New Mexico, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call this morning! I'm in!!! THANK GOD!!
Sorry I haven't been very vocal on this thread. I guess I'm one of those stalkers, but also am rarely on SDN anymore. I'm burstin at the seems and shouting it from all the "rooftops" that I can. Can't wait to meet the class of 2013!

Congrats, DrDag! Hope to join you soon!

ATH, if I get in I'll make you some Chamorro barbeque and we'll have a picnic.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, DrDag! Hope to join you soon!

ATH, WHEN I get in I'll make you some Chamorro barbeque and we'll have a picnic.

mmmm .... hehe my brother-in-law and his wife (who is Chamorro) barbeque all the time in Guam.

So they are at 14, and they have all accepted at this point. Jinx, any word on the #?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they are at 14, and they have all accepted at this point. Jinx, any word on the #?

No word yet--I'm not at home right now and I left my cell phone at home. But I'm thinking it's not looking good for me if all 14 accepted already. My number is probably really high. SIGH...

How do you know about what number they are on, anyway? Do you have a connection in the admissions office?

well, guys, I got my number--43! Looks like it's not happening for me this cycle. I think I'm going to take a nice long bubble bath, have a shot of tequila, and cry for a little while before I start filling out that stupid AMCAS app for next cycle. :(:(:(

Jinx, Dont worry. That is really good for next cycle. I an number 21. I am so nervous!:scared: I dont know what to do now... I have a job lined up but dont know if i should start?

Got the call this morning! I'm in!!! THANK GOD!!
Sorry I haven't been very vocal on this thread. I guess I'm one of those stalkers, but also am rarely on SDN anymore. I'm burstin at the seems and shouting it from all the "rooftops" that I can. Can't wait to meet the class of 2013!

did they tell you what number you were on the list?

Well Jinx, look at it like they were willing to accept you into the program, minus a few minor issues. BUT, you are acceptable in this program, otherwise they would not have put you on the waitlist no matter what your number. Talk to them and get ready to do it again. Like a great doctor once told me "it's not a question of IF, It's a question of when". If you want it, you WILL get it. See you soon I hope, and please don't give up. I am a re-applicant too, and things just happened to work out well for me. You should think about calling up healthcare for the homeless. I know that they will be needing volunteers for their harm reduction program starting soon. You get amazing stories, and a great understanding of healthcare in NM. To get started is EASY, there is a 2 hour into session coming up (check the website, google Albuquerque healthcare for the homeless). Then you start seeing clients. But I know they are looking for good people. It would be like 3 hours/week, and it is a fun place.

Best of luck to everyone.

I'm so sorry, jinx. I do a lot of reading of this thread, but not a lot of posting, I know, so you don't really know me too well. But I wanted to tell you that you're an inspiration for me. I'm not the strongest of candidates and I know I'll probably have to reapply anyway. But to see you chugging along is helpful for me, especially when it seems like everywhere I turn people have great stats and are getting in.

Well Jinx, look at it like they were willing to accept you into the program, minus a few minor issues. BUT, you are acceptable in this program, otherwise they would not have put you on the waitlist no matter what your number. Talk to them and get ready to do it again. Like a great doctor once told me "it's not a question of IF, It's a question of when". If you want it, you WILL get it. See you soon I hope, and please don't give up. I am a re-applicant too, and things just happened to work out well for me. You should think about calling up healthcare for the homeless. I know that they will be needing volunteers for their harm reduction program starting soon. You get amazing stories, and a great understanding of healthcare in NM. To get started is EASY, there is a 2 hour into session coming up (check the website, google Albuquerque healthcare for the homeless). Then you start seeing clients. But I know they are looking for good people. It would be like 3 hours/week, and it is a fun place.

Best of luck to everyone.

Yeah Jinx, I second Somni ... You should consider volunteering at a place like Healthcare for the Homeless where you can actually participate in the care of patients. It gives you a lot to talk about in your interviews. Make sure to set up an exit interview to find out exactly what you need to work on.

Also, make sure to apply at least to one other place even though you have no intentions of leaving NM ... give the admissions committee the idea that you're willing to go anywhere, and if they don't accept you outright or put you at the top of the waiting list then some other school might snag you up. I am so sorry, but you will be a Dr. someday.

Thanks, guys.

Well, I'm still kinda bummed but I've already made an appointment for an exit interview next week. I'm also starting to address the weaknesses in my app, so I have something to update Dr. Bear with. Oh, well, I'm in good shape for next year. Doering, you're looking good, kid. I think you'll get in.

