New Osteopathic Medical School: Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ktvb.com/news/education/idaho-to-consider-first-ever-medical-school/56402013

New private medical school in Idaho with the investors from BCOM and will be in Meridian with the Idaho State University campus.

I'm so freaking stoked I can't even get my heart rate down. A DO school IN MY FREAKING HOMETOWN AHHHHHHH.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like this will be Idaho's first medical school. Nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I sincerely doubt it will get off the ground and if it does then I see it as another nail in the coffin of the DO degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like this will be Idaho's first medical school. Nice!

It is!!! We have the WWAMI agreement and PNWU takes the most DO applicants from Idaho, but we never had a school for ourselves. And it should be taking applications next cycle when I apply. AHHOMMMGGGGG

I am doubting it would be set up so fast that it will be on time for the next cycle. Probably it would be ready for the 2017-2018 cycle at the fastest. However, GME needs to be set in place in order for this to happen. Idaho State University currently has one ACGME family residency and all the reset are family medicine or internal medicine. Being for profit will probably speed up the funding process.

Didn't the same people already try and fail in Montana? I doubt this gets off the ground. They've already saturated medical education in New Mexico, I would be surprised if anyone let the money grab happen twice...

Reactions: 3 users
Unlike the last attempt in Montana, it seems like they got strong support from Idaho officials. I'm fairly certainly this will go through.

Good for Montana. OP you are way too excited about attending a brand new DO school with no established relationships and 18 months to scrap together a faculty, curriculum, facilities, class, etc. Not to mention to be qualified for federal aid. This should be a last resort school for any self-respecting applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
Good for Montana. OP you are way too excited about attending a brand new DO school with no established relationships and 18 months to scrap together a faculty, curriculum, facilities, class, etc. Not to mention to be qualified for federal aid. This should be a last resort school for any self-respecting applicant.

You clearly don't know my background at all, otherwise it'd be clear why I'd be excited. I'm not stupid and I know this will be a new school with likely issues, but I would take that over not getting into any school. I'm not in a position to be choosy.

Didn't the same people already try and fail in Montana? I doubt this gets off the ground. They've already saturated medical education in New Mexico, I would be surprised if anyone let the money grab happen twice...

The state has wanted a med school here for a while and it's been really ****ty not having one here and instead shipping our students to Washington or Utah where they never come back. The biggest problem, which seems congruent with the usual, is that there aren't enough residency positions in Idaho to support this school, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Steve Jobs would've been like "Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present to you, the iCOM!!!! It won't just change the way we look at DO schools. It will change the entire medical school system in the United States and beyond!!"

I am doubting it would be set up so fast that it will be on time for the next cycle. Probably it would be ready for the 2017-2018 cycle at the fastest. However, GME needs to be set in place in order for this to happen. Idaho State University currently has one ACGME family residency and all the reset are family medicine or internal medicine. Being for profit will probably speed up the funding process.

Any school that sets things up so fast and haphazardly would make me exceptionally leery, OP needs to be careful with the excitement.

Actually the state of New Mexico gave BCOM their full support and it seems like they know what they are doing and are doing all the right things in setting it up. Agree they are expanding wayy to fast, this should be stopped.

You clearly don't know my background at all, otherwise it'd be clear why I'd be excited. I'm not stupid and I know this will be a new school with likely issues, but I would take that over not getting into any school. I'm not in a position to be choosy.

The state has wanted a med school here for a while and it's been really ****ty not having one here and instead shipping our students to Washington or Utah where they never come back. The biggest problem, which seems congruent with the usual, is that there aren't enough residency positions in Idaho to support this school, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Hate to break it to you but people who go to this school aren't going to stay in Idaho either... While it might have a slight preference for Idaho students, don't be fooled; it won't be strong. Peple will come from all over the country and will be shipped all over for rotations and then will never come back. Idaho needs a small school, but this one isn't what it needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sincerely doubt it will get off the ground and if it does then I see it as another nail in the coffin of the DO degree.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you and others elaborate on what you mean? X.X

It's a state with 1.64 million people and 0 medical schools- to give you a comparison, Connecticut and Puerto Rico have populations of over 3 million with 3 medical schools each. Idaho could actually use a school.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a New Mexican, and being completely honest when I say this. We might have the need for two schools, but do not have enough students strong enough to fill them. Inevitably BCOM will start to take more and more from out-of-state as it cuts down on reapplicants to UNM, and there won't be enough New Mexicans applying to satisfy the mission. With WWAMI and Utah, I see a similar scenario shaping up here. This isn't just my naive opinion, but also the opinion of many respected doctors (both MD and DO) in New Mexico.

