New podiatry school approved - UT Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idk, I guess I’m a city slicker and all but if your population is less than that of Plano, TX, I think that’s pretty remote.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been to the Rio Grande Valley? It’s the literal hot, sweaty crotch of Texas. Cities in Texas are great and all, but the RGV is a god awful place to live with nothing to do but raise a family or get drunk in Mexico if you’re an underage college kid.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who had 0 interest in the Iowa school, because Iowa and middle of nowhere. Same in the RGV but worse and much hotter.

They honestly couldn’t have picked a worse place to open a school. They could’ve at least opened it in San Antonio.
If it gives you a chance to become a doctor and only pay 40-50K in tuition??? You bet your ass anyone who is interested in podiatry is going to apply there. Their entering students stats will be significantly higher than all the other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Damn. You got some cohones. 45k on a crypto lottery. I hope youre right!
I thoroughly enjoy the crypto space more than I do podiatry. It's my hobby. I could honestly sit at home and trade crypto all day and make enough money to support my family. But society would frown upon that. My wife thinks it is a joke.

Crypto is still in the wild west days. There are a lot of scams. But there are innovative ways you can use blockchain to make money in ways you could never imagine. At rates that far exceed the stock market.

Ultimately it will be regulated and accepted. We will all use blockchain in some form in the next 5-10 years. Then it will be used in everyday occurrences. This is like the beginning of the internet.

In total I have made close to 500K in crypto (depending on price of ADA) since I started trading. If ADA does go to $5-10 I will be a multi-millionaire. For me this is a way to get out of podiatry and not have to rely on it to make money to support my family.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not like the idea of opening the RGV school.

Despite above opinion, every pre-pod looking to get into a cheap school, especially in Texas where there are an abundance of pre-somethings wanting to stay instate- the new school will have no problem filling its seats with pre-somethings who have no idea what they are truly signing up for and how supply and demand will dictate their job opportunities 7 years out.

This is not even accounting for the %*&^ show that the residency slot strain will be when they graduate their first class.

I thoroughly enjoy the crypto space more than I do podiatry. It's my hobby. I could honestly sit at home and trade crypto all day and make enough money to support my family. But society would frown upon that. My wife thinks it is a joke.

Crypto is still in the wild west days. There are a lot of scams. But there are innovative ways you can use blockchain to make money in ways you could never imagine. At rates that far exceed the stock market.

Ultimately it will be regulated and accepted. We will all use blockchain in some form in the next 5-10 years. Then it will be used in everyday occurrences. This is like the beginning of the internet.

In total I have made close to 500K in crypto (depending on price of ADA) since I started trading. If ADA does go to $5-10 I will be a multi-millionaire. For me this is a way to get out of podiatry and not have to rely on it to make money to support my family.

are you in the NFT space?

RGV is a horrific move for the profession. There is a noticeable over–supply of DPMs but thank you to the heavens above that wont be a problem of mine. I have extraordinary job security and will not be changing my residency lifestyle which is an absolute joke in terms of monthly expenses. $100K per year routed into BTC before the 2026-2027 post-halving run up and I’m out of Podiatry before I even hit mid 30s. We may sound nuts but I’ll use this post as a time capsule for a future thread.
I hope it pays off for you! Report back in 4-5 years

Healthdrive is c
If it gives you a chance to become a doctor and only pay 40-50K in tuition??? You bet your ass anyone who is interested in podiatry is going to apply there. Their entering students stats will be significantly higher than all the other schools.

If it’s really 50k in tuition, I may get a second DPM degree.

Reactions: 1 users
But seriously. How can I make podiatry NFTS a thing? Ape Feet Club? Anyone know an artist who I can take advantage of? I said artist not podiatry associate

But seriously. How can I make podiatry NFTS a thing? Ape Feet Club? Anyone know an artist who I can take advantage of? I said artist not podiatry associate
1644696055240.png

I'll sell you a nft. asking price is 9 ETH.

