New Mexico, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They might have explained the waitlist to the parents/guests but they split us up for a bit. Really, if you think about it, why would they explain the waitlist to a group of downright accepted people. But I didn't hear anyone ask about it, so sorry, I wish I could give you guys some news.

I have a question; maybe they talked about it at second look day. I was looking at the curriculum map and it looks as if everyone does the same clinical rotations at the same time. Do you know if they really do it that way, or if they just wrote it that way to show what the required rotations are?

Members don't see this ad.

In the fourth year there are 4 required rotations, and the other 4 are elective. If it is the fourth year you are asking about then no, everyone does not do them at the same time. As for the third year, I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to look at the curriculum map.

Yes ive taken a look at the cirriculum and it makes it look like everone takes them at the same time. I would think that would be a little crowded.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was 50 students that showed up, but with all the guests there were probably 80-90 people. The admissions people said it was a pretty good turn-out. I don't know what that means for the waitlist though.

Hey gang,

Hope second look day went well for everyone. I got married on Saturday, and that is why I didn't attend.

Hey gang,

Hope second look day went well for everyone. I got married on Saturday, and that is why I didn't attend.

Congratulations, ATH!

Weddingsquare.jpg

If anyone else is having problems figuring out how to establish a salud.unm.edu email account I found the link.

https://hscssl.unm.edu/HEAT/accountRequest/index.cfm

hope this helps

I tried but was denied. I was told account request will be made in early June and the accounts should be ready in July. Boo!

Hey gang,

Congrats

I am so jealous of everyone that is admitted. The wait list is killing me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it sucks, Doering, but at least we are in a good position for next cycle if it comes to that. Still, I can't wait until the 18th. Hang in there, kiddo--you and I will be fine no matter how it turns out this cycle.

Wow, dead forum? Waitlisters get ready, just another week or so. Anyone that as worked with Dr. Andru, what kind of guy is he?

Wow, dead forum? Waitlisters get ready, just another week or so. Anyone that as worked with Dr. Andru, what kind of guy is he?

Dr. Andru is incredible. He is a good teacher, very patient, and treats everyone with respect. Dr. Andru and all the practitioners at the clinic are very inspiring, because they show you that you can provide quality and affordable healthcare. Here is an article about the clinic: http://alibi.com/index.php?story=20188&scn=news&submit_user_comment=y&fullstory=y

Dr. Andru is incredible. He is a good teacher, very patient, and treats everyone with respect. Dr. Andru and all the practitioners at the clinic are very inspiring, because they show you that you can provide quality and affordable healthcare. Here is an article about the clinic: http://alibi.com/index.php?story=20188&scn=news&submit_user_comment=y&fullstory=y

Are you a native Spanish speaker? If not, how did you become fluent? I've taken years and years of Spanish in school but cannot manage to become fluent. I'd love to volunteer with Dr. Andru, but the language barrier is keeping me out :(

When you said "interview", was he on the UNM admissions committee or was that the interview for the clinic? I need to get a hold of him, do any of you have his email or phone number? If so maybe you could send me a private message with it. I hear about him thru working with healthcare for the homeless, and I hear nothing but great things. Thanks guys! See you all in a few weeks!

Dr. Andru is really great. He is insipriring, a great teacher and incredibly patient. He also has a good sense of humor. He teaches you to know your limits and be aware of burn out (take vacations be good to your body through healthy food and exercise) and is a good role model on how to not become jaded. He definetly opened my eyes to things I didn't really think much of, like alternative medicine or things I never thought of- like disparities in healthcare and racism. When he asked me about my thoughts on alternative medicine during my interview, I replied something about more research needing to be done and he told me something about science being unable to touch some aspects of it which was hard for me to really believe at the time but my views on it changed when I witnessed the positive effect it had on some patients (really helps keep spirits up and calm anxiety) and I was glad to know something about it bc when I was giving a poster presentation once there was this random guy who kept interrupting me and telling me research made people sick and the answer to all illness lay in flower essences (he carried around a bottle of witchhazel or something) and I was glad to know how to respond.

