New Pharmacist Salaries - Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is certainly beginning to contract. Every COP I have talked to is down around 15%. Some schools are going full force and not fearing any consequences for low standards. They are paying to fit students into rotations and residency for PR and know that ACPE cannot do much. International students has become a hot commodity.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard COP 2020 was getting offered 52$ an hour and COP 2021 was going to get offered 47$ at happy healthy.

Sounds right. Many have reported getting around $50/hr earlier this year. $40/hr is just a few years away.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools don't care about low standards and chains won't either.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if all of these are also 32 hours/week instead of 40 hours/week....seems that 32 is the new standard now....

What a decade for pharmacy!!

In 2009, 57/hour base salary for 40 hours per week of 118,560. However it was so easy to get 1-2 extra shifts as needed to make it 50 hours/week or 148,200 for anyone who wanted to make it so.

I put 148,200 in an inflation calculator. That number would be 177,376 in 2018!!!!

A new graduate instead of making 177,376 (50 hours/week) or 141900 (40 hours/week) is going to be making 47$/hr (32 hours/week) or 78,208 in most places.

Hate to even think what the next decade brings.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if all of these are also 32 hours/week instead of 40 hours/week....seems that 32 is the new standard now....

What a decade for pharmacy!!

In 2009, 57/hour base salary for 40 hours per week of 118,560. However it was so easy to get 1-2 extra shifts as needed to make it 50 hours/week or 148,200 for anyone who wanted to make it so.

I put 148,200 in an inflation calculator. That number would be 177,376 in 2018!!!!

A new graduate instead of making 177,376 (50 hours/week) or 141900 (40 hours/week) is going to be making 47$/hr (32 hours/week) or 78,208 in most places.

Hate to even think what the next decade brings.

Also in 2009: lower student loan debt, multiple job offers in desirable areas, some places still had sign on bonuses and tuition reimbursement. Unemployed pharmDs were unheard of. Way more tech hours, pharmacist overlap and higher quality of life.

In 2019 you have to beg for 78k/year retail hell job in the ghetto.

And it's really funny...it would be one thing if being a pharmacist were fun, prestigious, or even remotely satisfying. But it's NONE of those. I can't fathom why anyone would waste all those years and $$$ on an education for no possible gain. There is no longer any possible reward waiting at the end. I can't understand why anyone would do it. It boggles my mind every time I look in the pre-pharm forums. I just don't get it.

Reactions: 6 users
And it's really funny...it would be one thing if being a pharmacist were fun, prestigious, or even remotely satisfying. But it's NONE of those. I can't fathom why anyone would waste all those years and $$$ on an education for no possible gain. There is no longer any possible reward waiting at the end. I can't understand why anyone would do it. It boggles my mind every time I look in the pre-pharm forums. I just don't get it.

They think they have an easy breezy lemon squeezy 120k “healthcare professional” job waiting at the end of it. Thats why.

Yup they still think they'll get $120,000 and think the job market will "correct itself" by the time they graduate.

Inflation and right-sizing for 'established' pharmacists, lower starting wages for the newbs.

That's the correction

Only people with valued skills or beneficiaries of union clout might come out relatively unscathed. And this is not considering long-term terminal trends in the global economy

where are they getting these numbers from.....? lol

Yeah, this article makes no sense. Pharmacists get paid more in chains than in hospitals (at least in probably 49 of the 50 states), but the article says reverse. And what is a "food and beverage store" that employs pharmacists, category separate from "general merchandise stores" and "retail pharmacies and drug stores." Maybe it's California throwing off all the statistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need solid data from an unbiased source. The Pharmacy Manpower Project (controlled by AACP) says they are revising their methodology.The cynic in me says they did not want to report plunging supply supply and demand data.
It should not be hard to get data from each state board. They license pharmacists and pharmacies. It isn't perfect from a demand side but it is perfect from the supply side. Why can't the Apha get off their ass and get some data from the state boards.

