New NBDE part 1 rules for foriegn trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zelikovdds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been going through the new rules and regulations posted on the ADA website and came across something startling. Under one of the new rules implemented in 2010 for the part 1 exam, it states that you need to be enrolled in a US dental school to be able to gain eligibility for the exam. I know I'm probably paranoid, but with all the new rule changes for 2010, can someone clarify it?

the link to the ada website with the associated pdf is here on page 15:

http://ada.org/prof/ed/testing/adea_2008_jcnde_update_nbde.pdf

the quote is as follows-

An eligibility requirement that internationally trained dentists, from non-accredited dental schools, once enrolled in a predoctoral dental program in the U.S. be required to request certification of the dental school dean where the students are enrolled in order to be eligible to take the National Board examinations.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea , 2 years ago my friend in dental school told me that NBDE will be Pass/fail
and he has been told that the international program will be cancel....
what I reading now, look like wi be True ...

That means the new forgen dentist must Pass in DAT to enroll to dental school first and repeat 4 years . ...:uhno:

hey guys,

If this is the case then should we consider taking the exam in 2009?
i m really confused coz i m also a foreign trained dentist.:confused:

as i was skiptic ...the key thing is what is meant by the pre-doctoral prog. which is not the international 2 years prog intended for the foreign dentists,,,
i suppose that it is a different prog.wich we have to investigate.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-doctoral program means dental school for anyone confused about that.

I received an email back from the ADA testing people and they said it was only in reference to those who had already been accepted to a dental school here is the quote they sent

This policy applies only to internationally educated dentists who have enrolled in a U.S. predoctoral dental education program or supplemental program that qualifies internationally trained dentists for licensure in a specific state in the U.S. If you wish to take the National Board exam, the eligibility requirement described under “Dental Student” would apply to you while you are enrolled in a European dental school. If you wish to take the test after graduation, the requirements under “Non-Accredited Dental School Graduate” apply. I hope this information is helpful in clarifying the eligibility requirement.
Laura M. Neumann, DDS, MPH neumannL@ada.org
Senior Vice President
Education/Professional Affairs

so i guess its void if we are enrolled in a dental program in the EU at least when we apply for the test.

My thoughts on this is that the US and Canadian dental education programs are moving toward making the exam harder in both the material and eligibility of non-dental students from coming over. All in all, its not bad news, but it sure as hell looks like they are moving to a USMLE type format for future testing and more school will probably incorporate a practical skills test. These are just speculations.

Also, does anyone know if Part II is turning to a pass/fail score as well?

hey guys,

If this is the case then should we consider taking the exam in 2009?
i m really confused coz i m also a foreign trained dentist.:confused:
hie, did u got the reply of ur question ? actually i am concerned abt this coz iam actually facing the same problem and i am sure u can help me with this ?

hi,
right now i have no idea about this. anyway i m planning to give exam in march. we will hope for the better....

i contacted ADA and they said "
You misinterpreted that rule, once you become enrolled in a US dental school the dean must approve the NB application."

Bottomline: Are we allowed to retake the test in 2009, if we didn't do well in our first attempt in prior yr?

Hi,
Well I went through all the communication, and since I joint today and I'm really trying hard to find my way amoung thousand of rules and ways, I just wanna know if sombody can tell me if the below is right ( I have my degree in detistry in 2001 and I was practicing for the last 6 years.

1- get the toffel
2- get the ECE along with the ADA application
3- get from the dean the appropriate letter that should be sent directly to the ADA
4- Get the NBDE 1
5- get the scores
6-Apply for the NBDE 2
7-get the scores

8- send all of these to the university
9- start 2 years of schooling
10- final exam in 2 years
11- get the working licence

If this is the right proceedure, is there any possibility to work meanwhile in the dental field for any kind of income.

By the end we need to pay our fee and our daily living necesity:)
Thanks and really appreciate it
this site is the best way for me to get to understand whats happening exactly

yes..ur right..this is the procedure.
some schools require only part 1.so, if u have a good score in part 1,then u can start applying to those schools.
working here depends on ur visa status.eg, people wth H4 ,cannot work.
if u are eligible to work..u can try to work as a dental assistant/observeship.

Last edited: