1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

New member, worried about early gpa...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Chrishawk4, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Chrishawk4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am going to be in my Sophomore year starting in the fall at the University of Detroit Mercy. I am working on my Biology degree right now. I currently have a 2.5 because I was killed in my first semester by testing into Calc and other classes that I was not ready for. I know I will be able to bring up my gpa in the next 3 years, but I was wondering if my first semester screw up was detrimental on my dream to become a Dentist? How bad do Dental schools frown upon first semester screw ups? Thank you in advance.

Chris

2. DRHOYA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It ok man. Everyone takes their own time to get traction. But once you do, now its time to fly. Get nothing less than B+'s from here on out, and you'll have a nice upward trend, which works in your favor.

3. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You're fine.

2.5 is nothing to worry about as long as you can have a respectable trend from now on. Heck, my freshmen year GPA was way lower than that.

4. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Bad first year GPA can be forgiven if you show consistent trend of improvement. You still have a good shot at ending up with a 3.5+ GPA by the end of senior year. If you do this then the first year GPA will show that you had a rough intro to college which happens to a lot of people.

5. Simiam

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Almost everyone you talk to will have had a bad semester at some point. You can pull it up to a good GPA it just means that you cannot slack off at all anymore... Just ace all your classes and prep well for the DAT. Also, you have to consider that your BCP GPA will be easier to raise since you most likely didn't take too many science courses your first semester.

For example if over your next 5 semesters you have a 3.8 average with an equal amount of credits your overall GPA would be nearly a 3.6. It's totally possible, good luck to you.

6. Chrishawk4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you guys for the info. Unfortunately my first two semesters were all science classes.

Chris

7. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Maybe you shouldn't do that. Anyways you've got ton of classes to take to boost your GPA.

8. Chrishawk4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yea I really didn't want to take all science classes but my adviser said it was the best thing to do. Its alright I am retaking a bio class. My overall science gpa isn't that bad.

Chris

9. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Next time get a second opinion. It is generally not recommended to take all science classes for a whole semester. It kinda dulls you if you don't mix up your courses a little.

10. Simiam

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Plus if you have personal catastrophe you are dead in the water. I know where you're coming from though Chris. I'd say retake the classes you got a C or lower in and then Ace every other possible science class. Good luck

11. Chrishawk4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you, and yes I am retaking Bio 1 of which I actually failed. I got a B in Bio 2 though.

Chris

12. Hosseix

Pre-Dental

Im so glad i found this forum!

I need a little help with my situation. Instead of screwing up my first semester i screwed up my 4th semester (last semester of being a sophomore). And its not that i screwed up, its more due to the catastrophes that all of a sudden occurred in my life. I took one class (gchem-2) and got a D in it. This brought by gpa down to a 2.6. Previous semesters i was ok, took 16-18 units and got pretty good grades (maybe a c or two but thats it). Due to my fathers heart attack i had no other choice but to raise my family which took ALL of time time. If i was to go back to routine and start nailing 16-18 units with grades B+> in my junior year would that be of any use. Im currently attending a JC and want to transfer out within a Year.

I hope you guys can help me out, ive been researching soo much and luckliy i found this awesum site.

-Student in need of guidance.