New , Opinions on U of TN & DAT score needed

Discussion in 'Dental' started by DATMATT, Jan 16, 2002.

1. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU

Hi, I have been reading posts and benefited from them. I currently have a science GPA of about a 3.2 and overall GPA of 3.5. I already completed my under grad in Math Education. I still need to take these courses to get into dental school: 1 yr. of organic, 1 yr. of physics, 1 sem of biochem, 1 sem of microbio &/or anat and phys. I plan on taking the DAT this spring so I can apply for the fall of 93. How will schools view me with this many "outstanding" courses not yet taken? What should I aim for on the DAT?

BTW, does anyone know anything about U of TN dental school? I know they have special application procedures because they are not part of the network. THANKS!
    [email protected]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ineedanassociate

Are you taking any of your outstanding courses currently? Unless the DAT has changed dramatically I would think you would need the Organic chem. and physics to attempt the science portion of the exam! You might get more info. on the Pre-dent board.

4. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU

I have taken a 1 sem organic chem class (which some schools accept such as U of Wash) but will need a full year of organic to get into U of TN & most other schools. I teach high school math and chemistry so I am not worried about those parts of the exam. I do need to brush up on my organic however. Physics is not required on the DAT but I have had a trimester course in physics. So any new opinions on how my academic history will be viewed?

5. Ineedanassociate

Appears you have things well in hand. I worked for a year or so in early childhood education. My best freinds in dental school were "non-Tradtional"students one had been in the Air Force for 4 years out of High School, the other had been a RDH for 4-5 years. They wereto of the top 10 or so students. IMHO those who work at something else for a while have a bit more motivation than the "straight through school" student. I would think your standing would be very good,my only concern would be limiting yourself to just one program .

6. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU

I did not understand what this meant: IMHO those who work at something else for a while have a bit more motivation than the "straight through school" student. IMHO? A typo or acronym? Also, by one program do you mean limiting myself to only U of TN?

Thanks,

Matt Palomaki

7. Ineedanassociate

Yes IMHO is an acronym for In My Humble Opinion.
    Yes my reading of your posts seemed to be that you were only considering UTN?

8. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU

Thanks a bunch Ineedanassoc. I am considering about 10 schools in all. Your help was great.

Matt

9. Ineedanassociate

Your vey welcome Matt. Take care and keep us posted on your progress. Scott