New PM&R pain fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Mxyzptlk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Just an FYI. I was talking to Martin Grabois at the AAPM this weekend. He says Baylor plans to offer a PM&R pain fellowship. The first year will not be ACGME-accredited, but he hopes the next year it will. For those of you in PM&R looking for a pain fellowship this could be a possibility.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Just an FYI. I was talking to Martin Grabois at the AAPM this weekend. He says Baylor plans to offer a PM&R pain fellowship. The first year will not be ACGME-accredited, but he hopes the next year it will. For those of you in PM&R looking for a pain fellowship this could be a possibility.

I'm curious who will be the core trainers? Is it a *NEW* training program per se or a shot-gun marriage of existing programs a la Stanford? Just curious...

Mister Mxyzptlk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just had a brief and casual chat so I have little hard information. It's my impression that this is a new PM&R-based program. I know he has at least one interventional pain doc (Benoy Benny) on the faculty.

Dr. Grabois is a super guy. He has a lot of enthusiasm for the project and I think he would be happy to see widespread interest, so go ahead and contact his office for specific info.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Benny is going to be a great asset to that program. Thanks for reminding me about their program!

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the staff is going to be built around a strong core.

I first met Dr. Grabois at an APS meeting in Chicago. I was a PGY2, had already had a few beers and was in line for appetizers at a swanky Endo sponsored party. Marty was behind me in line and we just struck up a conversation. After 5 minutes of chatting with me I introduced myself and he flipped over his name badge. I remember telling him, "I know you, I've got your book." He repied, " So you are the one..." Unassuming and very personable. I have not had the pleasure of working for or with him.

I met Benny when we were on the RPC. Very much motivated and has a personality. With Windsor and I taking a year or two off from the ACGME accreditation to evaluate, this may be the next big thing in PMR Pain.

(That is until Algos and I can generate enough revenue and pay everybody off so we can start a Pain Residency Training program)....

medicineman1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
you guys are taking a year off or two away from accredidation to evaluate? that blows! what are you evaluating exactly- and what is the projected future at the emory program? thats a bummer

Aether2000

algosdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are organizations that are quietly and slowly pursuing residency....I hope to have more info within a few months...

Doctodd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grabois is a great guy...he helped me out when i was a resident at Baylor. It is always good to have a director stick up for his residents. Im happy to hear that Baylor/UT is starting a pain fellowship. The Brain Injury program gets plenty of money from Allergan and other sponsors for fellows(at least they did a couple of years ago), so there should be even more incentive for Pain since it can be profitable for them.

T

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a current resident wants to get a pain fellowship and a pain residency is developed, what does the resident do? will they be forced to complete another residency? do they allow the fellowships to remain open for a while?