I'm trying to be positive and not wallow in self-pity, even though I feel like Moses looking at the Promised Land.

mosesHeston2703_468x611.jpg

did they tell you what number you were on the list?

They didn't. I am curious though. I received the welcome package and letter in the mail yesterday which didn't indicate my # either.

My package did indicate that the letter of intent had to be postmarked by June 1st. So for this first round of acceptances, we have a little while to decide. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jinx,
I agree with crazydiamond. I definitely saw you as an inspiration as well on this thread. I didn't do much posting or anything on this thread; however, I did read through to update on all the happenings when I actually signed on. YOU WILL GET IN. And even though I know it sucks right now, the timing of it will be right. To tell you the truth, this is my 3rd time applying. My first year applying, I only applied to UNM and didn't do a exit interview. Next year, I applied EVERYWHERE (allopathic) and wasn't waitlisted, but did an exit interview with UNM which was EXTREMELY helpful. This last time, I applied as early as I could to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. I was accepted to a lot of osteopathic schools, but only UNM for allopathic. Honestly, I don't think I was truly ready to go back to school until this year. Everything happens for a reason. Maybe you are meant to help and inspire someone that really needs you in their life at the healthcare for the homeless that everyone is talking about. With your heart and dedication, you will get in and be an excellent doctor someday. I know it.
Keep your chin up.:D:thumbup:

well... Just had my exit interview with Dr. Bear. Looks like I wont be getting in this year. He said that any other year number 21 would be nearly guaranteed to be accepted, but this year the list seems to have stalled around number 14. I have a good job lined up working in the OR, but I was hoping not to have to take it. I still haven't given up all hope, but the chances look slim. He also suggested that it may be a good idea for me to apply EDP next cycle. Does anyone have anything to say about the EDP program?
Also, any good info. on how to get involved with healthcare for the homeless? That sounded like something I would be interested in and that would help my application.
:scared: :(

Hang in there, Doering, there might still be some movement on the waitlist in June. If not, that's okay, hopefully it will be you, me, and maybe CrazyDiamond if she chooses to apply. Bust, you in for this round?

And when we all get in, all the MS2s who got in this cycle will be coming around to our table at lunch to beg for homebaked goodies.

Hey, I'm bored. Slow day at work. Who wants to Facebook me? PM me and I'll give you my name to look up. P.S. My page is rather lame b/c I need my children to upload pics--I'm old, you know. I think I need a Jitterbug phone.

Last edited:
Healthcare for the homeless is a great place to volunteer. The only place there that takes "unskilled" volunteers is the harm reduction group. They do A LOT of stuff, and its a good way to get your feet in the door there. They have an orientation every few months, and attendance is required to get started. They have a website with the dates of the orientations, and I believe one is coming up. PM me if you have specific questions, but it has been life-changing for me, and like all things, you get out of it how much you put in.

Peace

P.S. I'm in San Diego with my GF, and it is a great vacation!!

I am sitting at home right now reading a neuroanatomy book. Its the book they use at Yale, It is depressing because I am reading it for a job and not because I am a med student! :bang:

Hi...anyone looking for a place to live??? I am leaving my place this fall to go to med school at Ohio State Univ. I applied to UNM SOM but they rejected me...oh well. So therefore, I have a place that someone can rent for a great price and it is near the university. It is perfect for one person. Private message me if you are interested.

Don't be bummed, Doering! Here, baby, I made you a virtual cupcake:

dracula_cupcake_monster-722393.jpg

I'm about to leave work for my exit interview w/ Dr. Bear. For some reason I'm nervous as hell. I'm guess I'm scared that I really don't have a chance in hell for next year, they just stuck me on the waitlist b/c they felt sorry for the lady with the bajillion kids. Doering, give me back that cupcake--I need some comfort sugar.

thanks guys!
Jinx, They don't do the wait list based of of opinion... its a mathematical deal. I am sure the point difference separating you from me (and us from getting in!) is very small.

Well, I talked to Dr. Bear yesterday--I was kinda bummed out b/c he said that one of the things discussed in my app that was a concern was the fact that I have kids and whether or not I could handle them. He was gracious and didn't say "a whole hell of a LOT of kids", but I kinda got the sense that that was what he meant. He asked me what my family situation is and whether or not I could balance school and my family. He was nice about it, though, and I told him that that was the reason why I waited so long between my first and second apps, and if I didn't think that I could do it I wouldn't be applying. And that I would approach med school like a full-time job, which I am already holding down and I'm managing just fine.

