• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Gryhu

Dom
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm currently a second semester sophomore at Stony Brook University in NY and I'm planning on taking the MCATs next summer. I've been reading SDN for a while and just recently joined. One article that caught my eye was about podiatry and how its a growing profession. I then shadowed a podiatrist and I love it!

I'm a pre-med to pre-pod convert like some other pre-pods but not because I don't have the stats to get into med school(3.6 Sci and overall GPA) but because I like the fact that podiatrists are the foot and ankle authority.

I always knew I wanted to do something with medicine but I never could really choose a specialty. Podiatry is my calling; I love the idea that I will be the patients radiologist, rheumatologist, dermatologist, surgeon, etc. when it comes to their foot and ankles. I can do everything! :cool:

Anyone have suggestions on what to do the next two years before pod school?

- Bahaa

dpmPOD

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Volunteering woulden't hurt, nor would getting a letter of rec. from the podiatrist you shadowed. Also, start making connections with some of your professors as you'll need them to write you letters as well at some point. Study for the MCAT and keep up the good work :thumbup:

About the Ads

crhoody12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
he's a chelsea fan. i think he should be banned from the forum, and the dpm community all together. sorry, just my opinion.

APMAHelp

Consultant
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm currently a second semester sophomore at Stony Brook University in NY and I'm planning on taking the MCATs next summer. I've been reading SDN for a while and just recently joined. One article that caught my eye was about podiatry and how its a growing profession. I then shadowed a podiatrist and I love it!

I'm a pre-med to pre-pod convert like some other pre-pods but not because I don't have the stats to get into med school(3.6 Sci and overall GPA) but because I like the fact that podiatrists are the foot and ankle authority.

I always knew I wanted to do something with medicine but I never could really choose a specialty. Podiatry is my calling; I love the idea that I will be the patients radiologist, rheumatologist, dermatologist, surgeon, etc. when it comes to their foot and ankles. I can do everything! :cool:

Anyone have suggestions on what to do the next two years before pod school?

- Bahaa

Welcome to the family of podiatric medicine. One of the great things about this field is that it is small enough for there to be an atmosphere of cooperation between practitioners, students, applicants, etc. just like a family. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you out as you progress through the application and education process.

Gryhu

Dom
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
he's a chelsea fan. i think he should be banned from the forum, and the dpm community all together. sorry, just my opinion.

haha. I'll leave the dpm community once the U.S. wins a world cup. :laugh: From the looks of it, I'll probably be here for a LONG time.

At least the wolves are an English team, I can respect that. :thumbup:

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
The Burrow
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
haha. I'll leave the dpm community once the U.S. wins a world cup. :laugh: From the looks of it, I'll probably be here for a LONG time.

At least the wolves are an English team, I can respect that. :thumbup:

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

:laugh:

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2007
The Burrow
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
On a serious note...

See if you can get with a DPM who will let you watch some surgeries if you have not already. It's an awesome experience.

If the doc you have shadowed hasn't offered, but you live in an area with lots of DPM's check out a few offices. You may be able to see some good procedures! :thumbup:

Snake Doctor

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2007
Westwood, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
On a serious note...

See if you can get with a DPM who will let you watch some surgeries if you have not already. It's an awesome experience.

If the doc you have shadowed hasn't offered, but you live in an area with lots of DPM's check out a few offices. You may be able to see some good procedures! :thumbup:

I second that! I got to witness a surgery on a toe and it was really neat :)

Gryhu

Dom
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah, I only got to see debridements and some routine office things when I shadowed a podiatrist. I really want to see some surgery!

Btw, is biochem worth taking during undergrad? When I was premed everyone was like yeah take it! What do current pod students think?

JackedUp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
I definitely think BioChem is worth taking in undergrad. In pod school it will be one of our tough classes during the first year. It will definitely provide you with a good introduction to what we will be learning in pod school. For example you will have a head start on the amino acids, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, as well as a bunch of enzymes.

Gryhu

Dom
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I definitely think BioChem is worth taking in undergrad. In pod school it will be one of our tough classes during the first year. It will definitely provide you with a good introduction to what we will be learning in pod school. For example you will have a head start on the amino acids, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, as well as a bunch of enzymes.

Thanks for the advice. Are you a current pod student or still undergrad?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.