New Psychiatry Residency Program - Osceola Regional Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year trying to match this year. ROL(n=11) is already submitted and certified but I was going to post something that is similar to 'what are my chances' due to my low step score and a red flag.

Then, when I imagined a situation which some wise old psychiatrist attendings like Gandalf the white, Dumbledore or Eddard Stark (@OldPsychDoc ) replying to my prospective post with arbitrary but exact percentage (like 82% or something), I realized that my actual motivation to submit such a post is nothing to do with 'what are my chances'. It was for my own comfort measure.

Anyway.....There is a new psychiatry program opened in Florida, and it requires a letter from program chair. Should I send an email to my program chair to get recommendation letter ready? What is the best way to phrase my email without showing anxiety? What does it mean for a program to receive initial accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 4th year trying to match this year. ROL(n=11) is already submitted and certified but I was going to post something that is similar to 'what are my chances' due to my low step score and a red flag.

Then, when I imagined a situation which some wise old psychiatrist attendings like Gandalf the white, Dumbledore or Eddard Stark (@OldPsychDoc ) replying to my prospective post with arbitrary but exact percentage (like 82% or something), I realized that my actual motivation to submit such a post is nothing to do with 'what are my chances'. It was for my own comfort measure.

Anyway.....There is a new psychiatry program opened in Florida, and it requires a letter from program chair. Should I send an email to my program chair to get recommendation letter ready? What is the best way to phrase my email without showing anxiety? What does it mean for a program to receive initial accreditation?

Not sure I understand. Did you rank this place already but they need a chair letter to rank you? If so, you're sort of sunk at this point since the lists are already in.

Or is this place not participating in the match this year and you are hoping to get an offer outside the match because you do not think 11 programs is enough and you are unlikely to match?

Honestly having 11 interviews, unless they are literally all top programs, makes it much more likely that you are going to match just fine. Clearly a number of programs were not that bothered about your scores or whatever the red flag was.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure I understand. Did you rank this place already but they need a chair letter to rank you? If so, you're sort of sunk at this point since the lists are already in.

Or is this place not participating in the match this year and you are hoping to get an offer outside the match because you do not think 11 programs is enough and you are unlikely to match?

Honestly having 11 interviews, unless they are literally all top programs, makes it much more likely that you are going to match just fine. Clearly a number of programs were not that bothered about your scores or whatever the red flag was.
Even if they're all top, which means you're a top applicant who's going to match at one of them.

Seriously, even though psychiatry is getting more competitive, it's still not *that* competitive, so as not to match with 11 ranks (unless you suck tremendously in interpersonal interactions, which is also not highly likely).

Members don't see this ad :)

They were half academic and half community. And I applied to 50ish programs. Apparently, this new program is accepting application during SOAP process. I wasn't sure how fast do I have to act if I want to land an interview at this program

Even if they're all top, which means you're a top applicant who's going to match at one of them.

Seriously, even though psychiatry is getting more competitive, it's still not *that* competitive, so as not to match with 11 ranks (unless you suck tremendously in interpersonal interactions, which is also not highly likely).

I hope I do not suck in interpersonal interactions but it is hard for me know whether I actually suck or not....

seriously - you want to waste someone's time by writing you a pointless letter of recommendation for a program you most likely won't apply to. If you think it will help your anxiety, why don't you draft a letter for your chair to sign, and then if you don't match, you can send it to them for their review and signature.

seriously - you want to waste someone's time by writing you a pointless letter of recommendation for a program you most likely won't apply to. If you think it will help your anxiety, why don't you draft a letter for your chair to sign, and then if you don't match, you can send it to them for their review and signature.
That was my exact concerns. Asking my PC to write a recommendation within couple of days seems very unrealistic. I think I am gonna follow your advice and draft a letter.

My understanding is you applied to a program without sendin the appropriate letter of rec requirements. I would just forget it.

My understanding is you applied to a program without sendin the appropriate letter of rec requirements. I would just forget it.

No. There is a new program starting in Florida that has just received preliminary accreditation. They will be accepting residents through the SOAP. He is asking about how to get a letter should he not match to his 12 places on his ROL and he has to SOAP. He is just overly paranoid and scared he isn’t going to match and so trying to make a preemptive strike to be ready to SOAP. With 12 rankings, he is almost guaranteed to match tho so freaking out for no reason lol

Reactions: 1 users
No. There is a new program starting in Florida that has just received preliminary accreditation. They will be accepting residents through the SOAP. He is asking about how to get a letter should he not match to his 12 places on his ROL and he has to SOAP. He is just overly paranoid and scared he isn’t going to match and so trying to make a preemptive strike to be ready to SOAP. With 12 rankings, he is almost guaranteed to match tho so freaking out for no reason lol

Ah, reading is a useful skill! Thanks. Wouldn’t change my recommendation tho. This too shall pass.