I know in VA the BOP asks a ton of questions about employment and publishes it. AACP is trying to come up with a method to make the data look good but it is in vain. Until they get off their behinds and address the elephant in the room everyone can expect the same things that are happening.

Just wondering, How many of you have state BOP employment questions annually?

They think they have an easy breezy lemon squeezy 120k “healthcare professional” job waiting at the end of it. Thats why.
Then the joke's on them, I guess... :) X.

Assuming a 2 week vacation that's $92k/year. Ouch.

Options for extra shifts. I’m not complaining at all. “Only 92k a year minimum, boo hoo!” Lol. I’m ecstatic. That rate is quite a bit higher than anywhere else in my area where I’m hearing 50-56. Ouch? Lol. Have fun feeling bad for me because I certainly don’t. Complaining about 59/hr is laughable. Only on SDN.. some chains in the area weren’t offering 59 to new grads even several years ago.

Options for extra shifts. I’m not complaining at all. “Only 92k a year minimum, boo hoo!” Lol. I’m ecstatic. That rate is quite a bit higher than anywhere else in my area where I’m hearing 50-56. Ouch? Lol. Have fun feeling bad for me because I certainly don’t.

You have a good rate, although I don't know what the COL is there. Only thing that would be concerning is if you had a large amount of debt from school. Good for you for grabbing a job after graduation though.

You have a good rate, although I don't know what the COL is there. Only thing that would be concerning is if you had a large amount of debt from school. Good for you for grabbing a job after graduation though.

Thanks! I was expecting something around 52-54 maximum so my expectations have been surpassed. They say the eventual goal is to be moved into a full time staff spot. And in that particular area, a 1 bedroom apartment is around 800-1000 per month and a 2 bedroom around 1200. Gas is $2.50. I have around 200k of loans to pay.

Last edited:
Options for extra shifts. I’m not complaining at all. “Only 92k a year minimum, boo hoo!” Lol. I’m ecstatic. That rate is quite a bit higher than anywhere else in my area where I’m hearing 50-56. Ouch? Lol. Have fun feeling bad for me because I certainly don’t. Complaining about 59/hr is laughable. Only on SDN.. some chains in the area weren’t offering 59 to new grads even several years ago.
Obviously that's better than the $70-80k other new grads are making, or the $50k salary I am projecting for retail pharmacists in the next 5-10 years, but that is hardly "six figure salary" to be proud of. Says a lot about how quickly standards in the profession have fallen. You do realize that if you're the winner of the Hunger Games you're still the loser, right?

I would understand people's reasons for privacy as northeast US is intentionally vague and could cover New England + PA + NY

of 21523180, member: 965411"]
Obviously that's better than the $70-80k other new grads are making, or the $50k salary I am projecting for retail pharmacists in the next 5-10 years, but that is hardly "six figure salary" to be proud of. Says a lot about how quickly standards in the profession have fallen. You do realize that if you're the winner of the Hunger Games you're still the loser, right?
[/QUOTE]

Lol. I’m proud as can be. If I can get an extra shift here and there it would be above 100k. With plans to move to Staff eventually it would be 122k unless they drop my pay. If extra shifts are available often then I should have no problem working 40 hours or even 50 on some weeks. Even if I can’t get any extra shifts, I’m still happy as a clam.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol. I’m proud as can be. If I can get an extra shift here and there it would be above 100k. With plans to move to Staff eventually it would be 122k unless they drop my pay. If extra shifts are available often then I should have no problem working 40 hours or even 50 on some weeks. Even if I can’t get any extra shifts, I’m still happy as a clam.
Don't get me wrong, I am not attacking you or your situation. The bigger issue you need to worry about though is whether Rite Aid is going to go bankrupt or be bought out by another chain (which isn't going to be an issue if you were a CVS pharmacist, for example). Their business has been struggling, stocks have been dropping and their PBM EnvisionRx is just a distraction so far that hasn't yielded any returns. I think the bubble for the company will burst soon.

