New Residents, FICA exemption?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDudeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was told by someone in HR that if I contribute at least 9% of my paycheck to a retirement savings plan (e.g. 401k, 403b, etc), I would be exempt from the FICA taxes.

I tried looking this up, but wasn't able to find anything online. Anyone have similar experiences with the FICA taxes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was told by someone in HR that if I contribute at least 9% of my paycheck to a retirement savings plan (e.g. 401k, 403b, etc), I would be exempt from the FICA taxes.

I tried looking this up, but wasn't able to find anything online. Anyone have similar experiences with the FICA taxes?
This is not the case. The IRS is very clear with new regulations that residents count as employees and have to pay their FICA in full.

The only exemption to that rule that you could possibly be alluding to applies only to employees of specific state government organizations that got out of FICA back in the mid-80s. For example, residents employed by the UC system in CA can get away with paying their 7.X% to a retirement account in lieu of paying it as FICA. And even then, I think they're liable for medicare taxes.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that wiki post does corroborate what I was told since I will be a gov employee. I'll see when I get my paycheck.

This was the case at Bellevue Hospital in NYC. I was also looking for references for this.

Apprently it was a bunch of places for a refund during certain years, but i could only find florida who still maintains this sweet deal

I'm moving to native american soil

I'm in FL, what does this mean?