new member - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddalgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please don't be mean to me. I'm a new member that has already applied to med schools this year.

I went to a top 5 US undergrad and have a 3.7 sgpa and cgpa. I spent a couple of years after undergrad to work in a clinical research position at a prestigious teaching hospital. I have a couple of publications from my work here. I also have volunteered extensively in many third world countries and in underserved areas domestically. I also have significant leadership experiences.

One downside: my mcat score! i received a 32 on my first mcat but decided to take it again less than one month later to have received a 30. I was scoring much higher on the practice tests prior to taking the second test and am not sure what happened.

Do I still have a shot at a top 20 school? I have heard nothing from these schools and am getting worried. My applications were complete Sept.

I would appreciate some advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is impossible when you have superb ECs, but it seems to me that the niche most likely to find appeal in your application would be somewhat less selective than the "Top 20." I would hope that you applied broadly and included some mid-and less-selective schools as well.

Nothing is impossible when you have superb ECs, but it seems to me that the niche most likely to find appeal in your application would be somewhat less selective than the "Top 20." I would hope that you applied broadly and included some mid-and less-selective schools as well.

thank you catalystik! i haven't heard from any of the upper level schools yet except for a couple of rejections. when is it too late to hear back from these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that all U.S. medical schools are very selective. Hopefully you applied to some middle to lower tier schools as well. A 32 on the MCAT is very solid, and I definitely would not have retaken that.

Stay positive, and you will probably get an acceptance. Plenty of schools in the U.S. have great match-rates for residencies, not just the top ones.