New Phone for Medical School: iPhone or Blackberry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New Phone for Medical School: iPhone or Blackberry?

• Total voters

MansionMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys recommend iPhone or Blackberry? What do most medical students/residents use?

EDIT: Sorry, I neglected to create an "Other" option. If you recommend something else, just post it in a reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am VERY surprised the Nexus ONE isnt one of the options

I'm getting a new phone once I start and its really between the Iphone or the Nexus1... blackberry. eeew

a lot of the med schools are beginning to require the iphone or the itouch. Georgetown already does it and I know a few others do to. Plus the iPhone is AMAZING. seriously. get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know quite a few MD and pharmacy residents who ALL use the iPhone. Has a TON of medical-related apps and you have everything you could ever need on one device. I was hesitant to jump on the Apple bandwagon and was a hardcore Blackberry user, but I have since seen the light and changed my ways.

Hopefully Nexus One will have some good medical apps too... Really don't want to jump on the Apple bandwagon!

Of course, Blackberry is by far the best phone still.

Of course, you could get both? lol. One MD friend uses a Blackberry for everyday and his iPhone at the hospital.

I refuse to switch to AT&T, so I have a blackberry and got a free itouch when I bought my new macbook pro. As an MSI, I haven't used anything medically related in terms of applications (any app that you can get on the iphone, you could get on the itouch, so that's what I would do if I needed any of them). The only thing I use the itouch for for school is a flashcard program for studying (iFlash). To be fair, I really don't use either piece of equipment (blackberry or itouch) for school per se - as someone else has eluded to you don't need it until MS3. If the iphone is ever available to get through verizon, I'll get it then, but for now I'll stick with the blackberry (which seems to work just as well from what I can tell).

I refuse to switch to AT&T, so I have a blackberry and got a free itouch when I bought my new macbook pro. As an MSI, I haven't used anything medically related in terms of applications (any app that you can get on the iphone, you could get on the itouch, so that's what I would do if I needed any of them). The only thing I use the itouch for for school is a flashcard program for studying (iFlash). To be fair, I really don't use either piece of equipment (blackberry or itouch) for school per se - as someone else has eluded to you don't need it until MS3. If the iphone is ever available to get through verizon, I'll get it then, but for now I'll stick with the blackberry (which seems to work just as well from what I can tell).

I want to buy a new macbook pro as well, but how did you get a free itouch. All I see is the 100 dollars off discount as a student? I want my free itouch! :D

I want to buy a new macbook pro as well, but how did you get a free itouch. All I see is the 100 dollars off discount as a student? I want my free itouch! :D

Every august they have 100$ off every thing + give you a ipod touch, + a 100 buck discount on a printer. So more or less your deal is pretty damn amazing.

I got a droid a few weeks ago and its the best phone ive ever used. Hands down I like it way more than the iPhone. But if only btwn bb and iPhone....iPhone wins

Every august they have 100$ off every thing + give you a ipod touch, + a 100 buck discount on a printer. So more or less your deal is pretty damn amazing.

Aw man, I have to wait till August. Well thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I rock this bish right here

SamsungU340.jpg

I love my iPhone to death. But I haven't tried out a blackberry, so my opinion is useless to you. :hungover:

Depends on what you want to use it for.

I <3 my BlackBerry, but I only use it for e-mail, phone calls, calendar, GPS, and a little internet radio. Verizon has WAY better service/coverage and it really is an excellent cell phone.

Get an iPhone if you want lots of games/apps and if you can get decent service in your area. I can't speak to the actual phone usage part, as most of my friends who own them pretty much just use the apps and complain about AT&T

How do you guys have the money for the monthly fees? I'm sure some of you have "family money", but remember those loans are not free money....

Most of my classmates have an iPhone or a BB. You really don't need either one for school, at least where I'm at. Plus, if you buy one now, by the time you might actually put it to good use it will be old and obsolete. I'd wait till you actually need it.

How do you guys have the money for the monthly fees? I'm sure some of you have "family money", but remember those loans are not free money....

