• The top private schools are superior to all state institutions

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

funshine

at the fateful hour
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
Could you explain your background and/or why you're asking this question?

MAYBE people at the very top institutions (public and private) develop a more nuanced understanding of subjects...and MAYBE they develop superior thinking skills...but honestly, I would say the quality of your education depends entirely on yourself. Through your own curiosity and efforts will come a great deal of understanding. Also, a downfall many people fail to mention about going to top-notch institutions is that you often end up "changing" your plans and opting for an easier major because your original plan was too damn hard. The classic pre-med MolBio major turned art history "Teach for America" example.

OP
S

Saluki

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
funshine said:
Could you explain your background and/or why you're asking this question?

MAYBE people at the very top institutions (public and private) develop a more nuanced understanding of subjects...and MAYBE they develop superior thinking skills...but honestly, I would say the quality of your education depends entirely on yourself. Through your own curiosity and efforts will come a great deal of understanding. Also, a downfall many people fail to mention about going to top-notch institutions is that you often end up "changing" your plans and opting for an easier major because your original plan was too damn hard. The classic pre-med MolBio major turned art history "Teach for America" example.
If you read the thread "need your honest opinion" you'll get a better idea. I think what you said about the quality of your education depending on yourself is where I fall on the issue, but it seems like there are quite a few on SDN who feel differently...

funshine

at the fateful hour
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
mashce said:
If you read the thread "need your honest opinion" you'll get a better idea. I think what you said about the quality of your education depending on yourself is where I fall on the issue, but it seems like there are quite a few on SDN who feel differently...
I see. Well it's true that a top private school (I'm talking top 10) will have infinite resources, famous faculty to teach you, and opportunities you may not get anywhere else...which is WHY they're so highly ranked, but the truth of the matter is that most students don't make enough use of these opps. Conversely, I've known quite a few of my friends who have a burning thirst for knowledge, and though they go to our crappy state TTT, they've done amazing things during college. So, basically I agree with you :)

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the big difference is that at the top private schools every student will have at least some amazing professors, access to great resources, etc. The education is practically slapping you in the face. At the main public institutions students definitely have the opportunity to get as good an education as anywhere, but they have to seek it out more. Also, honors programs within those institutions can sometimes act like schools unto themselves, and they certainly offer as good an education as is available. But an unmotivated student (or one who just wants the degree, or the degree with a high GPA, but doesn't care about actually learning) at a top private can get a poor education, as well. So in the end it probably depends on the student.

I think there's a bigger difference between the top (Ivy caliber) privates and the small, lesser-known private schools. Some small schools really don't have great access to a variety of courses, or great professors, or great resources. These are realms in which the huge size of some of the state schools really becomes an asset.

funshine

at the fateful hour
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
tigress said:
The education is practically slapping you in the face. .
Hahaha, I love the way you said that. It's actually a very apt description :laugh:

OP
S

Saluki

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
tigress said:
I think the big difference is that at the top private schools every student will have at least some amazing professors, access to great resources, etc. The education is practically slapping you in the face. At the main public institutions students definitely have the opportunity to get as good an education as anywhere, but they have to seek it out more. Also, honors programs within those institutions can sometimes act like schools unto themselves, and they certainly offer as good an education as is available. But an unmotivated student (or one who just wants the degree, or the degree with a high GPA, but doesn't care about actually learning) at a top private can get a poor education, as well. So in the end it probably depends on the student.

I think there's a bigger difference between the top (Ivy caliber) privates and the small, lesser-known private schools. Some small schools really don't have great access to a variety of courses, or great professors, or great resources. These are realms in which the huge size of some of the state schools really becomes an asset.
I think I agree with all of that:)

BooMed

Optomist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Oregon girl in the Bama
Status
Non-Student
The quality of the hospital associated with a school is really important to me, since we will be spending so much time there. I want to be in a hospital that's one of the best in the region, rather than a dinky place that most patients don't actually go to.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
Status
Post Doc
Go to the bronx then (a "crappy" state med. school called SUNY downstate is over there)

funshine

at the fateful hour
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
The OP's talking about undergrad, not med schools.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
Status
Post Doc
i'm talking about post above me

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member