New Poll for Tennis' Satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which do you think?

• The "flagship" state institutions are equivalent to top private schools

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • The very top state insitutions are equivalent to top private schools

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • The top private schools are superior to all state institutions

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
New poll-

Members don't see this ad.

Could you explain your background and/or why you're asking this question?

MAYBE people at the very top institutions (public and private) develop a more nuanced understanding of subjects...and MAYBE they develop superior thinking skills...but honestly, I would say the quality of your education depends entirely on yourself. Through your own curiosity and efforts will come a great deal of understanding. Also, a downfall many people fail to mention about going to top-notch institutions is that you often end up "changing" your plans and opting for an easier major because your original plan was too damn hard. The classic pre-med MolBio major turned art history "Teach for America" example.

funshine said:
Could you explain your background and/or why you're asking this question?

MAYBE people at the very top institutions (public and private) develop a more nuanced understanding of subjects...and MAYBE they develop superior thinking skills...but honestly, I would say the quality of your education depends entirely on yourself. Through your own curiosity and efforts will come a great deal of understanding. Also, a downfall many people fail to mention about going to top-notch institutions is that you often end up "changing" your plans and opting for an easier major because your original plan was too damn hard. The classic pre-med MolBio major turned art history "Teach for America" example.

If you read the thread "need your honest opinion" you'll get a better idea. I think what you said about the quality of your education depending on yourself is where I fall on the issue, but it seems like there are quite a few on SDN who feel differently...

Members don't see this ad :)
mashce said:
If you read the thread "need your honest opinion" you'll get a better idea. I think what you said about the quality of your education depending on yourself is where I fall on the issue, but it seems like there are quite a few on SDN who feel differently...

I see. Well it's true that a top private school (I'm talking top 10) will have infinite resources, famous faculty to teach you, and opportunities you may not get anywhere else...which is WHY they're so highly ranked, but the truth of the matter is that most students don't make enough use of these opps. Conversely, I've known quite a few of my friends who have a burning thirst for knowledge, and though they go to our crappy state TTT, they've done amazing things during college. So, basically I agree with you :)

I think the big difference is that at the top private schools every student will have at least some amazing professors, access to great resources, etc. The education is practically slapping you in the face. At the main public institutions students definitely have the opportunity to get as good an education as anywhere, but they have to seek it out more. Also, honors programs within those institutions can sometimes act like schools unto themselves, and they certainly offer as good an education as is available. But an unmotivated student (or one who just wants the degree, or the degree with a high GPA, but doesn't care about actually learning) at a top private can get a poor education, as well. So in the end it probably depends on the student.

I think there's a bigger difference between the top (Ivy caliber) privates and the small, lesser-known private schools. Some small schools really don't have great access to a variety of courses, or great professors, or great resources. These are realms in which the huge size of some of the state schools really becomes an asset.

tigress said:
The education is practically slapping you in the face. .

Hahaha, I love the way you said that. It's actually a very apt description :laugh:

tigress said:
I think the big difference is that at the top private schools every student will have at least some amazing professors, access to great resources, etc. The education is practically slapping you in the face. At the main public institutions students definitely have the opportunity to get as good an education as anywhere, but they have to seek it out more. Also, honors programs within those institutions can sometimes act like schools unto themselves, and they certainly offer as good an education as is available. But an unmotivated student (or one who just wants the degree, or the degree with a high GPA, but doesn't care about actually learning) at a top private can get a poor education, as well. So in the end it probably depends on the student.

I think there's a bigger difference between the top (Ivy caliber) privates and the small, lesser-known private schools. Some small schools really don't have great access to a variety of courses, or great professors, or great resources. These are realms in which the huge size of some of the state schools really becomes an asset.

I think I agree with all of that:)

The quality of the hospital associated with a school is really important to me, since we will be spending so much time there. I want to be in a hospital that's one of the best in the region, rather than a dinky place that most patients don't actually go to.

Go to the bronx then (a "crappy" state med. school called SUNY downstate is over there)

The OP's talking about undergrad, not med schools.

i'm talking about post above me

top private forever