Don't get me wrong, I am not attacking you or your situation. The bigger issue you need to worry about though is whether Rite Aid is going to go bankrupt or be bought out by another chain (which isn't going to be an issue if you were a CVS pharmacist, for example). Their business has been struggling, stocks have been dropping and their PBM EnvisionRx is just a distraction so far that hasn't yielded any returns. I think the bubble for the company will burst soon.

Well I know they got a new CEO in September and are planning store remodels. The DM and the recruiter seemed to think it’s an exciting time for the company and were pitching a successful future with the new CEO (obviously they would). Anything could happen so we will see.

Well I know they got a new CEO in September and are planning store remodels. The DM and the recruiter seemed to think it’s an exciting time for the company and were pitching a successful future with the new CEO (obviously they would). Anything could happen so we will see.
I've listened to some of their quarterly earnings calls in 2019 and it's not looking good lol. You have to sell investors on results, not just a vision of the future with no substance to back it up. But we'll see I guess. The healthcare industry is changing so quick these days.

Isn't RA stock up double its value in past 30 days?

Rite Aid, $59/hr floating. 30 hour/week base. Northeast US.

Congrats, that's a high rate - higher than what many make now. I personally prefer to work less than 40 hours per week once my student loans were paid off.

But look at where it was 5 years ago.

I haven't checked in a few months but through the majority of last year their stock was dropping, to the point where they had to do a reverse stock split because it was in danger of not being valuable enough to be listed on the stock market.

I haven't checked in a few months but through the majority of last year their stock was dropping, to the point where they had to do a reverse stock split because it was in danger of not being valuable enough to be listed on the stock market.

The recruiter on the phone mentioned the stock going up from 2 dollars to 21 over 3 months?

Received another offer today! Walgreens, $54.80/hr floating. 32 hour base. Northeast US. I’m going to go for this one instead of Rite Aid @ $59/hr and 30 base. The location is much better which is the primary reason I’m going with the Walgreens offer.

The recruiter on the phone mentioned the stock going up from 2 dollars to 21 over 3 months?
I just looked and it does look like their stock spiked in the last few months but has dropped to about $13 now. However, back in March-April their stock was trading at around $0.70 per share before they did a 1 for 20 reverse split, so if you compared the net value of their stock after the split ($14) to today's value ($13) it is still trending unfavorably for the company.

$59/HR Albertsons in rural Southern Oregon, 32 hrs a week. Job offer stated an increase after a year of employment. I accepted.

Wow so glad to see some 59/hr offers still going out this year.....

I have been searching online for how much the big pharma retailers are offering these days (2019) since it appears that rates are significantly different from last year. I have heard of new floaters and staff receiving $50/hr or less <32hr per week in Walgreens. I hear new PICs (Rx Manager) are being offered $55-60/hr for 32/42hr weeks in CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Is this true? Can you share what you know about the new rates for new pharmacists in your area? Thank you.
I graduated pharmacy school 2016 and now have worked in a long term care Independent company for 2 years. Starting pay was 99k with 2 weeks vacay and 6 observed holidays. We are to get an on call phone (annoying as hell) every 9 weeks or so for the week. No compensation. Rotating weekend once every 2 months. Barely any raise. I think I’m at 101 now after 2 years? And they know the market is saturated so if you leave, don’t let the door hit you. Pharmacy is a scam and they got us all hanging from a tree. 4 years or a doctorate program to not even do anything a prescriber can. We never got provider status. We still see new schools opening. And metrics are only increasing. I know friends of mine that crack 120k no student loans, aside from undergrad, work 4 days a week. Fridays work from home. And those 4 days their bs ing half of it. I feel like I’ve Been bamboozled cuz this ish ain’t even that fulfilling don’t even lie to yourself. U just a cow in the field listening to prescribers

Reactions: 5 users
118k staffing at a hospital in a midsized city in VA. 40 hours a week

