1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

new member- What are my chances with my stats thanks

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by protonate, Jan 5, 2009.

1. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you all for visiting my profile
    I am applying for the next cycle and wondering how are my stats because I am contemplating taking an extra year to make myself a better applicant

Applying as a URM (Black/African American)
    Stats
    3.8 gpa (3.85 science)
    Taking MCAT in May
    Extracurricular
    50 hours red cross volunteering(1 semester)
    Volunteer Orgo tutor (1 year ~2.5hours/week) (Leadership)
    Chem T.A (Leadership)
    Org chem research (1+ years)
    Research fellowship recipient
    Shadowing (on volunteer basis) 1 year (100 hours)
    Volunteer at hospice (Clinical) 1 year (200+hours)

I was wondering taking all this to consideration how competittive of an applicant am I?
    What MCAT score should I obtain to get a chance at top tier schools?
    Thank you very much for your feedback and good luck to all of you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Your application will be strong as it is now, but if you want to apply to the most-selective, research-intense institutions, I can see why you'd want another year of research on your application. Have you started studying for the MCAT? And if so, have you taken any practice tests yet?

4. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started studying since spring of sophomore year about 5/week physics and bio
    During the summer I systematically worked verbal 2hours/day 6 days a week (Examkrackers)
    I also did PS(9hours/week) and BS (3hours/week) with berkeley review (All summer long)
    fall i was kinda slow bcuz only about 2hours/day
    now im working during winter break 6hours/day and I have been doing practice exams every saturday.
    Hopefully i can do like 3 hours/day and practice exams 1ce a week until 2 weeks b4 then do em every morning so i get a hang of it. Do you guys think this plan should be sufficient to do well on the MCAT?

5. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Looks really good to me.

MCAT should be in the mid to upper 30s for top tier schools.

6. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    and thanks again for the reply, mind in a 10000000 places now with the stress.

7. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You look like gold!

Get a 30+ MCAT and you have a great shot anywhere.

How much time to do well on the MCAT is very person specific.

I would say 20-25 hrs a week for two months should be good if you are relatively up on the classes.

8. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He is URM.

I think he can drop to low 30's.

I have seen it over the last couple of cycles.

9. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

What are you scoring on practice exams for each section so far?

10. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Which top-tier schools are you most interested in aiming for?

11. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry guys about this delay in replying.. was out of access of the pc all day.
    I've been scoring 33-39 on my practice MCATs but haven't done the WS. I am interested in going to a good med school which is why I am working soo hard.
    One of the reasons I'd like to go is to be a positive example to my family because I'm the 1st generation to go to school in the US and the people older than me who went to college messed up (all dropped out and it was very hard on us) so there really isn't somebody my family can look as a good example, but hopefully if I get into a top university it would show them that through hard work they can make it because when I entered I didn't think it was possible. I'm not sure if that's a good reason to go to a good school for the adcoms... do you guys think thats a valable reason? or am I just not thinking correctly?

12. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Be careful with the "good school / not as good school" analogy when comparing med schools, mainly because there is a huge fallacy in that kind of thinking - medical educations are standardized - you can learn everything you need to be a competent physician at any accredited allopathic school.

The best reason for wanting to attend a "top ranked" school is for the specific opportunities that such a school may afford you in research - the rankings are based on research prowess. To be sure, people also want it for the status, to impress friends, to make parents extra proud, etc., but I think those are poor reasons.

13. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It seems to me you'll have set a good example by graduating from your current school, since you'll be the first in the family to get a college degree. Go to medical school because it allows you to practice a profession that fulfills all your interests, and not because of your family. Do it because it's the best thing for you, and not for someone else.

If you get an MCAT score anywhere in the range that your practice scores foretell, you'll be able to get into a very good medical school.

14. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never thought of the ranking system that way.. so it really doesn't matter where you go to school bur again I'm also interested in research (which is why I did some), but I don't think it will be enough to make me competitive which is why I want to take an extra year which would allow me to better prepare my application material and take the mcat late august so I can have 3 extra months of studying and I'll be able to apply as early as possible as MCAT would be already finished and can focus much more time on the application materials.

15. 202781

Pre-Medical
    Looks strong to me. As long as you get 32+ I would only have one question for you. Do you want to go to the west coast (Stanford) or the East (Harvard)

16. protonate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont think I can get into those schools....
    But I would like to go to med school in the east coast if a school in the east accepts me