I'm a New Mexican, and being completely honest when I say this. We might have the need for two schools, but do not have enough students strong enough to fill them. Inevitably BCOM will start to take more and more from out-of-state as it cuts down on reapplicants to UNM, and there won't be enough New Mexicans applying to satisfy the mission. With WWAMI and Utah, I see a similar scenario shaping up here. This isn't just my naive opinion, but also the opinion of many respected doctors (both MD and DO) in New Mexico.

With most osteopathic schools, they look to serve a certain region and not just the state they are in. This is probably what will happen with BCOM if it can't get strong enough students. If they start creating more hubs for clinical rotations, then their mission will expand out to helping people in the region where their hubs are (currently NM, TX, and AZ). However, you are correct in that there will be quite a few people outside the region being accepted to the school, like in the case of WVSOM.

How many residency spots are there in Idaho? I remember reading a figure saying something like 80% of employed physicians work in the same state they did their residency in

Let's be honest. ICOM will be the new spot for hungry CA applicants who suddenly want to settle and practice in the PNW.

We need more medical schools to stop midlevel encroachment. Aslong as our accrediting body remains strong we are fine.

People should start worrying when carribean grads go from current 40-50% match rates to 10-15% or when those schools shut down.

until that happens we know there is a real shortage and problem

This is potentially okay, so long as it doesn't interfere with WWAMI/Utah. Or with Idaho establishing a public MD school. Overall, I'm pretty against this, and I am an Idaho student at either WWAMI/Utah.

This is potentially okay, so long as it doesn't interfere with WWAMI/Utah. Or with Idaho establishing a public MD school. Overall, I'm pretty against this, and I am an Idaho student at either WWAMI/Utah.

How do you see this interfering with those programs? The slots are extremely limited for pretty high caliber students. It's unlikely those same students are applying to DO schools.

scrap together a faculty, curriculum, facilities, class, etc.

This isn't découpage. They had a plan put together for the school proposed in MT, though they lacked community backing. They're just applying that same concept in a neighboring state. I believe it's a good thing for the region especially in a state with no med school. srynotsrycaribs.

We need more medical schools to stop midlevel encroachment. Aslong as our accrediting body remains strong we are fine.

People should start worrying when carribean grads go from current 40-50% match rates to 10-15% or when those schools shut down.

until that happens we know there is a real shortage and problem

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong this line of thinking is...

Reactions: 2 users
Settle down. They're opening a new medical school, not releasing the cracken.

Reactions: 3 users
How do you see this interfering with those programs? The slots are extremely limited for pretty high caliber students. It's unlikely those same students are applying to DO schools.

If the state of Idaho decides there is no longer a need for WWAMI/Utah because of this "school". THAT would be terrible. Going to a "for profit" DO school doesn't give someone a whole lot of credibility for lots of residency programs. Hopefully this school alone is not Idaho's solution to the doctor shortage. Additionally, make no mistake. ICOM is a business. They aren't accountable to the people of the state or even their students. Their goal is to make money. Not at all a good model for medical education.

If the state of Idaho decides there is no longer a need for WWAMI/Utah because of this "school". THAT would be terrible. Going to a "for profit" DO school doesn't give someone a whole lot of credibility for lots of residency programs. Hopefully this school alone is not Idaho's solution to the doctor shortage. Additionally, make no mistake. ICOM is a business. They aren't accountable to the people of the state or even their students. Their goal is to make money. Not at all a good model for medical education.

