New Partnership Track in Minneapolis-General and Cardiac Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lurch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Minneapolis Anesthesia Partners is seeking BC/BE anesthesiologists to provide comprehensive anesthesia care at Abbott Northwestern Hospital (ANW) in Minneapolis, MN starting July 2020.

We are a newly-formed democratic, egalitarian private practice group replacing a national anesthesia management company at ANW. This is a true partnership position, with full profit-sharing and voting rights after three years. This a unique opportunity for those with leadership qualities who hope to shape their future practice.

Abbott Northwestern is the 700-bed, flagship, quaternary care center of the Minneapolis-based Allina Health system. It is consistently ranked the #1 hospital in the Twin Cities by US News and World Report and a Top 100 overall hospital in the nation.

Anesthesia sites include 38 main-suite ORs and 3 Mother Baby Center ORs, as well as sites in endoscopy, radiology, ECT, and an outpatient surgery center. The case mix includes general surgery, colorectal, urology, gynecology, ENT, orthopedics, neurosurgery, thoracic, spine, and obstetrics (including high-risk).

Despite its chilly winters, Minnesota’s Twin Cities metro area is one of the best areas in the country. Minnesota has been called America’s safest state, least stressed state, the best state for women, best state to raise a family, and a Top 5 state for doctors. Additionally, Minneapolis was named America’s most underrated city, as well as the 2nd healthiest city, and 6th best place to live (by USNWR).

Please contact [email protected] if interested in discussing further.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a great opportunity ladies and gentlemen. These days not many MGMA 90th+ percentile groups are looking for prospective partners.

Even if you hate the cold weather like I do this is a rare gem of an opportunity. Minneapolis is a nice place to live (been there) especially in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great opportunity ladies and gentlemen. These days not many MGMA 90th+ percentile groups are looking for prospective partners.

Even if you hate the cold weather like I do this is a rare gem of an opportunity. Minneapolis is a nice place to live (been there) especially in the summer.
Thanks Blade. That is certainly how we view things. We have built a practice that has been good for us, the hospital, and our patients over the years and we are trying to replicate that success with this new venture. It will only serve to make our market better in the years to come. Again this is an exciting opportunity and one that does not come along with any regularity in our profession. Your timing is good if you’re reading this.

Members don't see this ad :)

There was no mention of salary, benefits, and time off. Where did you gather it is a 90th %tile job?

Reactions: 2 users
There was no mention of salary, benefits, and time off. Where did you gather it is a 90th %tile job?
Oh it’s 95th percentile. This is a great job in a nice location. Good payer mix. It’s so lucrative that I would come out of semi retirement and move from Florida to Minneapolis to get this contract. This type of job is very very hard to find these days.

• Haha
Unfortunately couldn't pay me enough to deal with worse winter, can you relocate to warmer regions? :)

I would consider if I had a MN license. At this point I may not mind the winter. I was considering Syracuse until the chair decided to pull the “fade away”. It really sounds like a good opportunity but I just have too many licenses to maintain and I dread the thought at applying for another. We need a “US license” to practice medicine.

Unfortunately couldn't pay me enough to deal with worse winter, can you relocate to warmer regions? :)

Well, these days I would RUN not walk to get this job. It's a gem/golden ticket to an early retirement and very nice vacation homes. Don't get me wrong the winters in Minneapolis are brutal and long, 7 months long to be exact. But, that job posted is so lucrative that I would recommend it over any position currently available in Florida. After 15 years in Minneapolis you can write your own ticket and buy a waterfront home in the Southeast.

Well, these days I would RUN not walk to get this job. It's a gem/golden ticket to an early retirement and very nice vacation homes. Don't get me wrong the winters in Minneapolis are brutal and long, 7 months long to be exact. But, that job posted is so lucrative that I would recommend it over any position currently available in Florida. After 15 years in Minneapolis you can write your own ticket and buy a waterfront home in the Southeast.
My cheap ass would need less than 15. Probably half that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually messing around on Redfin. Minneapolis isn’t actually the cheapest place on Earth. I was actually surprised given the climate but then again it is a major city with a major airport hub. The again I don’t know the “value”neighborhood vs the neighborhoods where Jimmy Jam is my neighbor

I was actually messing around on Redfin. Minneapolis isn’t actually the cheapest place on Earth. I was actually surprised given the climate but then again it is a major city with a major airport hub. The again I don’t know the “value”neighborhood vs the neighborhoods where Jimmy Jam is my neighbor
Their state income tax is not cheap either. Almost 10% if I recall correctly. However they are a liberal climate with lots of transplants from the Motherland. I have family there but have only ever ventured there in the summer.

