new RFA machine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone

our pain department is looking into buying new RFA machines.
Can anyone recommend any of the cool new ones like venom, etc?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I use Neurotherm and the cheapest needles and probes we can find. Occasionally, one will fail doing four simultaneous lesions, but for the money it has been a great investment.

Good service with our Abbott rep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cosman sucks.
I second that.
We got a Cosman due to the low cost and a good deal on probes but the probes have been a huge problem. They broke constantly. We just got a new Stryker system instead and have been very happy. Very expensive unit upfront but we were able to negotiate a reduced disposables price to offset the cost. It also heats up a lot faster.

Probes ALWAYS broken. Cords ALWAYS broken.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the new Medtronic one, which I am not happy with. I think it's made by Bayliss.
I have used the new Stryker one as well, which seemed to get the job done but was fickle.
The old Stryker/Cosman machines work well and consistently.
It sounds like you have a bigger budget ("our pain department"), so i naturally recommend you get whatever is the most expensive and report back to us, thanks

What problems are you having with Medtronic unit?

Anyone use the Abbott one yet?

Medtronic unit has this "hub" unit which connects to the machine (the cords attach to this, not directly to the machine)
What problems are you having with Medtronic unit?

Anyone use the Abbott one yet?

The fancy new Medtronic has a small foot print, big touch screen but also something called a "hub"

The cords connect to the hub, which then has it's own single cord to connect to the main machine (the Stryker is like this too)

I seem to get either endless temperature errors (high temp, low temp, taking too long to achieve temp) or one of the ports on the hub goes bad

I have had the hubs replaced a couple times

I have Nitinol probes, but they still seem to bend easily and not retain their shape

The rep has been on top of things but. . . .can't recommend it

Multiply problems by 3-4x per patient, and then the number of patients you do in a year and it adds up fast

I just got the new Boston Scientific machine and they have upgraded the older Cosman electrodes. I like it a lot and the deal was decent. I still love my Neurotherm 1100s though. The Abbott electrodes have a very long cord that gets tangled and pouching is a chore sometimes but the BS electrodes have a short cord that is easier to deal with.

there is a new RFA unit from Abbott. does anyone have experience with it? we're apparently getting upgraded soon to this new machine from our Neurotherm units.