NEW School: Shatkins School of Dentistry, Daeman University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this program filing for CODA accreditation? It's in New York. This Shatkins fellow has been running an AEGD and now wants to renovate a building for a 3-year DDS/DMD program. Didactic would be done at Daeman University.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL all I can think of is my patient earlier this month who came in with THREE(!) debonded "Shatkins bridges" (really they were tissue-borne because the mini implants weren't doing **** for retention)
We'll see more of that I'm sure once his students graduate...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't imagine anyone will have anything positive to say

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a news report that was posted on DT yesterday about another one opening in Kentucky, as well. How easy are the accreditation standards set by CODA? What members are approving all of these changes, and how long have they been in their positions?

Saw a news report that was posted on DT yesterday about another one opening in Kentucky, as well. How easy are the accreditation standards set by CODA? What members are approving all of these changes, and how long have they been in their positions?
There's also a new one in NC that doesn't even require the DAT (HPU Announces New Dentistry School, Dean, Facility and Hundreds of New Jobs | High Point University)

And another one in eastern WA only 2 hours away from UW School of Dentistry (PNWU in Yakima hires dean to develop new dental school)

All backed by DSOs I'm sure. I know the one in NC got a very generous donation from Heartland Dental

Just confirming: Transformative $25 Million Gift Brings College of Dentistry to the University of Pikeville | UPIKE .

We will see about Daemen... it has to be approved by the state of NY, and I'm not sure having two dental schools in Buffalo is a good idea.

Wow. Granted, Appalachia is ACTUALLY an underserved area, and dental schools are solid cheap care, but this is getting nutty

Sure, it’s a lot more dentists out in the field. But it sounds like they will not be good programs and will be putting out some less than proficient clinicians. This is will only help the rest of us.

I was looking at buying an office that recently had an Aspen open up across the street. It was a red flag for me. But after going through the financials and speaking to the owner he says it was the absolute best thing that happened to his practice.

We receive: new expensive schools, lower standards of entry, worse new grads, saturation

The new schools’ founders receive: tons of money

We receive: new expensive schools, lower standards of entry, worse new grads, saturation

That and the DSOs that fund these schools will receive a supply of ill-prepared new grads with heavy debt load to become their indentured servants basically...

Reactions: 1 user

These programs keep claiming that they are going to produce dentists who will see undeserved communities. They will not be doing this unless they can strip them of their rights and enforce something beyond the law to prevent them the freedom to choose where to practice and to whom they serve.

Expansion of NHSC or like programs can solve the problem of not enough dentists seeing undeserved patients, not increasing the graduating class size by 1000 every 5 years. Every member of the profession should be concerned and motivated to oppose what is going on. At a certain point it becomes obvious that certain governing bodies are no longer acting in the best interest of the profession and are doing a poor job of self regulation; whether they care about that is another story.

Reactions: 4 users
These programs keep claiming that they are going to produce dentists who will see undeserved communities. They will not be doing this unless they can strip them of their rights and enforce something beyond the law to prevent them the freedom to choose where to practice and to whom they serve.

Expansion of NHSC or like programs can solve the problem of not enough dentists seeing undeserved patients, not increasing the graduating class size by 1000 every 5 years. Every member of the profession should be concerned and motivated to oppose what is going on. At a certain point it becomes obvious that certain governing bodies are no longer acting in the best interest of the profession and are doing a poor job of self regulation; whether they care about that is another story.
This is the dawn of dentistry becoming like pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
why does CODA grant these schools accreditation?

the federal student loan debt is reaching 2T, this is a bubble that needs to burst so these new schools for schmucks with no endowment go under.

This is the dawn of dentistry becoming like pharmacy
Took the words right out of my mouth. And hence why I choose to use strong words in all of the posts so far. What's being done is reckless.

The list of members of CODA’s Board of Commissioners:

CODA director, etc

Should start contacting them and let them know what their colleagues think, we do have valuable opinions and a right to say and dictate how our field progresses.
Oh my God I know one of the dentists on that list professionally. Their clinical dentistry is not great... and they're on the accrediting body?!

The director of CODA is not even a dentist. Huge red flag.

none of them on that second list are dentists. How can you promote dental education if you don't even have a dental degree?

none of them on that second list are dentists. How can you promote dental education if you don't even have a dental degree?
Why are we allowing a hygienist to lead this organization? I wonder if this was blasted all over dental nachos and dental town if it could rile enough people up to make a difference. Regardless of who's in charge, the root problem is the expansion of schools.

I don’t believe CODA has the ability to limit the number of schools opening if they legitimately meet the minimum accreditation standards. Something to do with anti-trust law.

I don’t believe CODA has the ability to limit the number of schools opening if they legitimately meet the minimum accreditation standards. Something to do with anti-trust law.
Increase standards then or let gov control since it can become an issue of a public good

A6BAD565-8713-4420-9654-C2E56388BF00.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if Dawson/Pankey/Spear/Christensen Jr. opened a dental school, how popular would it be? And how expensive. I’m thinking the names would command a high price and people will pay that much to attend their for-profit hypothetical schools.

Why do hygienists run CODA?? No disrespect but shouldn't a dentist do this...??

I wonder if Dawson/Pankey/Spear/Christensen Jr. opened a dental school, how popular would it be? And how expensive. I’m thinking the names would command a high price and people will pay that much to attend their for-profit hypothetical schools.
I think their current model is more profitable. A few thousand for 2-4 day courses which run all year. Plus the online courses which have less overhead.

Why do hygienists run CODA?? No disrespect but shouldn't a dentist do this...??

I’m sure it would be nice to have a dentist do this job, but they probably have a hard time finding dentists willing to do it.

There needs to be more hygiene schools to keep up with all the new graduating dentists… otherwise general dentistry will become the new dental hygiene…

Sure, it’s a lot more dentists out in the field. But it sounds like they will not be good programs and will be putting out some less than proficient clinicians. This is will only help the rest of us.

I was looking at buying an office that recently had an Aspen open up across the street. It was a red flag for me. But after going through the financials and speaking to the owner he says it was the absolute best thing that happened to his practice.
If these new schools aren't putting out proficient clinicians .. doesn't that mean that all the other dental schools that were once new didn't put out good clinicians either? Doesn't all the dental schools (NYU, USC, Etc) all started out as a "new" dental school? Just curious.

Is this even true about it being a new dental school? I am not even finding a proper website for the school....