New premed to this site...feedback or response from someone, anyone?

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by closet_premed?, Apr 15, 2004.

1. closet_premed?

closet_premed? Junior Member

Hi, I am new to this site and this will be my first post. I was just hoping that someone out there reading this will be able to give me some kind of response. I have always been interested in a career in health care, as a physician, not a nurse. I enrolled at a California jc/cc (junior college/community college) to try to get into an ADN program. I figured I would have great job security and if I really wanted to pursue a career in medicine I would already have job experience as an RN and not have to take out a big loan or anything to pay for medical school. After the second semester (out of 4) I left the program, to never ever return to the world of nursing education. I just did not feel that nursing would give me the autonomy I was looking for in a career. Also, I wanted to be in a position to earn respect for what I did to help improve a patient?s condition, both from society and all members of the health care team. Another thing I didn?t like about being in nursing school was learning to do the things that a CNA would actually be doing in the hospital (i.e. bed-making and wiping excrement from the patient?s behind). It was just a bunch of BS, if I can speak frankly, because even our preceptors said that we would probably never have to do this during our careers. My parents (who both have a BSN) were not particularly pleased with the fact that I dropped out of nursing. They said I should just finish what I started, so I could at least have something to fall back on. I refused; I didn?t want to waste another academic year studying something I wasn?t passionate about, I didn?t want to be another RN who hates his job, and lastly, I should have never taken away a seat in that nursing class from someone in the applicant pool who in their heart of hearts truly wanted to be an RN. I am still at that California jc/cc, but now I am working on prerequisites for medical school: organic chem., gen. physics, calc, and gen. bio (not all at the same time, mind you). I already got gen. chemistry done (A in 1st semester and a B in 2nd semester).
    Since I will be taking all my prerequisites at a cc, I plan on transferring as a Biological Sciences major to University of California, Riverside in order show admissions committees that I am fully capable of completing upper-division science coursework successfully. I have heard it said that the prof?s there are approachable and easy to talk to and I know that they have a premed club and pre-health professions advisors. As far as getting experience, I am thinking about volunteering at Loma Linda University Medical Center or another community hospital. I have also been tinkering with the idea of pursing a career in pharmacy (went to an info. session at University of Southern California) or going through a post-baccalaureate program if I am not admitted to a medical school the first time (I only plan on applying in my home state of California). If anyone could please comment on any of these questions I would be very much obliged. 1.) Should I just go crawling back to that ADN program or continue with what I am doing now? 2.) Will admissions committees, pre-health advisors, or even other premed students look down on me for once being in a nursing program and leaving for medicine? 3.) Are those test-prep/study guides for the MCAT really worth the time and money? If so, would you be kind enough to recommend one? 4.) Is there another web-site or chat/forum where I could talk to other young men who have left nursing school to pursue a career in medicine? 5.) Are there summer programs offered by colleges or universities in California to help undergrad?s in their quest for a medical education? I would like to thank each and everyone of you for reading this very long-winded 1st post of mine and hope to hear from you and reply to your posts as well.

PS: Please do not feel obligated in any way to respond to all 5 of my questions. All feedback and responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again everyone!

2. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I know that I can not answer all of your questions...but ultimately I think that only you can answer some of the questions that you are asking. Getting through all of the training and everthing takes a lot of dedication, so be sure in your decision and research other careers surrounding if you are not sure. MD/DO/DDS/Chiropractics/Pharmacy/PT/OT, etc.

1. If it is a doctor (either MD or DO) that you really want to be, then continue on the path that you are on...and keep your grades up!
    2. This is purely an opinion, but I would not imagine it as a disadvantage to have changed your mind on what part of medicine that you wanted to be in.
    3. I took a test prep for the MCAT thru Kaplan because I won it in a contest. Wether or not it is worth the money is going to depend on each individual person. Me, would have I paid it...I would have. The test prep is good for the type of student who does not do well with self study. If you can sit down with a stack of books of review and tons of problems and practice tests...and stayed focused, then you don't need the test prep. Just remember, that it will take dedicated studying for several months for most people. I needed the structure that the classroom offered, so it was good for me.
    4. ???? No clue. Maybe go into the pre-md and pre-do forums and ask if any of the ppl on there were previously in a situation like yours.
    5. ????

Sorry this was so long...hope it made sense, any questions...private message me or find me on AOL IM. GOOD LUCK!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fab4fan

fab4fan TiredRetiredRN
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

I will hold my tongue and not post what I am really thinking. As far as your list of "questions," the one answer I will post is please do not waste your time and your profs. time by taking up space in a class that you hate. Let someone who really wants to be a nurse have your slot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Then you might want to consider the complementary medicine route as more money is spend and more visits made to these guys than Western medicine. The public has spoken!

5. ICU RN since83

ICU RN since83 Junior Member

Nurses don't get respect from society, and all members of the health care team? Nurses rate higher on the trust scale than any other surveyed profession, I heard. Higher than doctors, I heard. BTW, wiping excrement from patients' behinds is not BS - that's vet school you're thinking of. Got to work on the taxonomy stuff, a little.

6. vschow

vschow Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took a class to be certified as a CNA. I took it for many reasons. I would like to go to medical school and I wanted to get some clinical experience (I'm currently employed as a CNA). This class also gave me the opportunity to understand and appreciate nurses and CNAs. When I am a doctor I will know exactly what it is like to do what they are doing. having been there myself, I can sympathize and become a better physician.

Wiping feces from a patients behind is not shameful or BS. Medicine is a service oriented field. These patients will need people to do this for them. Without ANYONE to do it their skin will likely break down and if they don't have bowel movements they will die. It is a completely natural and shameless ADL. As a physician you will probably have to wipe the occasional behind or change the bandage. If a nurse has something more pressing to do and you, the physician have a few minutes, it is likely (and more efficient) to do it yourself and have it done and completed.

this is just my opinion. I think that it is important for both the physician and the nurse to understand the hardships of each others jobs. the CNA training really allowed me to see what the CNA and nurses have to go through. You can believe that when I am a physician, the CNAs, LVNs, and RNs will have my utmost respect. They are all hardworking individuals with amazing talents!!