Have you ever thought about trying to immerse yourself in Spanish- like put yourself in situations where you have no choice but to speak it? There are a lot of restaurants in the south valley where you could try that out and people are often glad to help you out. You might be surprised as to how much you actually know. The more you're in situations where you have to speak it, the more stuff comes back to you.

btw ATH- congrats on getting married!!!!!!!! Hope you enjoy your honeymoon :) I'm actually going back to the clinic for a couple of weeks this summer to help cover shifts and train ppl... apparently there is a mass exodus of seasoned volunteers? A lot of ppl are moving on (grad school etc)

Thanks so much! I know -- I'm pretty excited to be married, and I love my new German last name :) :). We just got back from Maui yesterday ... which was pretty amazing.

Hey Crazydiamond, you can try talking with Dr. Andru and let him know you're committed to learning Spanish and improving healthcare to underserved areas and he might let you volunteer. Volunteering at the clinic is a big responsbility though. If there is a day you cannot make it, then you need to find someone to cover your shift. But volunteering at Casa de Salud is definitely rewarding and has many benefits. My Spanish is okay, it's difinitely not that great, but it improved a lot at the clinic.

Dr. Andru teaches you how to draw blood and various other clinical procedures. It was exciting to participate in the actual care of patients. He was also one of the few doctors allowed to prescribe suboxone to IV drug users. I have heard nothing but great things from the needle exchange patients/suboxone patients about him, because he doesn't treat anyone like trash, or shorten their visit because someone might not be able to pay. He opens your eyes to racism and barriers that exists in our current healthcare system, and shows you that you don't have to participate in the same discriminitory practices.

If you want to volunteer at the clinic he needs to interview you. When I went for my interview he let me bring my then fiance, and he talked to us about treating people with respect, regardless of their ability to pay. He discusses issues and topics without pushing his beliefs on you.

So somehow I was selected to get two tickets to the Obama town hall meeting this Thursday in Rio Rancho. I signed up online and just got the call a few minutes ago, so exciting! The topic will be credit card debt, a topic all to familiar to students. Do you guys have any questions that you would like me to ask about that topic, as I feel it is my responsibility to ask a good question!

Hello, I am actually just graduated from UNM. I have spent my whole life in NM and would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the curriculum, rotations, etc... I will gladly share the good, bad, and ugly about the school but will tell you up front that I feel that I got a great education, had a good time, and am happy to have gone to UNM.

A little known fact is that UNM's curriculum has actually been copied and implemented in other schools such as Harvard. This is no joke- they actually paid UNM large amounts of money for the curriculum.

Also, I am moving to Texas for residency and am selling/renting my house that is about 12 minutes away from UNM. If you want info PM me.

Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Last edited:
So somehow I was selected to get two tickets to the Obama town hall meeting this Thursday in Rio Rancho. I signed up online and just got the call a few minutes ago, so exciting! The topic will be credit card debt, a topic all to familiar to students. Do you guys have any questions that you would like me to ask about that topic, as I feel it is my responsibility to ask a good question!

Apparently Obama is hitting the Southwest US this week- he's speaking at my graduation ceremony at Arizona State tomorrow evening :) He seems like a pretty cool guy to me, good luck on coming up with a question!!!

Brave soul to broach the politics subject here. Just kidding, I hope we are all mature enough by this point to respect the opinions of others. I would want someone to ask him how he expects me to get by without using more credit cards if I have less money every week to take home now that I am going to be taxed on my health care benefits on top of everything else.

Just a thought. Not that asking any good question will get a good response. Politicians (ALL of them) have all lost so much respect for voters that they just ignore questions asked of them and do what they want to anyway.

Maybe ask why he voted against a 30% credit card interest rate cap ... yep, helping out the American people as usual.

I must be out of it. I thought he was in favor of capping the interest rates but I also thought that the cap would be around 15-20%. I think Obama should talk about the targeting of students by credit card companies.