Rural Southeastern U.S.; Chain; 40 hour base, $52-$53/hour (New Grad)

I graduated pharmacy school 2016 and now have worked in a long term care Independent company for 2 years. Starting pay was 99k with 2 weeks vacay and 6 observed holidays. We are to get an on call phone (annoying as hell) every 9 weeks or so for the week. No compensation. Rotating weekend once every 2 months. Barely any raise. I think I’m at 101 now after 2 years? And they know the market is saturated so if you leave, don’t let the door hit you. Pharmacy is a scam and they got us all hanging from a tree. 4 years or a doctorate program to not even do anything a prescriber can. We never got provider status. We still see new schools opening. And metrics are only increasing. I know friends of mine that crack 120k no student loans, aside from undergrad, work 4 days a week. Fridays work from home. And those 4 days their bs ing half of it. I feel like I’ve Been bamboozled cuz this ish ain’t even that fulfilling don’t even lie to yourself. U just a cow in the field listening to prescribers

Where do your friends work 4 days a week? "Working from home" sounds awesome.

P4 from Midwest...got job offer last week from retail chain I have interned at for 1.5 years...floater 32 hrs/wk 90k...u can do it

P4 from Midwest...got job offer last week from retail chain I have interned at for 1.5 years...floater 32 hrs/wk 90k...u can do it
That's fairly good. 93k - 97k in 2019 for grad intern positions. So not much a drop.

Dude... it's your fault, and the fault of everyone else who liked this post - for getting into a career you don't like/don't find rewarding. I was able to harness the information from all the cynics on SDN (basically everyone) and come into this field very carefully..but guess what - I'm happy, have been happy, and don't see any glaring reason to start disliking my career. I take pride in it, even when I was an intern/tech. I worked 5000 hours in school and I really enjoyed it. 1200 hours before school as a technician.. Sure, I might like it slightly less over time.. but with 7k+ hours of pharmacy experience and enjoying it more every day, I don't see it happening.

I think if you are unhappy you made the wrong choice to begin with. If you bitch about it, you're setting yourself up to not like it. You decide your own fate and your own feelings. Thanks to SDN I wasn't lied to or bamboozled.. idk how everyone is harboring such bamboozlement. Did someone bang on your door nightly to tell you how awesome pharmacy is? Yeesh

edit: caring about your relationship with prescribers is a waste of time and shouldn't be affecting your life, unless you're focused on being positive and friendly with them.

Last edited:
I feel like if you can’t enjoy a job in LTC, you can’t enjoy a job lol

I was actually looking into trying to get an LTC job here locally, but a nursing home director I know at one facility told me, "Yeah, our pharmacists aren't gonna up give their positions until they either retire or die, whichever happens first."

data point - was just offered a job at a hospital in medium size city in the midwest for $67 an hour,

Last edited:
Dude... it's your fault, and the fault of everyone else who liked this post - for getting into a career you don't like/don't find rewarding. I was able to harness the information from all the cynics on SDN (basically everyone) and come into this field very carefully..but guess what - I'm happy, have been happy, and don't see any glaring reason to start disliking my career. I take pride in it, even when I was an intern/tech. I worked 5000 hours in school and I really enjoyed it. 1200 hours before school as a technician.. Sure, I might like it slightly less over time.. but with 7k+ hours of pharmacy experience and enjoying it more every day, I don't see it happening.

I think if you are unhappy you made the wrong choice to begin with. If you bitch about it, you're setting yourself up to not like it. You decide your own fate and your own feelings. Thanks to SDN I wasn't lied to or bamboozled.. idk how everyone is harboring such bamboozlement. Did someone bang on your door nightly to tell you how awesome pharmacy is? Yeesh

edit: caring about your relationship with prescribers is a waste of time and shouldn't be affecting your life, unless you're focused on being positive and friendly with them.
I second this. Save up money and pivot into something else