Yep, they will be hiring all those who likely didn’t succeed in practice.

Doesn't list.

Nothing out there in terms of geography.
South Padre Island is an hour away. There don't appear to be any mountains in this part of Texas. Reynosa and Matamoros are both listed as unsafe/poor travel destinations based on a cursory internet check. I haven't been to this region in more than a decade, but I did an educational thing in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo forever ago. When I went we crossed the border and saw soldiers with mounted machine guys everywhere. I may be misremembering but the faculty suggested this was a new development. The next year the program shut down its cross-border experience and stayed entirely in the US.

My experience with podiatry schools is that the professors are not surgical studs. That said, props to anyone who can use this degree to generate a six-figure salary, benefits, 401k, insurance etc and more important to separate themself from market dynamics. Podiatry schools raise their tuition every year. Meanwhile out in the real world...

Reactions: 2 users
South Padre Island is an hour away. There don't appear to be any mountains in this part of Texas. Reynosa and Matamoros are both listed as unsafe/poor travel destinations based on a cursory internet check. I haven't been to this region in more than a decade, but I did an educational thing in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo forever ago. When I went we crossed the border and saw soldiers with mounted machine guys everywhere. I may be misremembering but the faculty suggested this was a new development. The next year the program shut down its cross-border experience and stayed entirely in the US.
Was there 6 years ago for a research trip.

Still the same. Nothing out there and border still dangerous.

Whoever wants to be there and already has their degree can carve out something nice out for themselves.
Not for me or wife.

Yep, they will be hiring all those who likely didn’t succeed in practice.
This and people who are tired of clipping toenails. It doesn’t seem like a bad gig to me. I mean, I hear the tacos are amazing.

This and people who are tired of clipping toenails. It doesn’t seem like a bad gig to me. I mean, I hear the tacos are amazing.
Salary would be interesting to know, I saw NYCPM is looking for a full time surgical podiatrist/instructor at around 150k. I would have thought schools pay a lot more than that

Salary would be interesting to know, I saw NYCPM is looking for a full time surgical podiatrist/instructor at around 150k. I would have thought schools pay a lot more than that
The pod schools all pay pretty poorly.
When I was at Barry, the faculty had set a meeting with admins/marketing since the admissions/marketing were advertising the average DPM income online and in handouts to prospective students. It was a simple statistic they probably found and thought would drum up interest in the profession... but it was higher than almost any of the faculty positions made (at least entry level). Barry even has pretty busy school-run clinics, but the faculty can't see a high volume since they have to teach... and most of the payers are mediocre or lower end.

In general, all of the academic docs (residency director, univ hospital, etc) bring only a fraction of what they could in PP. This is the same for MDs. The podiatry residency and fellowship directors who are in PP (not hospital FTE) can do ok since they basically get free PAs via residents/fellows to see more patients and bill more consults. Some abuse that to no end, and others just use it to offset the lost time in residency-related meetings, paperwork, interviews, etc. Many DPMs who are FTE of the teaching or univ hospitals get by since they supplement their income with sponsored research, wound trials/grants, speaker fees for industry, various industry kickbacks, etc.

...I hope the Texas school does well. That's great if the tuition is substantially lower... sure sounds like the COL of the area will be also. It is nice to go to pod school in a fun place, but you can read journals and books for boards and interviews and etc in any reasonable library. Pick wherever it's cheapest or you get the best scholarship. Residency matters a whole lot more than pod school... those can all give you what you need.

Last edited:
Podiatry schools pay about 100-120k per year for faculty positions with good benefits. Not all faculty positions have the opportunity to do clinic. Some faculty members work part time for other podiatrists to supplement their income.

Most faculty members have no business teaching the courses they teach because they are either ancient or they never were successful in practice.

Scholl’s surgery department is taught by someone who repeats the same biomechanics lectures year after year and the chair of surgery doesn’t operate. Go figure that…

Reactions: 3 users