New required reporting of USMLE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyBread

In GMO Purgatory
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all:
Took the USMLE last year, as well as COMLEX, figuring it couldn't hurt, I just wouldn't report if I didn't like the score. Today, administration folks at our school told us that we MUST report USMLE scores if applying to an AMA approved program. This is the first I've heard this.

Asked further, aforementioned administrator said that some people in the class of 2007 who failed to report USMLE scores were dropped by programs that had ranked them when they found out (she does not know how they found out who took and who didn't).

Can anyone validate or invalidate this bit of information, or point me to where an answer would be written?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered before,
mb

Members don't see this ad.

We had a meeting w/ our Dean today and this was one of the topics that came up. Basically, no one can force you to check the box on ERAS that indicates you have taken the USMLE. Your school saying that you "must" is likely their way of saying they highly recommend it to avoid any future problems.

You will just have to live that lie and hope that no one ever finds out. It has definitely happened before where a program found out, but I'm not sure what the consequences were. Taking that risk is up to you.

This is the reason why most people say not to take it unless you are confident that you can do well. When an AGCME program wants you to have a USMLE score in addition to COMLEX they don't just want you to have taken it for the sake of taking it. They want to see a respectable score.

Okay, so it's a "lie" and there are "consquences."

Can anyone tell me where it's written? Point me to the rule book?

Members don't see this ad :)
wish I knew....but I heard this directly from the horses mouth (both our Dean and Director of GME)....so I'll take that as fact....but I agree...it would be nice to see in writing for the students who could be effected by it

Alright, so I did some more digging. The paper version of ERAS Worksheet 2008 says:

"Note to osteopathic applicants only:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Before you certify your ERAS application, consider whether you will apply to ACGME and/or AOA-accredited programs. If you apply to ACGME accredited programs and you have taken the USMLE, you .must [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]report that on your CAF. If you .only [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]apply to AOA accredited programs, you do not have to report the USMLE on your CAF. ".
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman].
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The online version, on the same spot, does not have this caveat..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]I am also wondering what this means for dual-accredited programs, and how programs can find out if you do not enter a USMLE ID number..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Also, why this is on one ERAS resource and not the other.