I must have a chip on my shoulder because of this, because I get so many comments on this ALL the time. Most of them are unkind. OMG! You have 9 kids? Are you crazy? Sometimes I feel like people automatically assume that because I have 9 kids I must be pulling my hair out and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

62061134_5ef4bc3a47.jpg

Of course I can't handle med school. How could I even get up in the morning? I just have to keep saying, of course I can handle med school AND my family. With a smile. Just watch me.

rachelThksgSexy.jpg

Has anyone heard of anyone new getting in off the waitlist?!

I must have a chip on my shoulder because of this, because I get so many comments on this ALL the time. Most of them are unkind. OMG! You have 9 kids? Are you crazy? Sometimes I feel like people automatically assume that because I have 9 kids I must be pulling my hair out and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I grew up in with six brothers and a sister, and I could never imagine life being fun in a small family. Sure it sucked because we never got new crap but man, having that many playmates more than makes up for it. Especially if you got in a fight back in elementry, you always had backup :D

Anyway Jinx, having a lot of kids is hard but its managable and the only reason the committee responded that way was pure xenophobia (none of them can relate to your experience). So all you gotta do is prove these bastards wrong and show them up by getting more involved. I suggest getting to know the big names on campus and annoying them till they can see you for your capabilities and look past their misconceptions.

Thanks, Virus. You get a cupcake, too.

I smiled at Dr. Bear as I was leaving and said "you should get used to seeing me, 'cause I'll keep coming back until I get in". I know it is a valid concern for them considering many, if not most, of them have put off having a family to focus on their medical career, and if they do have kids in med school they found it extremely challenging. But what they are REALLY saying, whether they realize it or not, is NOT, "OMG! You have NINE kids? Nine? NINE? I don't think you can do this." What they are really saying is "OMG! I couldn't do it with nine kids, so you obviously can't." It is just so frustrating that people project their ideas of what they think they can or cannot do on to me when it is these people who decide whether or not I get to do what I want to do (otherwise I wouldn't give a flying f**k what anyone thinks of me.)

But my case is different. First of all, I'm Wonder Woman.

Of course I can do it. And fight crime and bake cupcakes in my spare time.

Second of all, I came from a large family myself and this is normal for me.

Third, it's not like I'm like the Jon and Kate plus 8 family--most of my kids are older and self-sufficient, with a wide range in their ages. I've taught the ones in school how to cook, clean, do laundry and chores, and the older ones help to occupy the babies' attention while I attend to whatever I need to do. AND my "babies" are 2 and 3, and they are already on their way to independence. I'm not shackled by the needs of an infant. I have plenty of time to sit and play or talk with my kids b/c we work as a team to get things done. I'm not a crazy lady yelling and screaming and pulling my hair out, or crying as I down my sixth shot of tequila.

Fourth, the fact that I am older, I have seen what the big, bad world is all about--I'm not a young, starry-eyed idealist who thinks I'm gonna change the world, only to have my perception of reality shattered when confronted by the unpleasantries of life. I am no longer shielded by the optimism of youth. I know that in every situation in life there will be times when I'll have to do things that I really don't want to do because they need doing. I'm not going to fall apart and have my belief in myself shaken when someone throws up on me, or when I get yelled at by a medical assistant for doing what I was told to do, or when I can't go out and have fun because I have to stay behind and fill out a ton of paperwork, or when I'm tired as hell because I haven't had a decent night's sleep in 9 months, or when I'm told to dig impacted **** out of some pervy old man's ass. Been there, done that. (Okay, maybe not digging impacted **** out of a pervy old man's ass, but I have cleaned up a pervy old man's #2 mess. But I digress.)

I'll be coming into this already knowing how to balance my family's needs with my other obligations. I know who I am, what my strengths are, and what my limitations are. I know that there will be MANY times when it seems like despite all my best efforts, nothing seems to make a difference. And this will not shake my foundational belief in who I am, or drive me to depression, or cause me to quit. In my opinion, it is the intangibles like this that make people in the medical field burn out. I know all this, but the question is how do I convey to the admissions committee that these issues that they see as a liability are actually one of my biggest strengths?

I don't know. All I do know is that the more people tell me (or even "gently suggest to me") that I can't manage medical school and my tribe, the more determined I am to prove them wrong.

