :)

~Silk and Steel

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm new to SDN. Been lurking for a while, and from what I've been reading I'd better have a few posts under my belt before I ask the really important questions...otherwise, my motives might be called into question. Lol, just kidding. Well, mostly kidding at least.

Seriously, though, my question is about screened secondaries. I got one from UCLA a little while ago and I was just wondering how stringent the screening process is. Where does this put my chances?

Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know you all :)

~Silk and Steel

UCLA screens pretty tough for the secondary so you've made it past a pretty big hump. It doesn't mean you'll get an interview either unfortunately. I can't remember ever seeing any statistics about how many secondaries UCLA gives out.

Thanks! That's good to know.

Does anyone else know any numbers, percentages, etc about this?

~SilkandSteel

Members don't see this ad :)
It's on their website. They get about 5500 applicants, give secondaries to 3,000 and interview about 550-600, for a class of ~ 125

Most UCs cut out 1/2 or more of their applicants just by the initial screen so it's a good sign....my roommate hasn't heard from a single UC...

I would have to say out of all of them though, UCLA rewards the highest percentage of secondaries.

I think the only one that gives out a really low number of secondaries (makes the "harshest cut" at the secondary phase - as to not waste our money as the Dean of Admin. said) is UCSF. They award less than a fourth of the applicant pool secondaries. I think the rest of the UCs give half to a third of their applicants secondaries...

Thanks guys! That's really helpful. 1/2 is a good figure.:)

I'd really love to go to UCLA. *crosses fingers*

~Silk and Steel