Most of my classmates have an iPhone or a BB. You really don't need either one for school, at least where I'm at. Plus, if you buy one now, by the time you might actually put it to good use it will be old and obsolete. I'd wait till you actually need it.
Solve all of these problems by purchasing an unlocked Nexus One for $529. Sure, the upfront cost is 2X more than the iPhone or BB. But in the long run, you will be saving hundreds by using a Boost Mobile prepaid plan. My friend says the coverage (runs on Sprint network) is quite reliable and pricing is unbeatable. Best part about Android is the free updates every few months. Did I mention Flash support?

As for me, I am holding out. I upgraded to a Nokia 6300 bar phone two years ago and waiting a few more months until Nexus Two comes out of the oven. I will be doing everything as mentioned above so I won't have to worry about getting locked into a contract with hefty monthly bills once med school starts.

Nokia N900. Look it up.

Seriously best phone ever.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emvUBpEkbU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I voted for Blackberry, although I've never had personal experience with either choice. I hate touch screen, I text a lot and I need a keyboard thing with actual keys, I heard AT&T sucks, I check my email obsessively. To me, a Blackberry just looks professional and sexy. <= very important

There's a rumor floating around that AT&T may lose exclusivity to the iphone in the upcoming months. It may be worth waiting for a bit if you're planning on getting one soon.

chiz2kul about the Nokia N900.

"Seriously best phone ever".

How much did you pay for it ? if you remember! I could not find the Nokia 900 but I found other ones and they run around $500, is that around how much you paid for it?

lol I don't have one yet, but planning to get one for my bday. Yea its pretty pricy, runs around the 500 range, but you can snag deals here and there.
I hear it worth every penny tho...the 'downside' is that since its a new phone, not lots of apps are out yet for it...

But it has some serious raving reviews online..

I have a job so I can pay for it. When I start school we will be cutting back on some stuff and we will most likely be getting rid of our house phone line. I also have a husband who works, though, so I won't have "loan money" paying for my phone bill.

Get an adroid phone. Better operating system than blackberry and iphone. Plus there's already all the medical apps you could need in the android market.

My contract recently came up, so I recently was having the same debate. I've had a blackberry of one kind or another for the last few years, so I know how to work with those. However, after looking at applications and reading a lot of reviews, I settled on an iphone. iPhones are more popular, so there are more things developed for them (accessories, apps, etc.). I know a number of people who have iphones, and they seem to like them, especially since last years' software upgrade. And, in retrospect, while I never had any "problems" with my blackberries, I have never felt that the interface was especially convenient. The iphone seems much more intuitive.

As for ATT, I know that some people have had issues with them... I've never experienced this myself. My phones have always worked, I rarely have dropped calls, and coverage has been good (I have driven across country 3 times, I should know :p ). Though, if you will be in a rural area for med school, 3G might not work.

what schools actually require an iPhone or a BB? And what are you supposed to do with it? My school IT director specifically told me that you can't run any software with hospital data on them for security/HIPAA reasons. Other than putting Epocrates on them (which you can put also on an iPod touch) what else do you do with them?

Every doctor I've shadowed had an iPhone or Blackberry. The current one likes to take calls while driving and tells me "this is how doctors die" :/

i bet you could get any smartphone and use it at georgetown. My school requires "PCs" and does not support macs; however, about 30% of the class has a mac.

Also, you won't need a smartphone till 3rd year at the earliest.

OSU gives a free itouch, so ill just stick with that

iPhone? Blackberry? Bah! In my days, we used Styrofoam cups and strings! :p

Or a droid. Can't beat the Verizon coverage and the android OS with the all the apps available.

Get an Iphone when it has a different service provider other than AT&T. I'm waiting until it has at least Verizon.

I am going to start med school in August like most of you. Question is: Do I need some sort of smart phone as an M1? Right now I have a Razor from Motorolla.

I am going to start med school in August like most of you. Question is: Do I need some sort of smart phone as an M1? Right now I have a Razor from Motorolla.

