new requiremnts for NYU and temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do they require 18 in each catergory in the dat or a minimum of 18AA?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it is 18AA

where are you getting this info?

Members don't see this ad :)
its an 18 in each cat. i just called

NYU is weird. They require minimum gpa of 3.5 and yet, entering student average gpa is slightly above 3.0. :confused:

I believe the 3.5 GPA requirement is only if you will be entering D-school without a bachelors degree.

The average can therefore be lower because off all the people applying and entering with degrees, in which the requirement is waived.

I think it might be something like 18 AA, TS, and PAT...not every individual section

it cant be 18 in every section, that would just suck

Why would that suck?
It will just force you to work harder and show that you can do it.
As the competition gets tougher you all are going to have to work harder.

18 in every section, but I doubt they look at math all that hard.

jackbauer!, congrats on your acceptance, I know you'd been waiting on a few schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would that suck?
It will just force you to work harder and show that you can do it.
As the competition gets tougher you all are going to have to work harder.

i don't like cutoffs...i don't think that schools can rightfully judge an applicant if they have cutoffs or minimums. it should be about the overall applicant, not numbers, and by focusing on numbers, i think they will miss out on other quality applicants that may had a rough day on one section. if every school had these silly minimums, i would not have been going to dental school.

1 low number does not equate to the type of applicant you are, or the success you'd have in dental school, and i appreciate schools that look at more than just a silly number.

I would assume there are exceptions to this rule. Do you think they would just toss someone aside who scored 22-24 in all sections but maybe got a 17 on just one? I doubt it...

I would assume there are exceptions to this rule. Do you think they would just toss someone aside who scored 22-24 in all sections but maybe got a 17 on just one? I doubt it...

well that's what i don't like about having a set minimum. if you're gonna have exceptions, why have the minimums to begin with? just seems like an unwise way to lose applicants.

i know unlv didn't make exceptions...if you had 1 low score, even with 20+ on other sections, you weren't considered. seems silly to me

who knows....I'm taking my DAT tomorrow, why am I worrying about this now?

so I took the DAT last year and got 20 and above on every section, except I got a 17 on the PAT. sooo that sucks for me... :( i think i'm going to just apply and see what happens...why don't they post this stuff on their web sites? :rolleyes:

so I took the DAT last year and got 20 and above on every section, except I got a 17 on the PAT. sooo that sucks for me... :( i think i'm going to just apply and see what happens...why don't they post this stuff on their web sites? :rolleyes:

wiggly, you have awesome stats. i don't think the 18 requirement is firm....especially if you got it on the PAT.

good luck,jb!:)

So JB,

Are you going to NYU then? Accepted anywhere else?

ya, don't worry about pat. my pat was even worse, and through teh application process, i learned that very few schools actually cared about it afterall. even the schools that said they emphasized it, didn't seem to care all that much.

I got 17 on PAT and was accepted to NYU and Temple so PAT is not very important. Just get really high AA and TS scores

I took it yesterday also and have the same results. I got a 20 on Total Science and 21 on Academic Average, but 17 on PAT. I'm still applying to both and going to see what happens.

I'm glad that they didn't have that rule when I applied last year or there would be several of us that would not have gotten in. I guess it paid last year to have a high gpa and lots of experience. Who knows. Good luck on the DAT:thumbup:

This is what they tell you, but remember there are always exceptions and it also is a good way to weed out those who think they should get into school with 15's-17's across the board because their uncle went to that school or something.

When you have 4500 people applying for 100 spots, it makes sense to wipe out half the applications based on cut offs like no degree etc.

However there are exceptions!!! I got a ** QR and look at me.