I must be out of it. I thought he was in favor of capping the interest rates but I also thought that the cap would be around 15-20%. I think Obama should talk about the targeting of students by credit card companies.

"Statement of Purpose: To limit the amount of interest that can be charged on any extension of credit to 30 percent.
Obama (D-IL), Nay" (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00020)

" Clinton: There was a particular amendment that I think is very telling. It was an amendment to prohibit credit card companies from charging more than 30 percent interest. ... I voted for limiting to 30 percent what credit card companies could charge. Senator Obama did not. ...

Obama: It is a fact, because I thought 30 percent potentially was too high of a ceiling." (http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/clinton-obama_slugfest.html)

Shouldn't they have some limit, though?

30% seems CRAZY high. I remember that as a joke, during my undergrad I filled out one of the dozens of credit card applications that came to me every week. I said that I had ZERO income, expecting to be turned down. Two weeks later City gave me a credit card. Maybe I'll ask about that.

As far as bring up politics, I was merely stating that I will be attending the town hall meeting and wondering if New Mexico's best and brightest future doctors had any good questions, assuming that we are all mature goes without saying.

30% seems CRAZY high. I remember that as a joke, during my undergrad I filled out one of the dozens of credit card applications that came to me every week. I said that I had ZERO income, expecting to be turned down. Two weeks later City gave me a credit card. Maybe I'll ask about that.

As far as bring up politics, I was merely stating that I will be attending the town hall meeting and wondering if New Mexico's best and brightest future doctors had any good questions, assuming that we are all mature goes without saying.

Thats what I would think. But I've been wrong before. But my question is serious. Ask him how he thinks it will help porvide health care to all americans if he begins taxing health care benefits. I would be interested to see an intelligent response to that conundrum.

I'm leaving for San Diego in a week! I'll be out there with family until July 6th, when I have to be back for an MD/PhD class. I am also thinking about traveling up to Seattle to visit family, stopping along the way in SF and Portland. I am so glad I don't have to wait here all summer! But I am a little bummed I have to be back so early for that class.

I wish I were going somewhere fun.
Have a good time. Enjoy your free time... you have all earned it.

I am sorry I haven't been on here in a while.

Been busy outa my mind. Straight out to Jinx, I tottally spaced out the thing so I am so so so so so so sorry, and I know sorry doesn't mean anythying but I truly am, i really spaced out.

For good news though, I walked into the admissions office yesterday to make sure all my affairs were in order, and I overheard them saying how one of the Full tuition people went to another program. So basically, there is another full tuition scholarship up for grabs guys. Good luck.

Oh and somni, it was really nice to meet you buddy.

Waitlist numbers come out next week! I am ready to finally have the stress of not knowing where my life is headed lifted off my shoulders... its really cutting into my sleep, or could it be the massive amounts of coffee I consumed today?

I am sorry I haven't been on here in a while.

Been busy outa my mind. Straight out to Jinx, I tottally spaced out the thing so I am so so so so so so sorry, and I know sorry doesn't mean anythying but I truly am, i really spaced out.

For good news though, I walked into the admissions office yesterday to make sure all my affairs were in order, and I overheard them saying how one of the Full tuition people went to another program. So basically, there is another full tuition scholarship up for grabs guys. Good luck.

Oh and somni, it was really nice to meet you buddy.

Ooooh. Another scholarship available? They will probably just use it to crush my spirit like they did with the originals. Oh well. You still working virus?

For everyone on the waitlist ... I think everyone on this forum who were waitlisted got accepted last year! I think everyone has a great shot, and it certainly beats not having a shot.

I seriously believe you will get in Jinx. They would be out of their minds if they don't see what you have to offer ... don't get stressesd!!!! :D:luck:

Good luck to those who are waiting, and see you in July (my birthday is July 28th btw --- just saying!!).

