New question about interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trendyaznchica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this topic as been discussed ad nauseum, but even after searching and reading pretty much every post, I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.

OK, so I am a very small person, and it is truly very difficult for me to find clothes. Is it OK to wear a sweater/button-up with a suit-looking skirt/pants for an interview? Not that I have any yet, and probably not that I will be getting many, but just in case! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this topic as been discussed ad nauseum, but even after searching and reading pretty much every post, I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.

OK, so I am a very small person, and it is truly very difficult for me to find clothes. Is it OK to wear a sweater/button-up with a suit-looking skirt/pants for an interview? Not that I have any yet, and probably not that I will be getting many, but just in case! :)

I saw people doing this, and, although it is "acceptable", you will stand out b/c you'll probably be the only one not in a suit. It just depends upon how comfortable you are with that. Have you tried Anne Taylor? Their 0P jacket is pretty small, and they may even have 00P, although I'm not positive. Or consider buying a jacket and having it tailored.

i'm really tiny too. Unless you're actually a "little person," you can find a suit.

i'm almost 5'3 and i weigh generally between 95 and 100 pounds, i have a lot of luck in the juniors section of places like Kohl's, JCP, Dillards, etc. and i still don't wear the smallest sizes offered. Haven't had much luck with/am too poor to afford Anne Taylor, but a lot of people here say nice things :) If you're a LOT smaller than me, we might have a problem. Otherwise try the teen sections, just be careful not to get something too "fashionable" :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Another to try is victoriassecret.com. They carry a lot in size 0, and often you can order a shorter inseam pant (e.g. 30"). Just make sure that, unlike the models on the site, you wear a shirt underneath your suit! Seriously, who goes to an office job or an interview with their fake titties hanging out of their suit?! Oh well, that's VS for you...

How bout them Packers last night!!!!?:D

I'm 5'2, 105 lbs. and agree with the above suggestions. Ann Taylor actually carries 00P, which is awesome. My suit is actually from JCrew - they have size 0 in stores and 0P in their catalog. My size 0 suit fits fine; I just had to have it hemmed.

I am also an incredibly small person...people actually ALWAYS ask if I'm 16. I weigh 86 pounds and I'm 5'0". I have tried Ann Taylor, Express, Talbots, Macy's, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales, and pretty much every store that has a petite section and I have found that even the 00P is much too large from the waist and hips. What I did find however was this: the 00P SKIRT suit from banana republic fits on the bottom but the jacket is slightly too big, although the arm length is fine. I called the customer service dept. and they said they should be able to alter it for me once I receive the jacket and take it into a store. Hopefully it'll work and I won't look too goofy. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

wow. lots of teeny tiny people here. at 5'8. i end up buying tall sizes (J Crew) and having the sleeves shortened because i need the length in the torso but i do not have very long arms. i bought a knee length skirt suit so that i wouldnt need to deal with having pants adjusted for length. i don't think that anyone can find a suit that fits perfectly without some adjustment. just plan ahead so you can take the suit to a tailor if needed. but definitely wear a suit. look as professional as possible.

JCrew does alterations for free if you sign up for their credit card (no annual fee). When you sign up for the card, your first purchase gets 10% off. For every $500 you put on the card, you get a gift certificate (maybe $50?). Also, they give a 10% student discount.

we should start a teeny tiny person club!

Also, Victoria's Secret has awesome stuff, i can't believe i forgot that one :rolleyes:

JCrew does alterations for free if you sign up for their credit card (no annual fee). When you sign up for the card, your first purchase gets 10% off. For every $500 you put on the card, you get a gift certificate (maybe $50?). Also, they give a 10% student discount.

Yep, this is what I did as a tall person. But the free alterations for cardmembers only hold if they are on non-sale items (I think), so be careful of that. I love my J Crew suit! It cost a fortune, but I only buy clothes like twice a year and I think the quality is worth the splurge if you can afford it.

women are not held to that must wear black or gray suit mantra right? i have a light khaki one that i want to wear for early september interviews ( i think that j crew calls it "almond"). thats fine right?

women are not held to that must wear black or gray suit mantra right? i have a light khaki one that i want to wear for early september interviews ( i think that j crew calls it "almond"). thats fine right?

I actually think that will be better than black. I advise against black suits for people of either gender but realize that 90% of people will still be wearing one for some reason. Although charcoal/grey/navy are better, tan > black in the fall at least (assuming it's at least somewhat warm out)