This job should sound great to single people. If I were one, and didn't hate OB with a vengeance, I would definitely like to find out more.

Reactions: 1 users
Blade I tried to DM you regarding your insight into this position but it looks like you don’t allow it. Any info would be appreciated.

Blade I tried to DM you regarding your insight into this position but it looks like you don’t allow it. Any info would be appreciated.

Why not just respond to Lurch or to the email address listed in the OP and get actual info on the job from the horse's mouth?

Why not just respond to Lurch or to the email address listed in the OP and get actual info on the job from the horse's mouth?
I was wondering the same thing. Makes no sense to rely on secondhand info when you don’t have to.

Nothing wrong with trying to get some unbiased 3rd party opinion. Of course the guy advertising the job is gonna tell you it’s the best gig since sliced bread.

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds to me more like an established PP group got the contract for a new hospital (took it back from an AMC). So in essence it’s not a newly formed PP but rather a very rapid expansion of an already successful group.

Asking as a student interested in anesthesiology, how plausible is it to start your own group assuming you are able to gather all the resources required, hire the right people, etc.? (Not that this is an easy task)

Sounds to me more like an established PP group got the contract for a new hospital (took it back from an AMC). So in essence it’s not a newly formed PP but rather a very rapid expansion of an already successful group.

Some required reading here - kicking out a Mednax group which was pretty toxic. Hopefully this new group isn’t as bad as Scope in Charlotte, which by all reports hasn’t exactly been a smooth transition.

Not trying to be negative, but being so glowing and calling something a “95% job” that won’t even exist until next July is a big leap of faith. Who know how many docs they will recruit, and wha the structure will be. I am sure the hospital isn’t throwing excessive money at them, otherwise why would they have gone with Mednax to start (to save $$$)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with trying to get some unbiased 3rd party opinion. Of course the guy advertising the job is gonna tell you it’s the best gig since sliced bread.
Well I know about the job cuz I have discussed it w @B-Bone in the past. It’s a legit job with great money. Just looked up his posts he may have talked about it. Only two problems I have w it are 100% supervision if I remember correctly and the location.
However, the third party may not have all the details that an actual partner would have.

Last edited:
Just so there's no confusion, the job the OP is talking about is not at my practice. I've been getting some PMs, etc, and just wanted to clear the air.

Asking as a student interested in anesthesiology, how plausible is it to start your own group assuming you are able to gather all the resources required, hire the right people, etc.? (Not that this is an easy task)

Nearly impossible. Building a practice and management aren’t exactly skills taught in residency, and just about every hospital will either have their own employees or have definite contracts with groups (management companies, private practices). I suppose you could try to bid and snag an expiring contract... but you’d be a tough sell with no independent practice experience. Plus these things typically happen many months/a year+ in advance (like this situation in Minneapolis). And how would you negotiate rates with insurance companies, do your overhead, MD only or ACT... lots of other considerations.

The other way to do it is to start a group and somehow convince surgery offices / freestanding surgery centers / endoscopy centers/ optho clinics / etc to take a chance on you or somehow open one yourself.

In 2019, it’s just not reasonable for nearly any MD to “hang a shingle” and hasn’t been for many years with the corporatization of medicine. Wish I had a more positive answer to this!

Nearly impossible. Building a practice and management aren’t exactly skills taught in residency, and just about every hospital will either have their own employees or have definite contracts with groups (management companies, private practices). I suppose you could try to bid and snag an expiring contract... but you’d be a tough sell with no independent practice experience. Plus these things typically happen many months/a year+ in advance (like this situation in Minneapolis). And how would you negotiate rates with insurance companies, do your overhead, MD only or ACT... lots of other considerations.