Hate to break it to you but so is every other organization in this country. Yes, even those oh so precious "non-profit" universities. Tax status had 0 bearing on medical education as RVU has shown. Seeing as LCME gave accreditation to CNU it is apparent they think so as well. This school has legitimate concerns such as rotation spots, GME, shoddy management etc. Focusing on such an inconsequential point like tax status isn't going to get the argument very far. This argument is so tiring, it was all people could talk about when RVU opened up and we continue to beat a dead horse long after it has shown that it really doesn't affect medical education.

Oh and going to any DO school will not win you any favors in the eyes of PDs. PDs obviously don't care about "for profit". Just look at RVUs match list. This only exists in the minds of pre-meds and the self-righteous who think "non-profit" means those who run the organizations are doing it for minimum wage.

Reactions: 7 users
If the state of Idaho decides there is no longer a need for WWAMI/Utah because of this "school". THAT would be terrible. Going to a "for profit" DO school doesn't give someone a whole lot of credibility for lots of residency programs. Hopefully this school alone is not Idaho's solution to the doctor shortage.
Hate to break it to you but so is every other organization in this country. Yes, even those oh so precious "non-profit" universities. Tax status had 0 bearing on medical education as RVU has shown. Seeing as LCME gave accreditation to CNU it is apparent they think so as well. This school has legitimate concerns such as rotation spots, GME, shoddy management etc. Focusing on such an inconsequential point like tax status isn't going to get the argument very far. This argument is so tiring, it was all people could talk about when RVU opened up and we continue to beat a dead horse long after it has shown that it really doesn't affect medical education.

Oh and going to any DO school will not win you any favors in the eyes of PDs. PDs obviously don't care about "for profit". Just look at RVUs match list. This only exists in the minds of pre-meds and the self-righteous who think "non-profit" means those who run the organizations are doing it for minimum wage.

Overall, my main concern is that this "school" will interfere with WWAMI/Utah. For profit isn't ideal, but it's not really why I am against it.

Just as a general statement, "for-profit" means nothing when comparing quality of education or patient care. For-profit only takes into account their status of funding and financial concerns. Some of the best hospitals in the world are for-profit. So, please, let's not bring this up when comparing medical schools..it literally has no grounds for comparison as far as education is concerned.

Overall, my main concern is that this "school" will interfere with WWAMI/Utah. For profit isn't ideal, but it's not really why I am against it.

100% agree on this point. Definitely a concern that Washington and Utah will decide Idaho no longer needs their help so they cut down on the number of seats they reserve.

Non-profit and for-profit designations for schools are like subsidized corn versus unsubsidized corn. Both will feed you, but in a different way. I think there should be/is a difference, but not at the level where one physician will be competent and the other won't.

People on SDN keep saying that DO is getting more competitive and stats are getting closer to MD, now apparently there won't be enough "strong applicants" to fill seats at this new school. Get real. If you build it, they will come. Be excited OP, seems like you are getting an ideal situation for you to become a physician. Best of luck!

Hi I'm new to this site. I'm an Idaho resident but a second semester sophomore at another school out of state. I am also excited to hear that Idaho is finally getting a medical school since going home to live in my beloved state is high on my wish list.

People on SDN keep saying that DO is getting more competitive and stats are getting closer to MD, now apparently there won't be enough "strong applicants" to fill seats at this new school. Get real. If you build it, they will come. Be excited OP, seems like you are getting an ideal situation for you to become a physician. Best of luck!

Haha thank you! I'm not delusional, I know it's not going to be a top-tier school right out of the gate. However, if anyone knows my comeback story, I'll take any opportunity to become a physician (not including Carrib obviously). Since this'll be open for applications next year when I start applying, it basically works out perfectly for me: I'll be an Idaho resident which they'll favor and my stats will be greater than what they can ask for as a new school. It won't actually be my top choice, but I'm not going to scoff at going there if it's the only acceptance I get either.

Hi I'm new to this site. I'm an Idaho resident but a second semester sophomore at another school out of state. I am also excited to hear that Idaho is finally getting a medical school since going home to live in my beloved state is high on my wish list.

You're fairly new into college, you have plenty of time to get your GPA and MCAT high enough that you can apply to MD schools. I wouldn't bank on this school that early into your college career. Welcome fellow Idahoan!

Thanks! I love my state. I'm not banking on it but I'm sure happy to see it on the horizon.