New Nellis Family Med Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bqj

bqj
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like a good opportunity for upcoming FP interns (like me) to help shape a brand new program, but any thoughts about having to be the guinea pigs?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like a good opportunity for upcoming FP interns (like me) to help shape a brand new program, but any thoughts about having to be the guinea pigs?

There is always a small risk that you will end up "graduating" from a program that didn't get accredited. Maybe Navy FP can speak to what happened in Lejeune and if it was a problem for any of the trainees.

What happened at Camp Lejeune???

Members don't see this ad :)
There is always a small risk that you will end up "graduating" from a program that didn't get accredited. Maybe Navy FP can speak to what happened in Lejeune and if it was a problem for any of the trainees.

Actually, there are no issues with LeJeune. My understanding is that you are given provisional accreditation until you graduate your first class, then you can get full accreditation. Lejeune is (and has been) fully accredited with 3 year accreditation.

being a guinea pig for the govt is generally a bad idea. being a guinea pig for air force primary care might be a really, really bad idea.
might as well roll the dice... although you would be in vegas, so maybe not the best gamble.

well most of the Docs who set up the program are actually coming from other places that are already established. So most (if not all) have teaching experience already. I am pretty certain Dr. Crownover has already started another AF family residency but I can't remember where.

I know it will be interesting... being the second graduating class for a school presented quite a few challenges. I am sure it will be much of the same. If you are comfortable with the uncertainty and change that always comes with a new endeavor I think you will be fine!

I am also applying for family med. I have looked into the Nellis program and it looks pretty solid. I believe the director used to run the Eglin program. Contact them directly by the email on their site if you have questions, they have been very nice and answered all my questions.

Actually, there are no issues with LeJeune. My understanding is that you are given provisional accreditation until you graduate your first class, then you can get full accreditation. Lejeune is (and has been) fully accredited with 3 year accreditation.

Wasn't there a little hiccup or two getting this program off the ground? Maybe I was misinformed.