New school in Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody think the new school in Arizona is going to be easier to get into or if it is even worth it? I appreciate your opinions.

Thank you:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Worth it? Only if you think that you WANT to go there. Research the school, look at their wesbite. If you do your research, you'll find that there are many unique concepts in their curriculum.

Easier? I don't anyone can answer that - maybe not as competitive as certain schools, but no one can say what the applicant pool looks like right now.

Don't apply there unless you really want to go there - no DO schools are shoe ins or 'easy' to get into IMO.

Umm what school is this?? I was only aware of AZCOM and AT-Still Mesa. I'm fairly sure AT-Mesa is newish ... but not brand new??

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe plans for Rocky Vista-Arizona Campus are in the works already.

Thanks. I looks good for primary care.:thumbup:

Umm what school is this?? I was only aware of AZCOM and AT-Still Mesa. I'm fairly sure AT-Mesa is newish ... but not brand new??

ATSU-Mesa has their first class this year so still pretty new in my opinion.

ATSU-Mesa has their first class this year so still pretty new in my opinion.

Gotcha ... I thought they had already started a few years ago though. My mistake.

Gotcha ... I thought they had already started a few years ago though. My mistake.

No big deal. I just said in my opinion because I wasn't sure what other people consider new. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I was pretty sure that they were taking applicants for the first time last year, same as DCOM.

According to administration here at ATSU we had approximately 2000 apps for the 107 spots in the DO program. On top of this because of the unique aspect of the program, they really looked for applicants who fit into the model of working in underserved medicine. Lots of schools give this lip service, but next September my class will be in 11 community health centers throughout the country working with some of the most underserved communities in the country. We are the only school directly affiliated with the National Assoc of Community health centers in which our students are in-house students at these CHCs.

In other words, i would definetely say ATSU is in NO way "easier to get in to" than any other DO schools or medical school, period.

BTW. ATSU Mesa has been around ten years. But the School of Osteopathic medicine in Arizona is brand new. ATSU also has Arizona School of Health Sciences-- PT, AuD, PA, etc., which have been around ten years, as well as the only Dental school in Arizona -Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral health which has been around 5 years.

According to administration here at ATSU we had approximately 2000 apps for the 107 spots in the DO program. On top of this because of the unique aspect of the program, they really looked for applicants who fit into the model of working in underserved medicine. Lots of schools give this lip service, but next September my class will be in 11 community health centers throughout the country working with some of the most underserved communities in the country. We are the only school directly affiliated with the National Assoc of Community health centers in which our students are in-house students at these CHCs.

In other words, i would definetely say ATSU is in NO way "easier to get in to" than any other DO schools or medical school, period.

BTW. ATSU Mesa has been around ten years. But the School of Osteopathic medicine in Arizona is brand new. ATSU also has Arizona School of Health Sciences-- PT, AuD, PA, etc., which have been around ten years, as well as the only Dental school in Arizona -Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral health which has been around 5 years.

Thanks for the clarification! How does it get worked out regarding who goes to which CHC?

Wow, that is by no means easy. Thank you for the clarification and from what I read and hear, it seams to be a cool way of approaching medicine.:thumbup:

The "new school" is called SOMA (School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona). It is part of A.T. Still University (KCOM).

You could make the argument that the new schools are "easier" to get into because more competitive applicants will prefer to go to a school where things are a bit more established. However, as EastWestNGRT pointed out, we did get a fair share of applicants last year despite entering the application cycle 3 months later than every other school. Since they're starting earlier this year, there will probably be more applicants.

To the OP: If you're interested in the school, apply and don't worry so much about how much different your chances are. You never know who's interest you're going to spark.

Thanks for the clarification! How does it get worked out regarding who goes to which CHC?

Last year they had us rank our choices on interview day. At the time you receive your acceptance phone call, you will be told where you will be assigned. I don't know if they're planning on changing the process this year.

One of the perks of SOMA is that you will get to spend three clinical years in one location, unlike some other schools where you have to move around every 6-12 months without knowing whether you'll be in PA, AZ, MI or wherever until you hit that third year.

Last year they had us rank our choices on interview day. At the time you receive your acceptance phone call, you will be told where you will be assigned. I don't know if they're planning on changing the process this year.

One of the perks of SOMA is that you will get to spend three clinical years in one location, unlike some other schools where you have to move around every 6-12 months without knowing whether you'll be in PA, AZ, MI or wherever until you hit that third year.

Thanks for the response! Do you happen to have a link to the different locations?