New Movie: AWAKE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stversko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has seen the new movie...
"AWAKE" which came out this past Friday, Nov 30th. Starring jessican Alba and Haydn Christensen.

I'm not promoting the move in any way i would just like to know the thoughts of those of you who have seen it, or are aware about the concept of Anesthetic Awareness.

Movie is based upon the horrors of "Anesthetic Awareness" which affects approx 0.01-0.02% of all General Anesthesia patients.

Anesthesia awareness, or "unintended intra-operative awareness" occurs during general anesthesia, when a patient has not had enough general anesthetic or analgesic to prevent consciousness and the recall of events.

Visit Wikpedia for more info.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has seen the new movie...
"AWAKE" which came out this past Friday, Nov 30th. Starring jessican Alba and Haydn Christensen.

I'm not promoting the move in any way i would just like to know the thoughts of those of you who have seen it, or are aware about the concept of Anesthetic Awareness.

Movie is based upon the horrors of "Anesthetic Awareness" which affects approx 0.01-0.02% of all General Anesthesia patients.

Anesthesia awareness, or "unintended intra-operative awareness" occurs during general anesthesia, when a patient has not had enough general anesthetic or analgesic to prevent consciousness and the recall of events.

Visit Wikpedia for more info.

They've discussed this movie pretty extensively over in the gasforums. The professional society of anesthesiologists even released a mailer to advise people to not respond to its contentions to give it inadvertent and free publicity.

My view is that anything that increases the irrational fear of patients and dramatizes potentially suable adverse events is not beneficial for medicine or the patient. Personally, I don't think it'll have a very big population level effect, but seriously what kind of premise is that for a movie?

I haven't seen it yet but so far it's gotten really bad reviews. Then again I don't listen to what they say since they usually give excellent reviews to movies that aren't pleasing to watch when in a good mood:rolleyes:

It looks interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
I opologize, I did not do a thorough search of the forums prior to posting. But, since the movie did just finally come out i dont see why not discuss the possible effects of the matter.

They've discussed this movie pretty extensively over in the gasforums. The professional society of anesthesiologists even released a mailer to advise people to not respond to its contentions to give it inadvertent and free publicity.

My view is that anything that increases the irrational fear of patients and dramatizes potentially suable adverse events is not beneficial for medicine or the patient. Personally, I don't think it'll have a very big population level effect, but seriously what kind of premise is that for a movie?

I opologize, I did not do a thorough search of the forums prior to posting. But, since the movie did just finally come out i dont see why not discuss the possible effects of the matter.

I'm not proud to say this but . . . I've seen it. It was pretty darned lame. Zilch as far as medical realism. The surgeon vacillates between being scrubbed in and not, people are messing with their masks during surgery, they even let Jessica Alba in the room in casual clothes without a mask during open heart surgery :eek: ! What I will say is that the plot twist was somewhat interesting. Other than that, the merits of this movie are slim to none.

Oh great, another Hollywood medical movie crapfest.

saw it yesterday. wasn't so bad. it is def. far from being medically realistic, but the son-mother dichotomy was pretty powerful. i really liked lena olin's act.
and the hospital prototype: New york cornell hospital (my gues???)

would be interesting to hear more opinions and constructive criticism, something besides crap, sh$%^t,F$%^^k.

No need to apologize, I was just noting that it had been discussed by anesthesiologists themselves if anyone was interested in their opinion.

I saw it a couple days ago. Not a horrible movie, the plot was interesting with a nice dramatic twist. As far as the medical realism, others hit on point, none. Will it have a major adverse affect on anything really? No. It was just a mediocre movie. There were a few positive plugs for physicians initially, discussion of the immeasurable number of "bull**** malpractice cases," and in the end a responsible doctor displayed proper patient care (sorta), though not realistic. All in all just not really a big deal. Go see it to be entertained. If you like to try and figure out plot twists before they happen, it could be a fun movie for you.

I saw it a couple days ago. Not a horrible movie, the plot was interesting with a nice dramatic twist. As far as the medical realism, others hit on point, none. Will it have a major adverse affect on anything really? No. It was just a mediocre movie. There were a few positive plugs for physicians initially, discussion of the immeasurable number of "bull**** malpractice cases," and in the end a responsible doctor displayed proper patient care (sorta), though not realistic. All in all just not really a big deal. Go see it to be entertained. If you like to try and figure out plot twists before they happen, it could be a fun movie for you.

Thanks for the review. I think I'll be checking this movie out some time soon.