DO-Riz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Visit site
Status
Hey guys,
I was just reading some of the threads here and came across Ansazi mentioning Transcranial Magnetic Simulation, wow that sounds pretty interesting...I wanted to know if there were other modalities that Psychiatrists are using/or are going to use in future that are different from your standard Psychotrops/Psychoanalysis/ECT etc....
Sounds like the field is heading for an exciting future

Thanx

Riz

john182

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Status
DO-Riz said:
Hey guys,
I was just reading some of the threads here and came across Ansazi mentioning Transcranial Magnetic Simulation, wow that sounds pretty interesting...I wanted to know if there were other modalities that Psychiatrists are using/or are going to use in future that are different from your standard Psychotrops/Psychoanalysis/ECT etc....
Sounds like the field is heading for an exciting future

Thanx

Riz
Vagal Nerve Stimulation: but it's got a fair few risks associated like PE and vocal cord palsy. Plus it's invasive so would be best suited in perhaps isolated/extreme cases, if at all.

Psychoanalysis: you mentioned it but it's not common these days. Typically involved lenghty postgrad training. I'd be surprised if any psych trainee/resident is studying it.

Probably the future is in Functional MRI and TMS. It will get to the stage where you'll get very accurate receptor maps of the brain and custom (for each individual) drug delivery systems, I would think.

TMS would be great as likely less S/E c/t standard rx. Maybe minaturise it to fit in a cell phone!

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
john182 said:
Vagal Nerve Stimulation: but it's got a fair few risks associated like PE and vocal cord palsy. Plus it's invasive so would be best suited in perhaps isolated/extreme cases, if at all.

Psychoanalysis: you mentioned it but it's not common these days. Typically involved lenghty postgrad training. I'd be surprised if any psych trainee/resident is studying it.

Probably the future is in Functional MRI and TMS. It will get to the stage where you'll get very accurate receptor maps of the brain and custom (for each individual) drug delivery systems, I would think.

TMS would be great as likely less S/E c/t standard rx. Maybe minaturise it to fit in a cell phone!
Love to see the day where psych c/s teams are running around the hospitals with little TMS kits in their coat pockets, or administering TMS in the ER and sending pts home...

tomato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Psychoanalysis may not be common in places other than New York, Boston, New Haven, London, Buenos Aires and a few other places, but -- surprise -- there are residents studying it. In fact, quite a few residents in New York are not only pursuing analytic training during their fourth years, but a number are also working to modernize some of the traditional modalities and concretize the findings in scientific literature. I'm sure if you took the trouble to look you would find residents studying it elsewhere. A simple search on pubmed.gov will reveal a list of papers published in the last few years that relate to psychoanalysis. You could start with Kernberg, OF.

Analysis is clearly not the major pursuit of most Psychiatry residents, but it is still alive.