New or old MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's a tough choice because you don't know what it will exactly be like and its even more information. However, I my mcat had an experimental section on the new behavioral stuff and didn't think it was very difficult. Probably just need to know some definitions

If your strengths lie primarily in the hard sciences, I would take the old one. If you think that questions in the social and behavioral sciences would benefit you more than the average test taker, I would take the new one.

Personally, I would take the new one, but my background is humanities-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Class of 2016 as well, and I know exactly how you feel. However, I've pretty much made up my mind on taking the new MCAT spring of 2016. I have already added psych, soci, and biochem on to my planned schedule as well.

Think of it this way. The new MCAT was made for our class to be the first ones to take it. No matter what, some people are going to take it in the future. There's no point of being afraid of the unknown. I know aamc is releasing a practice test Fall 2014 and all the exam companies will crank out new practice books after the first 2015 test group. It would be best to not cram all the pre-reqs in and rush the MCAT. I prefer taking it once and doing my best. Just rise up to the challenge, work hard, and do well.

I'll admit that I'm kind of nervous for the MCAT too, but that's 3 years from now. I'll enjoy my undergrad a bit longer :)

I'm Class of 2016 as well, and I know exactly how you feel. However, I've pretty much made up my mind on taking the new MCAT spring of 2016. I have already added psych, soci, and biochem on to my planned schedule as well.

Think of it this way. The new MCAT was made for our class to be the first ones to take it. No matter what, some people are going to take it in the future. There's no point of being afraid of the unknown. I know aamc is releasing a practice test Fall 2014 and all the exam companies will crank out new practice books after the first 2015 test group. It would be best to not cram all the pre-reqs in and rush the MCAT. I prefer taking it once and doing my best. Just rise up to the challenge, work hard, and do well.

I'll admit that I'm kind of nervous for the MCAT too, but that's 3 years from now. I'll enjoy my undergrad a bit longer :)

I like your attitude! My feeling is this: They changed the MCAT because they want to see that we are comfortable with all of these new things. They think it's important for The Future Of Medicine. So I think it's gonna look better to just take the new test and show them that we're not trying to get by with the bare minimum and these new competencies are important to us too. But we gotta prepare appropriately and not bomb the test! :xf:

When will you have finished Chem I&II, Bio I&II, Physics I&II and OChem I&II? See the chart below.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/332616/whichexamwillyoutake.html

I am also graduating in 2016, but given that I will have completed every class I need by next year, I plan to take the 2014 MCAT in August, after studying all summer. :D
I'll have completed Gen bio and chem I and II, biochem, and orgo by the end of spring semester next year. But I'd have to take both my physics over the summer if I wanted to write the MCAT in September of 2014 =/

Is this a good idea? Or better to wait?

Also, is it true that med schools are now preferring and even recommending that applicants graduating in 2016 take the new mcat and not the old one?

Also, is it true that med schools are now preferring and even recommending that applicants graduating in 2016 take the new mcat and not the old one?

The last time you can take the current MCAT is January of 2015. If you think you will be well prepared to tackle it by then, go ahead. Otherwise, you gotta do the new one. That's the only official recommendation I've seen so far.

The last time you can take the current MCAT is January of 2015. If you think you will be well prepared to tackle it by then, go ahead. Otherwise, you gotta do the new one. That's the only official recommendation I've seen so far.
Wait...are you sure? Because I thought the new MCAT goes live from January 2015 and onwards. That would mean that the last date to take the old mcat would in sept. 2014

The current MCAT will be given up to January 2015, as suggested by the table I linked.

I am graduating in 2017 and I will also be taking the new MCAT (one of the first exam administrations as well).

The only confusing aspect is during medical school application process, there will be those who apply with the old score and those that apply with the new score.

New score is out of 60, while old score is out of 45. Hmm....

Wait...are you sure? Because I thought the new MCAT goes live from January 2015 and onwards. That would mean that the last date to take the old mcat would in sept. 2014

100% sure that the new test doesn't go live until Spring 2015.

I am graduating in 2017 and I will also be taking the new MCAT (one of the first exam administrations as well).

The only confusing aspect is during medical school application process, there will be those who apply with the old score and those that apply with the new score.

New score is out of 60, while old score is out of 45. Hmm....

Percentiles are compared relative to one another. A 39/45 is equivalent to 52/60, as I predict.

So if it's up to jan. 2015, does that mean I can take it then or no?

So if it's up to jan. 2015, does that mean I can take it then or no?

If you take the MCAT in January 2015, it will be the old MCAT. Why is this hard? Go to their website and read about it. It's very clear.

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm thinking of taking the new MCAT. If you're graduating in 2016, you probably remember how the SAT Writing section was added in a few years before we took it and that colleges still don't consider the writing section as much as they do the reading and mathematics section. I just feel like taking the later MCAT will give me more time to prepare and that medical schools will recognize that it's a new section that doesn't have established norms yet.