Thanks for the love, guys. I could really use it--been dealing with the "challenging" patients all week. For some reason they all want to deal with me. I think it's 'cause I let them vent. Anyhow, I'm hoping that when I get home there will be a nice surprise in the mailbox, but I'm not expecting the rank list letter until Monday.

OMG, ATH! Is your birthday on the first day of school?

Virus, I just figured you were busy with the either the VS bra fittings or digging ditches--no hate here. Virus and Somni, thanks again for the advice on the letter.

Jinx... I'm getting nervous! Lets keep our fingers crossed! I hope to be able to meet you and all the other people in this forum!

I know, Doering. I keep trying to tell myself that being on the waitlist in and of itself is a good thing, no matter what. Gives me hope that I'm not fighting a losing battle trying to get in. Still, I really would rather not have to go through all this again. I'm just worried that with the economy being the way it is, more people than usual will accept @ UNM this year b/c the tuition is so cheap. On the other hand, it could go the other way--other schools give out more generous financial aid packages, so even though their tuition might be much higher, it would be cheaper in the long run for someone to go there. I just hope I'm ranked #19 or lower. With my luck, though, I'm probably #51. It is still better than a rejection, though.

Anyhow, to all of you who have been accepted--think happy thoughts for us waitlisters!! BTW, I'm a good cook and I've been known to bring in baked goods from time to time. Wish me luck, and I'll feed you if/when I get in. (Notice the "when"--I'm trying to think positively.)

Okay, time for one of my stories. I rushed home to the mailbox yesterday in the hopes that some Admissions God of Mercy would be moved to send the ranklist letters early. I got an unmarked envelope, I tore it open, and the first words I read were "Dear Medical Student". I stopped breathing for awhile, the earth spinned in slow motion around me, and then zoomed up fast like something from The Matrix. Until I read the rest of the letter--generic recruitment attempt from the Army National Guard. I was all like, ha, ha, muthaf***er, very funny. Oh, the sad, sad state of my mental faculties.

Last edited:
to send the ranklist letters early. I got an unmarked envelope

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have been under the impression that the you always had to call in to see what your rank is on the waitlist? Also, call in or stop by, whats the worst that can happen? They gonna say EFF off and tell you to wait your turn?

In the letter informing me of my "alternate" status, they said they would send out letters informing everyone of their rank list # on May 18th, after the deadline for those holding multiple acceptances. Then they would send everyone email updates every 2 weeks. I've been wanting to call the office and bug them, but I don't want to piss them off and cross my name off the list entirely. So I wait...sigh.

Somni, how did the town meeting go? Were you nervous? What question did you end up asking, and did he answer your question to your satisfaction?

Tee hee, everytime I hear the phrase "town meeting" I yell it out loud like the mayor in Nightmare Before Christmas.

65236628_bdfce4e312.jpg

Jinx... I thought they said biweekly updates.

Well I just got the email saying the wait list letters were sent out! I was hoping we would get our rank today. Good luck everyone!:luck::xf:

AAAAAHHHHH! Another day! I would like to die now, please. The agony.

Got the call this morning! I'm in!!! THANK GOD!!
Sorry I haven't been very vocal on this thread. I guess I'm one of those stalkers, but also am rarely on SDN anymore. I'm burstin at the seems and shouting it from all the "rooftops" that I can. Can't wait to meet the class of 2013!

Got the call this morning! I'm in!!! THANK GOD!!
Sorry I haven't been very vocal on this thread. I guess I'm one of those stalkers, but also am rarely on SDN anymore. I'm burstin at the seems and shouting it from all the "rooftops" that I can. Can't wait to meet the class of 2013!

Okay, so far we have one off the waitlist. Jinx and Doering are awaiting their calls. Just keeping track!

Jinx, I don't think my birthday is on the first day of orientation this year. It was last year. I think orientation is on 7/27 ... (hint, hint: I like that spicy Guam rice with those special peppers :) --- just kidding, well not kidding that I like it!)

Gooooodddddd luuuucccckkkkk!