Whew. I feel better for venting. Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement. SDN is cheaper than therapy! I'm going to go eat a cupcake now.

Last edited:
...I know all this, but the question is how do I convey to the admissions committee that these issues that they see as a liability are actually one of my biggest strengths?

I don't know. All I do know is that the more people tell me (or even "gently suggest to me") that I can't manage medical school and my tribe, the more determined I am to prove them wrong.

Whew. I feel better for venting. Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement. SDN is cheaper than therapy! I'm going to go eat a cupcake now.

Put it in your personal statement (of course rewording the "impacted **** in pervey man ass" haha). My PS focused on how my volunteering experience showed me that I am not going into medicine as an idealistic optimist who is going change the world, and I described a couple of incidents that showed me different sides to medicine (both good and really bad). Also, through volunteering I came to realize that the duties of a physician can only go so far and many times you're in situations where you cannot help patients.

Also, since you already disclosed that you have nine children, then don't be afraid to address that in your personal statement either, basically saying what you said to us: that you can balance your family life with medical school, and you have shown your commitment to medicine through volunteering even with a full time job.

:) I wish you the best of luck!!!

Oh Jinx, Dr. Espey also told me that she feels strongly that PS should only be a page long. I think if you can succinctly convey your strengths through volunteering and balancing your life with a career and medicine, then it will really stick in the admissions committee's mind, and since that is their only "real" concern, you will have all aspects of your application addressed. You can also address this as a challenge in your life that you have worked through.

Oh yeah --- apply to at least one other school even if you don't want to go, use it as a "if you don't take me then I will go to another school"!

Jinx, I have a feeling we will both get in next year!:xf:

Thanks, guys, for all the love. ATH, that's a really good idea about the PS. I mean, they DO already know I have 9 kids, so I might as well tie in what I'm doing/will do in the clinic with the whole mommy thing. Somehow. It might also be good to squeeze in a couple of cupcakes somewhere. Somni, I know you are right about being positive re: making the waitlist and how that shows they think I'd be a good fit, so it's time for me to buckle down and gear up for next cycle. And Virus, you always cheer me up. I hope your mom fares better than I did this cycle. Tell her my thoughts and prayers are with her. Okay, kiddos, my pity party is now officially over. Time for me to fight some crime and whatnot with my magic lasso.

Thanks, Virus. You get a cupcake, too.

I smiled at Dr. Bear as I was leaving and said "you should get used to seeing me, 'cause I'll keep coming back until I get in". I know it is a valid concern for them considering many, if not most, of them have put off having a family to focus on their medical career, and if they do have kids in med school they found it extremely challenging. But what they are REALLY saying, whether they realize it or not, is NOT, "OMG! You have NINE kids? Nine? NINE? I don't think you can do this." What they are really saying is "OMG! I couldn't do it with nine kids, so you obviously can't." It is just so frustrating that people project their ideas of what they think they can or cannot do on to me when it is these people who decide whether or not I get to do what I want to do (otherwise I wouldn't give a flying f**k what anyone thinks of me.)

But my case is different. First of all, I'm Wonder Woman.

Of course I can do it. And fight crime and bake cupcakes in my spare time.

Second of all, I came from a large family myself and this is normal for me.

Third, it's not like I'm like the Jon and Kate plus 8 family--most of my kids are older and self-sufficient, with a wide range in their ages. I've taught the ones in school how to cook, clean, do laundry and chores, and the older ones help to occupy the babies' attention while I attend to whatever I need to do. AND my "babies" are 2 and 3, and they are already on their way to independence. I'm not shackled by the needs of an infant. I have plenty of time to sit and play or talk with my kids b/c we work as a team to get things done. I'm not a crazy lady yelling and screaming and pulling my hair out, or crying as I down my sixth shot of tequila.

Fourth, the fact that I am older, I have seen what the big, bad world is all about--I'm not a young, starry-eyed idealist who thinks I'm gonna change the world, only to have my perception of reality shattered when confronted by the unpleasantries of life. I am no longer shielded by the optimism of youth. I know that in every situation in life there will be times when I'll have to do things that I really don't want to do because they need doing. I'm not going to fall apart and have my belief in myself shaken when someone throws up on me, or when I get yelled at by a medical assistant for doing what I was told to do, or when I can't go out and have fun because I have to stay behind and fill out a ton of paperwork, or when I'm tired as hell because I haven't had a decent night's sleep in 9 months, or when I'm told to dig impacted **** out of some pervy old man's ass. Been there, done that. (Okay, maybe not digging impacted **** out of a pervy old man's ass, but I have cleaned up a pervy old man's #2 mess. But I digress.)

