New Pre-med.. Need help guys....!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN..! I currently switched from being pre-dent to pre-med. I have applied the last 2 years to dental school and ended up being rejected. 1st year due to application probs (dont ask it was a stupid mistake wrong ssn???) DONT LAUGH..lol Currently in the 2nd cycle.. but no interview yet, class is full.
i graduated after 3 years in undergrad with a 3.4 gpa.. my dats werent good but after taking it only after 3 semesters and getting an 18 i THOUGHT it wasnt bad.. the dean of admissions said my coarse load was very impressive since ive averaged 19 credits mostly sci each semester. she told me to retake the dats but i know 4 of my close friends that got 18 and 19s that got accepted with a lower gpa and coarse load. she told me to take the masters program.
Now i am currently taking a masters program at a medical school, started as a predent, not worrying about my gpa. (since nobody gets a masters to get accepted to dental school).. i started out with a 3.2... i can improve but it will be hard.
having no research, limited volunteering hours and lots of shadowing, i will need a high mcat score..
but how high?? i know i have to get in the 30s.. i will study my life off...
what else can i do before the app cycle this summer

Members don't see this ad.

Cross posting in two forums is not allowed by the mods. I've responded to your other post in PreMed Allopathic.

haha this shouldve been the right one though lol

did you ans it

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't expect a high MCAT to make up for a lack of ECs and a borderline GPA. Shadow a doc or two, volunteer at a hospital or local clinic, and get those hours up! Adcoms want to see that you're committed to the lifestyle that is required of future physicians, and that you understand what you're getting yourself into.

I'd also suggest taking a few upper level science courses to boost your sGPA. It can only help at this point.

You can't expect a high MCAT to make up for a lack of ECs and a borderline GPA. Shadow a doc or two, volunteer at a hospital or local clinic, and get those hours up! Adcoms want to see that you're committed to the lifestyle that is required of future physicians, and that you understand what you're getting yourself into.

I'd also suggest taking a few upper level science courses to boost your sGPA. It can only help at this point.

im taking a masters bms program.. cant really go higher then that.. 100s of hrs in shadowing.. twice a month volunteering (not my choice thats the max i can get here in detroit) i am thinking DO whats a compet mcat score do u think would be able to make up that gpa

33+ MCAT

and time to build a competitive app....need the ECs!!

for an MD.. i dont know.. i think my gpa is low.. i think my only opt is DO :(.. but i dont know any large diff between them.. what is ur reasoning