new practicum question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcallmepsych4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be at a primarily assessment site next year. My supervisor emailed today saying that my first day there we will be testing a kid together. In the interview, I told him I have only tested adults... I do not know any of the kid assessments besides giving them one time for class a year ago. Do you think he means I will simply be observing him? I guess I'm just kind of nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

My only experience with assessments is neuro testing I did for the last two years (WAIS, WMS, and a lot of other random test like the Trails).

Exciting! He probably just means you'll see the patient together. You might observe him or someone else test; he might ask you to give tests you're comfortable with.

Actually, I have no idea what he means. He may have forgotten entirely about your previous experiences and may be expecting you to be the tech for the entire session. But! You should always feel free to speak up if you're not comfortable- completely appropriate. It's not unusual for assessment supervisors to just kind of throw you in there, but (assuming they're decent supervisors) be available to step in when necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be at a primarily assessment site next year. My supervisor emailed today saying that my first day there we will be testing a kid together. In the interview, I told him I have only tested adults... I do not know any of the kid assessments besides giving them one time for class a year ago. Do you think he means I will simply be observing him? I guess I'm just kind of nervous!
Ask him. I know I've probably said things to trainees like "we'll be testing..." or "we'll do it together" while meaning that I'd be doingbitvwhilevthe trainee observed. We typically have our students present during testing as soon as they start. My guess is you'll just be observing, but no need to speculate- you have his email.

1) assessment with kids is a little less formal, so it's not a bad place to start. Kids don't know when you're screwing up. And they trust adults. In that respect it is a pretty good situation to co-administer a test and have errors corrected.

2) be humble, admit what you don't know.

Reactions: 1 user