New Peaked Interest in Dental-What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolcefarniente

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on a pre-health track in college and was on the road to becoming an applicant for medical school. I have graduated from undergraduate for over a year and started a fellowship with a federal health agency. My plan was to apply to school right after the fellowship completed. I would say that my experience in my fellowship has definitely shed some light on what I enjoy and dislike in a job and made me strongly reconsider medicine. I felt very confused that I lost confidence in a career I thought I wanted to go into.

As I was cleaning the other day, I stumbled upon a strong interest assessment that I took my senior year in high school. The number one career I would have both strengths in as well as fulfillment was a dentist. I had never thought about a career in dentistry but my interest has greatly peaked. My fellowship has really taught me about the importance of balance and appreciating the time that we have. I know that with a majority of specialties in medicine your work becomes your life (it's easy to be a young college student and enthusiastically say I can work 60+ hours a week, no problem!). However after reading on the forum, I have noticed a theme in people's responses on job satisfaction that dentistry seems to provide a more balanced and fulfilled life inside and outside of your career.

I have looked into dental school, and it seems that I have taken all of the pre-reqs needed for admissions however I feel worried that my experiences are too pre-medical for dental school. Any tips on extracurricular or in general to a late-bloomer in pre-dental?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow a dentist first to see if this is what you really want to pursue. Not only will it shed some light on the profession but it is a requirement for admission that will need to be completed regardless.

Your ECs are likely sufficient, you can talk about your change in mindset in your personal statement.

The next thing to do would be to sign up for, study for, and take the DAT.

Shadow a dentist. That's it.

Assuming you have your community service squared away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on a pre-health track in college and was on the road to becoming an applicant for medical school. I have graduated from undergraduate for over a year and started a fellowship with a federal health agency. My plan was to apply to school right after the fellowship completed. I would say that my experience in my fellowship has definitely shed some light on what I enjoy and dislike in a job and made me strongly reconsider medicine. I felt very confused that I lost confidence in a career I thought I wanted to go into.

As I was cleaning the other day, I stumbled upon a strong interest assessment that I took my senior year in high school. The number one career I would have both strengths in as well as fulfillment was a dentist. I had never thought about a career in dentistry but my interest has greatly peaked. My fellowship has really taught me about the importance of balance and appreciating the time that we have. I know that with a majority of specialties in medicine your work becomes your life (it's easy to be a young college student and enthusiastically say I can work 60+ hours a week, no problem!). However after reading on the forum, I have noticed a theme in people's responses on job satisfaction that dentistry seems to provide a more balanced and fulfilled life inside and outside of your career.

I have looked into dental school, and it seems that I have taken all of the pre-reqs needed for admissions however I feel worried that my experiences are too pre-medical for dental school. Any tips on extracurricular or in general to a late-bloomer in pre-dental?
First things first, you need to go thoroughly shadow a general dentist.

welcome to the dental world! it's a pretty sweet field despite what many ignorant people say about the mythical highest suicide rate.

as previously commented numerous times, shadow a general dentist, and personally, I googled for the best dentist in town with great reviews. I called & asked if they offered shadowing opportunity. Some will say yes. Some will say no. Some won't even respond to you, but it really varies. In some way, it's a reflection of how different dentistry can be even within general practice. There are also some free dental clinics that have volunteer opportunities. Look into those. I would also advise you to keep talking to pre-dental students and absorb/learn more. I'd love to give you more insight about the dental field. I am going to interviews right now.

I wouldn't discredit your previous medical experiences because they are still valuable skills that have prepared you for the healthcare world. Perhaps also work on your manual handskills. Some schools ask while some don't.

Hope that helped!

Reactions: 1 user