By consesus, no. Unless your school requires one (which they would tell you on their website in the accepted students section).;)

i just got a blackberry for med school in August. While I did want the iphone, I just dont want to deal with AT&T.

However, I do want a Mac laptop before going to school in August. I have been using windows all my life, so I wanted to know how much time will it take for me to learn how to use a mac proficiently? are mac's difficult to use?

I also heard you can buy a Mac laptop, and install windows on it? How does that work? Do all the features still work? Thanks.

I had a razor before my blackberry which I recently bought. Change it man... i loved my razor, but its too old now...

i just got a blackberry for med school in August. While I did want the iphone, I just dont want to deal with AT&T.

However, I do want a Mac laptop before going to school in August. I have been using windows all my life, so I wanted to know how much time will it take for me to learn how to use a mac proficiently? are mac's difficult to use?

I also heard you can buy a Mac laptop, and install windows on it? How does that work? Do all the features still work? Thanks.

It won't take very long at all for you to catch up. There are a few things in unfamiliar places, but everything's fairly intuitive.

As for installing windows, here's a handy guide. Everything works just fine, as far as I know, but I don't spend a lot of time on my Windows partition not-playing Fallout.:laugh: You can also run both simultaneously through emulation using either Parallels or VMWare.

It's not hard at all to get used to. What's funny, is going back and trying to use a pc again after getting used to a mac. :p

I use a program called parallels in order to run windows programs. It's worked really well so far (my school is pc oriented so I run several programs with parallels).

It's not hard at all to get used to. What's funny, is going back and trying to use a pc again after getting used to a mac. :p

I use a program called parallels in order to run windows programs. It's worked really well so far (my school is pc oriented so I run several programs with parallels).

I use parallels as well and have had little issues with it. My school's exam software is windoze only so I've taken exams using parallels! The only issue that I've had is that the Mac OS is a little slow after I've booted into windoze ( I joke that it feels betrayed ;) ). I absolutely love my macbook and my iphone. I didn't have a smartphone before my third year in medschool but I'm sure one could make good use of it before then. Having email, calendar, internet, ToDo etc in my pocket has revolutionized my organizational skills. I used a palm Tx for the first two years of medschool and the experience just doesn't compare. I know there are netter's flashcards and some other programs for first year medstudents that look neat. Most of my classmates who have blackberries lust after the iphones, not for medical reasons, for the games lol.

No, you don't. I didn't even own a cellphone of any kind until I was an M-2. All you do all day as an M-1 is crash memorize a bunch of books, a few labs and anatomy lab. No patient contact and no hospital classes. I had a class in a hospital as an M-1 for one course, but it was a highly unusual case and didn't see patients. The soonest I could see anyone benefiting with having a modern cellphone would be when you rotate at hospitals where having access to some medical software could be remotely useful.

I don't own a techy cellphone. You guys would probably laugh at the cellphone I own. To begin it's in black & white and obviously has no camera or anything fancy.

I've never found the need to use a fancy cellphone (I do feel sad that because my phone has no camera I've missed out on taking a few interesting photos of clinical cases I've encountered though). I mostly use my cellphone as a phone, text messaging, clock, alarm clock, calendar, calculator and chronometer. Having a calendar and chronometer came in handy when I rotated OB/GYN and I used the chronometer in peds when I attended newborn babies to give them an APGAR score.

Save the money for something more useful like med books. By the time you're an M-3 that phone will be old fashioned anyways. I however am going to keep on using my 10 year old model.
Um, didn't you go to med school out of the country?

Get an iphone but wait to see if the new one comes out in June or if they wait until Dec.

Same here, I really wanted an iPhone, I've been using blackberry for quite some time now.... but was unwilling to switch from tmobile to ATT. So I got an android instead (motorolla cliq). I too plan on buying a mac before school starts.

EDIT: After discovering that the Android didn't sync e-mail in real time (about a 15 to 30 min delay!), I returned it, switched over and got an iPhone. Already having ATT network reception problems but the iPhone is awesome!

Last edited: