Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

New PDAs... to buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by PhillyGirl, Jun 8, 2001.

1. PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl Member

So, here's the question. Does anyone out there have experience with the new Sony Clie or the new Palm 500 series? I was out shopping yesterday for one (my work gives me a 50% reimbursement if I buy it before I leave, so it's worth it) and it seems like the new Palm 500 series is better than the Visors. They're less bulky, have the same memory and expandability, and seem like a good deal. The new Sony Clie is pretty cool, too, but seems like it's designed more for the people who need high tech entertainment, with it's MP3 and graphics.

Any opinions from current owners? I am also looking to be able to link it up to my cell phone (instead of it's own modem and monthly plan) to use talk minutes instead of online minutes. I don't think the accessories are available to do this yet for either model, but I a may be wrong.

I know that there are lots of posts on here about PDAs, but it's my understanding that the Sony one just came out and I don't see it mentioned in any other posts. Any info would help !! :)

Michelle

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Hi there!

I have a brand new Palm m500, and am very happy with it. Just downloaded the free Merck, epocrates drug and infectious disease prorams, and medcalc. I also deleted my games, so as far as total available memory, YMMV.... I like that the expansion cards will run programs from them rather than transferring it to local memory when you use it. I'm quite pleased.

I looked only somewhat at the visors, as they run an earlier version of the palm OS, and it's likely that I'll not have to upgrade my OS as soon as many folks who get 3.x. I have no experience with the Sony machines. Since you're getting this early in the game, getting something speedy and high-end makes sense, because it will seem obsolete sooner than we'd like, and you'll likely get a bit more mileage this way.

Since I don't have a cell yet, I'm not sure about those capabilities, but I think the palm website should have at least some of the info you'd need ( http://www.palm.com ).

4. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member

Email me your questions - I know all there is to know.

5. swdave

swdave Senior Member

I'm currently el IT guru where I work and I've had MUCHO experience with the PocketPC side of the PDA's

In my opinion, the only tempting palms to me would be the Handera 330 (the company was formerly TRGpro) and the Clie.

My big question at the moment is do I buy an Ipaq to replace my STOLEN Casio pda or buy the handera 330.

In my opinion, the functionality advancements that Handera has outweights the "coolness" factor of the Clie.

I just can't decide between the ipaq/handera er, didn't just say that!?

Loosing sleep,

Dave

PS That 50% deal is VERY cool. I wish that was available to me...

6. LSU grad

LSU grad Junior Member

swdave,

I will be going to AZCOM in August (hope you will be too!) and I am trying to find out what software will be useful for MS1/2 students. I just got a Casio J-125 and LOVE it. Any advice?

Wow, sorry yours was ripped off. I try to be ridiculously careful with mine just for that reason.

7. swdave

swdave Senior Member

8. drnick

drnick Junior Member

Hey folks--If you want a machine with muscle, go with the iPAQ. I have 13 of the books from handheldmed.com on my device without the storage card and it runs like a top.(Harrison's, Taber's med dictionary, the Merck Manual, 5mcc, PDR, etc...) E-mail me if you have questions.

9. akemi

akemi Junior Member

I heard from someone that the Handspring was better than the Palm - is that true (or is it the same thing)? I was thinking about getting the Palm m505, but am so unsure about what is good or not? Please help!

Also, Boston Girl (above) has a question on:

[Any opinions from current owners? I am also looking to be able to link it up to my cell phone (instead of it's own modem and monthly plan) to use talk minutes instead of online minutes. I don't think the accessories are available to do this yet for either model, but I a may be wrong.]

Does anyone know anything about this and which models support this-if any?

Thanks! :confused:

10. vtach

vtach Zzzzzz...

Resident [Any Field]
    Well I guess I would have to say that I would go with the new Handera 330. It does a lot more than either of the new palms and is only $329 if you buy it through Sam's Club. Works on the Palm III formfactor and slots for both Compactflash and Secure Digital cards. If you are thinking about using and of the new software like 5 minute medical consult you will need to beable to have the extended memory.

Check it out!

www.handera.com

11. Gauravvv

Does anyone think that a palm device or organizer would be helpful for a freshman entering college? If so, what model do you recommend?