new online medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honorstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this new medical school that offers the first 2 years of med school online.
Tuition is really cheap too.
just wanted to know what you all think.
the website is : http://www.medicalschoolonline.com
what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a pretty bad idea for several reasons. And don't be fooled: this place is NOT letting you do your first years of med school online and letting you do years 3 and 4 elsewhere, though that's what they'd lead you to believe. Read the Fine Print.

Some of the red flags about the dubious nature of this place are 1. slanted self-advertising, 2. grammatical/spelling errors on the site, 3. badmouthing programs with which they are in direct competition (the offshore schools -- other med schools do NOT do this if they're solid in their own right), 4. lack of protection from discrimination for students based on sexual orientation, and 5. a lack of hard and fast transfer info. Why don't they say more about the likelihood of transfer? Because they don't want to tell you it's Zero in terms of transfer to an accredited US medical school.

As a nonaccredited program not leading to any true portion of an MD degree (they haven't been granted accredidation yet, and while they're optimistic I think it behooves a prospective applicant to wait until it comes through), it's unlikely a US med school would accept a transfer from this school to anything but MS-I (the same as all other incoming first-years). Even then, grades from a post-bacc program in the US may well be preferred by an adcom. If you're a slow learner or anticipate big issues with med school classes once in, it might be a possibility -- but I think the reasons below tip the balance towards in-person work.

There is something about having a *class* that I find important in medical and graduate school. Having peers to bounce ideas off of, have fun with, stress out with, is a big deal. People to explore with (especially in Problem Based Learning and similar peer-teaching-peer courses) and debate with (in medical ethics and behavioral medicine) are imperative. Physical diagnosis courses are all the better with interactive peer and MD work (though this isn't mentioned on the site and can be a source of trouble for some med students, more than the bookwork for a certain few). And having a true support network, a web around you, is vastly different from a virtual "community." While it might be a neat idea, medicine is a field that concerns itself primarly with PEOPLE. Should't the career path, no matter how preparatory, begin with actual people as well?

Thanks for the info girlmd. Do you know if admissions are more "relaxed" for January? I'm just curious. I spoken with many hospitals around NJ/Philly and all have spoken very favorably of SG's residents. I'm looking forward to the interview, I'm just so nervous, you know...its like your life is hindering on this 30 minutes, and there isn't anything you can do. Oh well, I guess I'll just wish for the best! Hopefully I WILL see you on the island...I'll keep you posted.

Double posting makes the boards less valuable for us all.

Since this is post is indentically posted in the International Forum, kindly make further replies in that Forum. This will make for greater user friendliness.

Thanks.