I'll be coming into this already knowing how to balance my family's needs with my other obligations. I know who I am, what my strengths are, and what my limitations are. I know that there will be MANY times when it seems like despite all my best efforts, nothing seems to make a difference. And this will not shake my foundational belief in who I am, or drive me to depression, or cause me to quit. In my opinion, it is the intangibles like this that make people in the medical field burn out. I know all this, but the question is how do I convey to the admissions committee that these issues that they see as a liability are actually one of my biggest strengths?

Best damn personal statement I have ever laid eyes on. Clean it up and you got a harvard med school PS. I am not even freaking kidding.

got the update email for the wait list just now... looks like I will definitely be reapplying. They have still only accepted 14! dang it :thumbdown:

That's alright, Doering. More cinnamon rolls for us. Also, there is still time for 7 more people to get off other waitlists and choose to go there.

I like your optimism Jinx! I wish I had that much right now... but on the upside I just started a really good job! At least next year we will have the new anatomy lab Jinx!!!:thumbup:

but just for the record I would gladly quit my job and spend the year in a basement lab for a chance to get in this year. haha

I like your optimism Jinx! I wish I had that much right now... but on the upside I just started a really good job! At least next year we will have the new anatomy lab Jinx!!!:thumbup:

That is looking on the bright side! I hear the new anatomy lab is going to be sick. (I know one of the Anatomy professors and she said that they are going to have a lot of fancy new stuff like cameras and monitors to make it easier for the whole class to observe something at the same time) If it turns out I have to reapply in a couple of years at least the facilities will be new!

Gecko!!! How's it going, brother? Still waiting? Will the Navy let you reapply next year if you don't get off the UHUHS? If so, we might be classmates yet.

Gecko!!! How's it going, brother? Still waiting? Will the Navy let you reapply next year if you don't get off the UHUHS? If so, we might be classmates yet.
Actually just today I got a call from USUHS and I'm in! Was just coming back to tell you guys. I hope that those of you that got in this year do well at UNM and those that will be reapplying I know that UNM *loves* people that have applied one or more times in the past. Unfortunatly I won't be your classmate but I'm sure you guys will rock UNM's socks off.

Actually just today I got a call from USUHS and I'm in! Was just coming back to tell you guys. I hope that those of you that got in this year do well at UNM and those that will be reapplying I know that UNM *loves* people that have applied one or more times in the past. Unfortunatly I won't be your classmate but I'm sure you guys will rock UNM's socks off.

Congratulations, my good sir! I'm so happy for you! Here is a celebratory treat:

spam-musubi.jpg

Jinx,
What else did Dr. Bear say was "missing" from your app? It seems like that is a form of discrimination. Did he say something about grades, or volunteer stuff? I can't remember now, but was there a portion of the application that asked about how many children you had? If not, I wouldn't bring it up again. They see so many apps, that I doubt they would remember, and how can they hold something against you if they don't know. I'm not saying to hide the fact you have sooo many children, but maybe just don't bring it up. I'm sure there are way more interesting things that you have done that you could talk about. Whether we like it or not, there will always be things that other people will judge us on, especially when it is their jobs to find things wrong with us (admissions com.) I was in a frat in college, and we did a lot if cool volunteer stuff every month, but I didn't want the committee to see me as a "frat boy" so I just talked about the things I did in the fraternity, rather than talk about the frat (not that having children is like being in a fraternity, but I had to use some example). I guess what I'm saying is that having children is something we can all do (ok, not all, but most) so don't use a bunch of application space talking about that when you could be talking about other great experiences related to medicine and community involvement I'm sure you have had.

Peace

Somni, these are the things Dr. Bear brought up, along with the suggestions to fix:

1) Grades: a little on the low side, but still okay, esp. because I'm a non-trad and I got a little bit of a pass there because of it. He said it would take around 2 years of taking classes to raise it, and to take time off to do so instead of reapplying this cycle would be a wasted opportunity, so it was probably not even worth it to worry about it.

2) MCAT: also a little on the low side, but still close to the average. He said don't bother retaking unless I was positive that I could raise it, b/c it was good enough for the school.

3) Clinical: Since I had no shadowing experience, he suggested that I arrange to shadow several doctors. He said that, between shadowing and my paid work in the clinic, I should have plenty of clinical experience if I waited until close to the deadline to apply.

