New PD for Duke Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chishik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker here.

Just heard from Duke that the wonderful Dr. Grace Thrall will be stepping down as PD. Dr. Jane Gagliardi will be her replacement. This is very sad as Dr. Thrall is a huge factor in my ROL decision.

Can any current/past residents or applicants from this interview season comment on what Dr. Gagliardi is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, long time lurker here.

Just heard from Duke that the wonderful Dr. Grace Thrall will be stepping down as PD. Dr. Jane Gagliardi will be her replacement. This is very sad as Dr. Thrall is a huge factor in my ROL decision.

Can any current/past residents or applicants from this interview season comment on what Dr. Gagliardi is like?

She is fantastic. Gagliardi is a Duke med/psych alum. She's been an associate PD for some time now and has also been serving as the IM clerkship director, so continuity of leadership will not be an issue. She probably trained more than half of the current med/psych faculty, including the current med/psych PD (Rivelli).

In my personal experience I would also add that she is very dedicated to resident and medical student teaching.

Outstanding choice for a Grace Thrall replacement.

She is fantastic. Gagliardi is a Duke med/psych alum. She's been an associate PD for some time now and has also been serving as the IM clerkship director, so continuity of leadership will not be an issue. She probably trained more than half of the current med/psych faculty, including the current med/psych PD (Rivelli).

In my personal experience I would also add that she is very dedicated to resident and medical student teaching.

Outstanding choice for a Grace Thrall replacement.

That is certainly good to hear. Is Dr. Thrall staying on as faculty for the foreseeable future and how involved will she still be with the residency?

That's too bad, Grace Thrall was one of my favorite PDs from the interview trail. It's good they have a solid replacement lined up.

From what I have heard Thrall is leaving Duke this spring. Gagliardi will be the interim PD until they find someone to permanently fill the slot.

Dr. Thrall leaving is a huge loss of someone who loved her job and was known and revered nationally. My advice is: do your homework and remember that you go from a position of some power of choice to one of very little power after signing an internship contract. Talk to current residents and attendings about leadership styles of the administration, mandates for cutting education funding, etc. This advice applies to all programs.

Jane Gagliardi is an outstanding educator who's been their associate director for the past couple of years, so the program is stable and in really good hands. I wouldn't worry. Plus, the program has a large and robust group of teaching faculty who are very committed to residency education. I was particularly impressed that they had the courage to announce this before the match, rather than afterwards. I've heard about programs that announce transitions right after the match.

Dr. Thrall leaving is a huge loss of someone who loved her job and was known and revered nationally. My advice is: do your homework and remember that you go from a position of some power of choice to one of very little power after signing an internship contract. Talk to current residents and attendings about leadership styles of the administration, mandates for cutting education funding, etc. This advice applies to all programs.

Jane Gagliardi is an outstanding educator who’s been their associate director for the past couple of years, so the program is stable and in really good hands. I wouldn’t worry. Plus, the program has a large and robust group of teaching faculty who are very committed to residency education. I was particularly impressed that they had the courage to announce this before the match, rather than afterwards. I’ve heard about programs that announce transitions right after the match.

Why are two new members with no prior SDN posting histories suddenly duking it out over Duke? If you're a Dukie, just identify yourself already.