New Orleans programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlie1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from new orleans programs? how are they post-katrina? i've heard various rumors.... just wondering how they matched and what the future is at tulane/oschner.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey -- thanks for asking about us!

Things are really getting back to normal at Tulane. We matched a full class for this year without having to go to the scramble. So far everyone is really excited to be here and eager to be a part of rebuilding New Orleans. We are mostly working out of Tulane and Lakeside Hospitals right now, but we should have the VA back (in rented space) by September and University/Charity soon after. The outpatient clinic rotations are normal or better since we have expanded our community role and we are needed even more than ever. As far as out patient care experiences, Katrina really gave the internists work since people have been off their chronic meds since the storm and are just wandering back in, either through the clinics or through the ER, often in extremis. This is unfortunate for them but provides great learning experiences for us and keeps us nice and busy. I'm enjoying not being an intern anymore and I am so happy to be working with a group that is so enthusiastic about being here as a part of our program. And, as always, we are social folks and the parties are in full swing. Since July 1, we have had at least 3 parties, not to mention the 2 or 3 in the week of intern orientation. So, to answer your question re: Tulane, so far so good!