4) Other volunteer work: good

5) Research: good

He quickly went through those and said that my app as a whole was in a lot better shape than a lot of other candidates who went through the exit interview, and that the above issues were minor and fixable between now and when I reapply.

But then he spent the rest of the exit interview discussing whether or not my family obligations would interfere with school, as it was a concern of the adcom that was discussed. He asked me how my family life was (??? I honestly was taken aback by that. What type of answer was he looking for? Oh, we are all completely nuts, thank you for asking?) He also asked how I expected to balance school and my kids (I answered that I would approach school as a full-time job, one of which I am already holding down while I attend to my family's needs; he seemed to be a little more satisfied with that answer.)

He did add that there are students who have kids who entered med school, and some who even have kids while in school, and while it is doable, it is definitely challenging. And then went back to voicing the concern that I wouldn't be able to to handle the stress of motherhood and school at the same time. Damn you, Octomom, you are making me look bad!

I'm still undecided on using my magic mommy powers as a tie-in to the skill set I would need as a doctor in my personal statement, but I'm seriously considering it. I'm also thinking of just trying to not bring it up to but be prepared with my spreadsheets of how we have chores and such organized, in case someone asks how I think I'm going to go to school, cook dinner, do laundry, go grocery shopping, and check the kids' homework. Realistically, though, the only way that I could sneak by without the size of my tribe coming up (and the inevitable, unspoken "are you insane, woman?") is if I get interviewed by two men who haven't seen my file yet. Sounds sexist, but women generally ask each other how many kids they have as small talk.

Jinx, I really think your children should be apart of your personal statement. If you talk about it from all angles then there is nothing left to criticize. What I don't like is that he told you that your MCAT and GPA are a little on the low side and that there's not much you can do. I say be aggressive and retake the MCAT. I know it scares people to retake this sucker (I know personally), but I saw a hell of an improvement on the interview trail with just 3 more points, and it might be enough to push you over the edge. Remember, according to their grade scale, the MCAT score counts directly on you score as an applicant! Higher score on the MCAT 100% guarantees that it will be reflected on your admission scores at UNM.

jryan welcome to the board. There are definitely young people accepted to medical school. I think the record is 13 at U of Chicago into a MD/PHd program. I am always in favor of the year off to do something that you love, gain insight into the road you are travelling, and just enjoy life away from school for awhile. It will also help in your personal statement. If you cannot yet articulate the reasons that you want to be a doctor try writing for awhile and see what pops up. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find one little thread and be able to expand on it until you have a nice core to build a personal statement upon. I also strongly strongly recommend that you take a practice verbal MCAT passage as soon as possible to see how much you need to work on that to bring it up. The verbal is hard enough for native speakers, so it is doubly hard if english is your second language. Keep practicing your English and picking up new vocabulary and reading magazines like the economist. Practice Practice!

Thanks for the encouragement, Sir Barfy! I need all I can get right now. Jryan, welcome to the NM thread. Have some lumpia, baby. I'm originally from Guam, so if you want to PM me at anytime, feel free.

Lumpia.jpg

Thanks jinx for the lumpia!:) I'm surprised when I saw it! Hahahahaha! And thanks for the advice Barfamule! Do you have any suggestions, probably a book or a site, where I can practice the verbal reasoning part of the MCAT? And when is the best time to take the MCAT? I'm planning to take it next year. And the MCAT score lasts for 3 years, right? Just want to be sure.

Oh! Almost forgot! Is there anyone familiar here about the National Society of Collegiate Scholars? I received an invitation and still undecided about joining the organization. And there's a 75 dollars fee if you join the org. Will this help me or make my application stronger?

Examkrackers verbal 101 passages is a good book. Also, there is a free AMCAS MCAT test online available that you can do to get a feel for the verbal section. I recommend taking the MCAT about 3-4 months before you apply, so you have the option to retake if it doesn't go according to plan. Check the MCAT study habits thread as the time draws near for more advice. Scores are good for 3 years but I have heard that there is some variation between schools on this. Safer to say 2-3 years.
EC stuff is nice, but what will make your application strong are good cognitive scores(MCAT/GPA), volunteer experience, a timely application and research experience for the bigger schools. Those are the things you want to concentrate on.

Did anyone get fitted for thier white coat yet? An XS is still a little big for me. The lady said they are 'unisex" and that's way they're a little big. They're not the typical measurements like "34-36."