The other way to do it is to start a group and somehow convince surgery offices / freestanding surgery centers / endoscopy centers/ optho clinics / etc to take a chance on you or somehow open one yourself.

In 2019, it’s just not reasonable for nearly any MD to “hang a shingle” and hasn’t been for many years with the corporatization of medicine. Wish I had a more positive answer to this!

A recent notable example as mentioned above is Tom Wherry/Scope Anesthesia in Charlotte. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Very good question. @Lurch , can you explain this? What are the origins of your group?

There is definitely some misinformation starting to show up on this thread and I’m not sure a public forum is the best place to expound on every detail of the situation in Minneapolis. I hope you all can appreciate that. I encourage any serious applicants to email the address listed. I am more than happy to talk to you about the job. There has been a lot of interest in the position to date and rightfully so; it is a good job.

I would rather not get into a pissing match about why we are doing a partnership track. We thought a partnership structure would have the most appeal to strong applicants and that is certainly the feedback we have received. Some later posts in this thread do a good job of explaining the work and inherent risk that goes into these deals for the parent group. I’ll leave it at that.

A recent notable example as mentioned above is Tom Wherry/Scope Anesthesia in Charlotte. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

I thought scope had some money probably from the hospital?

As to start up your own practice. You can started with a few guys, started to hire CRNAs to build a base hospital. Then as you expand, you can fill holes with locum physicians and/or cRNas. You need to have a somewhat distressed hospital and/or practice for you able to “fill in”.

But as pointed out already, you need time, some money saved up and good business plan/sense (if you need to borrow money). As a new grad it is almost impossible to have any, let alone all three, of those basic requirements.

Just so there's no confusion, the job the OP is talking about is not at my practice. I've been getting some PMs, etc, and just wanted to clear the air.
My apologies for assuming.
You said in one thread that you and the OP share a call room. In the Melatonin thread. So I guess you have no exclusive contracts where you two are sharing the call room?

And have certain groups working with certain certain surgeons in the same hospital.

My apologies for assuming.
You said in one thread that you and the OP share a call room. In the Melatonin thread. So I guess you have no exclusive contracts where you two are sharing the call room?

And have certain groups working with certain certain surgeons in the same hospital.

We are partners in the same group. Our group is starting a new venture at a new hospital as a new corporation. Trying to build a group just like ours, but it is distinct from our current group. My group has the exclusive contract for our three hospitals, and the new group has the exclusive contract for the hospital in the ad (starting next summer). Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We are partners in the same group. Our group is starting a new venture at a new hospital as a new corporation. Trying to build a group just like ours, but it is distinct from our current group. My group has the exclusive contract for our three hospitals, and the new group has the exclusive contract for the hospital in the ad (starting next summer). Sorry for the confusion.

Why not just add onto your current group?

Explanation is murky as mud, but hey go for it.

Why not just add onto your current group?

Explanation is murky as mud, but hey go for it.

New hospital is geographically remote from the rest of our practice, like outside home-call range for most of our current docs. We're building a new group and hiring people to work there exclusively and live more in that area. Main goal was to get Mednax out of our market. We're not trying to become a new AMC with a bunch of satellite locations.

Reactions: 7 users
New hospital is geographically remote from the rest of our practice, like outside home-call range for most of our current docs. We're building a new group and hiring people to work there exclusively and live more in that area. Main goal was to get Mednax out of our market. We're not trying to become a new AMC with a bunch of satellite locations.
Is the pay structure and or insurance reimbursement similar? Same? Lower?

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. My skinny butt wouldn't last a year. I barely handled two years in southern PA area. That place is much warmer than Minneapolis.
I just looked up the average temp in Minneapolis. Its fairly tropical there lol

Well we got 150 days straight of 1 inch of snow or more on the ground this last winter. -30 for most of January. Lovely skiing!!

So just an update on this post. It's been 2 months since we started recruiting. We've signed 15 of our available positions with 8 offers still outstanding and 10 more interviews scheduled between now and mid October. We have had interest from east and west coasts, academic/private practice/amc employees, new grad and experienced docs alike. It's a really exciting time as we continue to build what we consider a high quality group for a very appealing job. If you had initial doubt, consider this your time to reconsider. PM for details.

Last edited: