New Schools great for the profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who said I don't know it? :D

You might. All its takes is a search of SDN to find it.

Youre still a premed Commander. Stick to what you know. Laser, tasers, phasers and such.

Members don't see this ad.

I.G.M. Syndrome?

I Got Mine

Those who already have something, or who have already overcome an obstacle feel the need to make it more difficult for everyone else - or certainly not make it any easier for them.

You might. All its takes is a search of SDN to find it.

Youre still a premed Commander. Stick to what you know. Laser, tasers, phasers and such.

L.O.L., see you at P.C.O.M., probably. I'm still deciding. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I Got Mine

Those who already have something, or who have already overcome an obstacle feel the need to make it more difficult for everyone else - or certainly not make it any easier for them.

Ohhhh.

I dont think Johnny is like that. Not at all. I, along with most current DO students feel the same. So do most attendings.

Well, good luck deciding.

You get a lot of crap around here Commander...from me as much as anyone, but soon you will be in medical school so I will have to respect that.

I dont have to like you...but I will respect the fact that you worked hard to get where you are.

If you chose PCOM let me know what you look like...so I can pimp the hell out of you when youre on rotations. :D

;)

Well, good luck deciding.

You get a lot of crap around here Commander...from me as much as anyone, but soon you will be in medical school so I will have to respect that.

I dont have to like you...but I will respect the fact that you worked hard to get where you are.

If you chose PCOM let me know what you look like...so I can pimp the hell out of you when youre on rotations. :D

;)

I just have my doubts as to whether he actually got in. Most of his posts make him seem like a high schooler...

All I'm asking for is some concrete evidence... although I guess that no one asked it of me --

Then again, I don't go thread to thread borderline-trolling...

I Got Mine

Since this is an anonymous forumn I will go easy on you, but you made a very ignorant comment. I go to alot of effort to help people gain acceptance to schools. I don't need to prove myself to you.

I do believe that just because you think you would be a good doctor doesn't neccessarily mean you should be a doctor and I am for the maintaining of standards. Sometimes the adcom is protecting you by denying you admission. They know what it takes to succeed at medical school from years of experience and do not want people to be saddled with debt and no degree to show for it.

DO succeed by turning out a small number of QUALITY docs. It has been like that for a 100 years. Many have argued that the increase in numbers will remove the uniqueness of the profession. I agree, I don't care if the majority of the people don't know what a DO is. I care that my patients consider me the best doctor in the world for them and are willing to give me their complete trust. I will never have a problem finding people to come to my practice so what does it matter if more people know about DOs or not. My view may be skewed because I live in Philadelphia where DOs are common place and PCOM has been leading the way to gaining acceptance in the allopathic world.

No one is saying that we shouldn't expand. They are saying that we need to expand cautiously, we need to rely on our own organizations to train our docs. We don't need our own hospitals, as long as we keep producing a quality product. We also need to change perception and the explosion in new schools is not helping matters. New schools equal new revenue streams for the institution. Placing a school in the Northwest where there are DOs but no DO school is a FANTASTIC idea, placing a new school in NYC where there is already a school near by, the state as a whole has plenty of doctors and the population of the state is not growing as fast as the Southern states is a stupid idea.

As much as I htink your post are stupid, I will defend you on not knowing what the letter says. I never saw mine. My mom took it (delivered to their home) and never gave it to me. She called and told me I was in. No one has said anything in two years at the school so I guess I have to believe her now.

Jonny...dont listen to the above poster. We're right, they're wrong

Plus...what do you care? "You got yours"

If you say so. I think we'll all get along just fine at P.C.O.M. as long as maturity and discipline reign. :D
I don't know what kind of maturity and discipline you are hoping for....but if it doesn't bother you that people will rip on you endlessly if you come into school dressed in star trek gear....then you might be ok. If not, it could be like high school....just maybe less wedgies and being stuffed in lockers.....

Since this is an anonymous forumn I will go easy on you, but you made a very ignorant comment. I go to alot of effort to help people gain acceptance to schools. I don't need to prove myself to you.

I do believe that just because you think you would be a good doctor doesn't neccessarily mean you should be a doctor and I am for the maintaining of standards. Sometimes the adcom is protecting you by denying you admission. They know what it takes to succeed at medical school from years of experience and do not want people to be saddled with debt and no degree to show for it.

DO succeed by turning out a small number of QUALITY docs. It has been like that for a 100 years. Many have argued that the increase in numbers will remove the uniqueness of the profession. I agree, I don't care if the majority of the people don't know what a DO is. I care that my patients consider me the best doctor in the world for them and are willing to give me their complete trust. I will never have a problem finding people to come to my practice so what does it matter if more people know about DOs or not. My view may be skewed because I live in Philadelphia where DOs are common place and PCOM has been leading the way to gaining acceptance in the allopathic world.

No one is saying that we shouldn't expand. They are saying that we need to expand cautiously, we need to rely on our own organizations to train our docs. We don't need our own hospitals, as long as we keep producing a quality product. We also need to change perception and the explosion in new schools is not helping matters. New schools equal new revenue streams for the institution. Placing a school in the Northwest where there are DOs but no DO school is a FANTASTIC idea, placing a new school in NYC where there is already a school near by, the state as a whole has plenty of doctors and the population of the state is not growing as fast as the Southern states is a stupid idea.

That's interesting I hadn't thought of that.

I really don't care if people know about DOs... people need health care. I was really really sick last weekend and I couldn't help to think to myself, "I wish there was a doctor here to tell me what the hell is wrong." And I sort of thought it was ridiculous how it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference at that point if it was a DO, MD, or even a CNRP... (not that CNRP=DO in my mind... just illustrating a point..)

What do I really care about when I'm sick... that the doc is competent and cares about what the hell is wrong with me. Not only that, I want a doc who is willing to explain to me what's going on and answer questions calmly... I'm not sure if new schools are causing a dilution of the DO pool, but if they are and people start to associate DO with lesser physicians on a basis of ACTUAL QUALITY then we're in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
JonnyG - thank you for a post that actually has both substance and opinion. My responses follow:

I do believe that just because you think you would be a good doctor doesn't neccessarily mean you should be a doctor and I am for the maintaining of standards. Sometimes the adcom is protecting you by denying you admission.

I agree whole-heartedly. I don't believe everyone who wants to be a doctor should become one. There is a reason that we, as (prospective) medical students are held to very high standards. This is why I cringe everytime I hear someone call their doctor "stupid." When the average individual starts to think their medical opinion is more valid than their doctor's because they "read it on WebMD" or "researched" the topic themselves, I become very worried. A little bit of information can be devastating, but that's a different topic for another time.

However, I do believe that some people who are committed to becoming doctors will need some leeway, but they must prove this commitment. I, myself, suffered through a 2.9 UG GPA, which has gotten me immediately rejected by a number of medical schools, both allopathic and osteopathic, and probably rightfully so. However, I have demonstrated both commitment and capability (3.9 Graduate GPA and 34 MCAT), though I have needed someone to "take a chance" on me. Newer schools have provided me with that opportunity, but it should be obvious that risk is involved for both parties. With that being said, I do hope that the increased number of medical school class seats do not result in a dilution of the abilities of the students. (Have we seen what expansion did to pitching in baseball?) I don't think anyone who has a 2.5 GPA and a 21 MCAT will be prepared for the rigors of medical school, just because they "want to be a doctor" and "like watching Grey's Anatomy." But someone with a 2.5 and a 30 or a 3.6 and 24 with plenty of actual work in health care / community service might be capable, if given the opportunity. That's why this process is as involved as it is - sometimes it's not just the numbers; this is why we have supplemental applications and interviews.

DO succeed by turning out a small number of QUALITY docs...No one is saying that we shouldn't expand. They are saying that we need to expand cautiously, we need to rely on our own organizations to train our docs. Placing a school in the Northwest where there are DOs but no DO school is a FANTASTIC idea, placing a new school in NYC where there is already a school near by (isn't.)

Again, I think this is well said. Nobody wants a "lower-tier" doctor, so the rapid expansion is indeed worrisome. However, there are a number of qualified applicants who are just "not getting in" for one reason or another, whether it be applying late in the cycle or not being outgoing enough to get good LOR's or whatever it may be. So I'm all for a very selective expansion, especially when it goes hand in hand with the establishment of proper residencies. For example, I think a public D.O. school in the state of CA might be a great idea because

1. We're a large state with only two D.O. schools
2. The M.D. public school system in California is notoriously competitive, making it difficult for CA residents to get a medical education at a reduced cost
3. We're at the forefront of a preventive/primary care movement that is well-suited towards osteopathy.

Please pardon my long-windedness, but this discussion definitely highlights some important details about the argument for/against D.O. school expansion. I hope the powers that be realize the need for some new schools in certain situations, but also appropriate availability of residencies to properly prepare their students to become competent physicians.

I agree with JohnnyG, he def. helped me navigate the PCOM application system and also answered some of my more annoying/stressed out questions that I am sure he has heard a number of times. To say that he has IGM is dead wrong. No one is advocating having less schools, and people do not have to make it any easier for anyone to get into medical school.

As much as I htink your post are stupid, I will defend you on not knowing what the letter says. I never saw mine. My mom took it (delivered to their home) and never gave it to me. She called and told me I was in. No one has said anything in two years at the school so I guess I have to believe her now.

Interesting.

Any of the following questions will suffice, Riker:

1) When you walk into Evans Hall, what is in front of you as you walk in through the doors?

(there are several reasonable, yet specific answers)

2) True or false?
PCOM provides you with a recent matchlist at their interview session.

3) Name ONE of the signing authorities on the PCOM acceptance letter.

4) Is the PCOM dining commons located on the first or second floor?

5) Why did all the dinosaurs die?

Answer: BECAUSE YOU TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT. (that's from Family guy..)

lol

My name is Seger Morris. My picture is to the left. Nice to meet you.

There, now it's not anonymous any more.

You're exactly right - this is an anonymous thread. The only thing ignorant about my comment is the lack of knowledge of your character. The only reason for this ignorance is because this is an anonymous thread and I do not know you on a personal level.

My comment was based on what I read in this thread in comparison with my exposure to people in other professions.

Your post quoted above makes many points that were not previously posted in this thread. Furthermore, I agree completely with everything in your post except the part about the adcom protecting a student by not accepting them. The adcom's job is not to protect people.

I will be a third generation DO and understand the professional challenges you mentioned. I like all the DO schools opening (and, like you, I disagree with many of the locations) because it encourages competition. The best environment we can have in this profession is where students compete for schools and schools compete for students.

Not one person here has spoken previously (to my knowledge) about the focus being cautious expansion. From my perception, the focus has been only on the residencies.

You're right, you don't need to prove yourself to me...but your post just did:thumbup:

Since we where talking about lack of and quality of DO GME i decided to do a search for some things in the works. uro surg, em:biglove: , optho, and neuro surg.

http://www.saintvincenthealth.com/emergency/news_new_phys_residency.html
http://www.somc.org/news/archives/2007/03/kasper/
http://www.valleyhospital.net/p3140.html
www.woma.org/Spring%20DO2005.pdf

And a director from Touro told me yesturday they are also working on an ortho residency as well.
One new residency program can take 1-20+ people per year depending on specialty. The most coveted are 1-5. Not in proportion to the 5+ new school opening.

Also, quality can be questionable at some smaller places that don't get varied pathology.

Correction.....I think you meant FIU not FAU. Currently, UM uses FAU's Boca campus as a regional campus for it's MD program. FAU would eventually like to have their own MD program, but that won't happen for a while.

Although it's technically UM's regional campus, most people consider it "FAU's medical school" (it's even referred to that way in the newspaper headlines) since it is operated on FAU's campus under FAU's College of Biomedical Science. But yes, technically it's UM's medical school for the time being...

MD programs at FIU and UCF were approved by the state last year and classes will begin sometime between 2008-2010.

UCF will host their first, small class in 2009. The building may not even be done in time, but they're going to start educating 40 students in Fall 2009. I haven't heard the same movement on FIU's front, so I imagine they'll start the year after (2010)

There may be a school close to nyc, but there still happens to be A LOT of underserved communities. A school opening up in Harlem which aims to provide care to these communities is EXACTLY what we need.

-and who says there won’t be quality doctors coming out of this school? There has been a lot put into the school and I’m sure good things will come out of it!

One new residency program can take 1-20+ people per year depending on specialty. The most coveted are 1-5. Not in proportion to the 5+ new school opening.

Also, quality can be questionable at some smaller places that don't get varied pathology.

The new schools aren't going to graduate a class for 4-5 years so I'm not going to worry about them. Plus they will probably set up some residencies before they do, such as Touro-NV
From what I've noticed at smaller places is that they will have rotations (ie trauma) at a level 1 somewhere close by (usually).

There may be a school close to nyc, but there still happens to be A LOT of underserved communities. A school opening up in Harlem which aims to provide care to these communities is EXACTLY what we need.

-and who says there won’t be quality doctors coming out of this school? There has been a lot put into the school and I’m sure good things will come out of it!
possibly....but unless they have some sort of clause in a contract w/ the students...there is nothing keeping those students to practice in that area

I like that.. I'd provide my name if others joined in... I don't like this anonymity

Eh, my picture is in my signature, my real name only differs by two letters (change the rs to Y and you have my name...oo shocking).

possibly....but unless they have some sort of clause in a contract w/ the students...there is nothing keeping those students to practice in that area

No written or verbal contract is needed. The interview process focused a great deal on the school’s commitment to under served communities. It seems to me that the admissions committee honed in on those students who were committed to this aim.

I have to assume that someone moving to nyc has a desire to live in an urban environment. If the students don’t wind up in nyc, I wouldn’t be surprised if they turned up in another under served urban community.

I, for one, would sign a contract. :)

No written or verbal contract is needed. The interview process focused a great deal on the school’s commitment to under served communities. It seems to me that the admissions committee honed in on those students who were committed to this aim.

I have to assume that someone moving to nyc has a desire to live in an urban environment. If the students don’t wind up in nyc, I wouldn’t be surprised if they turned up in another under served urban community.

that's stupid. you have no idea where you'll be in four years...whether you'll have other concerns like a S/O or a spouse...

Don't be a naive premed.

honestly good for you...we need people like that.....but don't underestimate the ability of med school applicants to play the game w/ admissions and tell them what they want to hear

I really do hope it works out though and that a large % of students fulfill the schools mission.....but don't be surprised if a lot of your classmates drop the underserved-primary care thing real quick and start talking about $$ and lifestyle

that's stupid. you have no idea where you'll be in four years...whether you'll have other concerns like a S/O or a spouse...

Don't be a naive premed.

i KNOW what i want, premed/med/doctor it will NOT change...no judgment necessary here, thank you

honestly good for you...we need people like that.....but don't underestimate the ability of med school applicants to play the game w/ admissions and tell them what they want to hear

I really do hope it works out though and that a large % of students fulfill the schools mission.....but don't be surprised if a lot of your classmates drop the underserved-primary care thing real quick and start talking about $$ and lifestyle

there are no guarantees about my classmates, that is true..but one can hope, no? :)

i KNOW what i want, premed/med/doctor it will NOT change...no judgment necessary here, thank you

I think that confining yourself to stay in a certain area (reference OUCOM's 5-year contract) at such a young age is ridiculous. At this point, it is best to keep your options OPEN for as long as possible... that way when something unexpected comes along you have the greatest amount of comfortable wiggle room... Think about it.

I think that confining yourself to stay in a certain area (reference OUCOM's 5-year contract) at such a young age is ridiculous. At this point, it is best to keep your options OPEN for as long as possible... that way when something unexpected comes along you have the greatest amount of comfortable wiggle room... Think about it.

youre entitled to your opinion, but id prefer that you not push yours on me...

i wish you luck with your chosen path, whatever you decide :thumbup:

I'm not saying your path is a bad one... I'm saying that your willingness to sign a contract is naive. I think that is factual, not opinion. What if you're offered a competitive spot in an equal area of a difference city? If you were (and hypothetically of course..) to sign a contract binding yourself to Harlem, NYC, then you would have to give up that opportunity.

My path isn't chosen yet.. that's just it. I'm going to base my decision upon what I like best during 3rd and 4th years... an educated decision. I'm paying all that money to get a wide breadth of exposure... Why not use it to its full potential?

or whenever you decide :)

I assume some one moving to NYC wants to go to medical school. Plus its the LARGEST city in the US, its not hard to get people to live there. Your statement makes it seem like everyone in osteopathic medicine is from a hick town and are really brave for moving to a city. PCOM and CCOM have been in urban environments for over a 100 years. How much will the average debt be for each student? 200K+, the students wont be able to afford to work with the underserved. There are programs available at every medical school Health service corps, that places docs in underserved communities. As for the admissions committe finding only those students who want to work with the underserved.........................I am sure you will find many of your classmates who lied through their teeth to get an acceptance. Almost everyone will tell the interviewers what they think they want to hear in the interview. You can't lie about your stats, but you can bend the truth about your desire to be a humble country doctor.

The new schools aren't going to graduate a class for 4-5 years so I'm not going to worry about them. Plus they will probably set up some residencies before they do, such as Touro-NV
From what I've noticed at smaller places is that they will have rotations (ie trauma) at a level 1 somewhere close by (usually).

They need residencies for ALL of their graduates

If they did this, then they'd be no different than allo schools. The whole reason (good or bad) the DO community clings to the OMM is that it's the only reason for their separate existence.

Same thing w/ the focus on PC and underserved populations. DO's don't do it b/c they're more compasionate and want to be humble Dr.s helping the poor. It's b/c of politics and survival. The only reason DO's are still around is b/c they fill this niche which MDs don't. State legislatures were less likely to help the AMA's efforts in wiping DO's out b/c they were providing the health safety net.

OMM, PC, rural and underserved all politics to keep the profession alive.

Do you guys really believe all of this or have you been in the forum too long ? I think the idea of making OMM elective is about as good as invading Iraq.

If you say so. I think we'll all get along just fine at P.C.O.M. as long as maturity and discipline reign. :D
Well, if they do, then you'll be a cat in a canary convention because- among numerous other traits- you lack both maturity and discipline. Just because you have a screenname with a military rank in, doesn't imply you have any iota of discipline or dignity. This should be reinforced by the fact that you speak like a Trekkie who would wet himself if he were to ever encounter an even partially clad woman. :thumbdown:

I think the idea of making OMM elective is about as good as invading Iraq.

Except nobody will die (except maybe a few of the old guard from shock that the field is moving on) because of that change in the education at osteopathic schools. I think that (unlike Iraq) making it an elective is a great idea.

This should be reinforced by the fact that you speak like a Trekkie who would wet himself if he were to ever encounter an even partially clad woman. :thumbdown:

Well, the above is a pretty low-class type of comment but anyway; are you saying you're given to casual relationships? :confused: As my favorite superhero The Batman or President Chavez would say, "Uno momento, hombrecito!", let's get to the krux of the matter.

kim_basinger2.jpg

Chavez_Ahmadinejad_Crop.JPG

Well, the above is a pretty low-class type of comment but anyway; are you saying you're given to casual relationships? :confused:
No, I'm saying that I wouldn't have to change my underwear if a fat chick with her own gravitational pull winked at me and showed a little cleavage.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWyLQgY-90[/YOUTUBE]

You're not above low class comments yourself, but sadly you miss the mark damn near every time.

No, I'm saying that I wouldn't have to change my underwear if a fat chick with her own gravitational pull winked at me and showed a little cleavage.
I think we should have separate threads for intelligent and stupid posts. Reading through this thread is ridiculous.

Intelligent comments...
Questioning Commander Riker...
Intelligent reponse....
Erraneous comment by Commander Riker about superheroes or something...
DropkickMurphy making derogatory comments about overweight woman and their "cleavage" seemingly out of nowhere to insult Commander Riker...

Debating the pros and cons of opening new DO schools is interesting and worthwhile, why do people feel the need to fill these threads with so much nonsense?

I know it seems like I am pointing the finger at DropkickMurphy who may very well be contributing great information and intelligent opinions to other threads, but pre-med students interested in DO for legitimate reasons must get the idea that more than half of us are immature and ignorant.

My humble opinion is that the negative impact on the profession (for the many reasons mentioned) depends solely on those that fill the entering classes.

I think students like DOMO will turn the DO school in Harlem into a very successful venture for the profession. The statement that he/she would sign a contract is not naive at all. There is nothing wrong with showing so much enthusiasm and dedication to serving a community that you privledge it over other aspects of your life. They will just have to find a significant other that accepts their career goals and the challenge of making it work.

The AOA may very well be naive for allowing such rapid expansion, but I think there are many students who are qualified and dedicated enough to cover the organization's ass. I have the stats and extracurricular to get into a number of allo schools and I would gladly accept the challenge of filling the first class in Harlem.

My humble opinion is that the negative impact on the profession (for the many reasons mentioned) depends solely on those that fill the entering classes.

:thumbup: And given that there are currently older D.O. schools with lower admission standards than the brand-new schools, I venture the latter's graduating classes will be okay.

I think students like DOMO will turn the DO school in Harlem into a very successful venture for the profession. The statement that he/she would sign a contract is not naive at all. There is nothing wrong with showing so much enthusiasm and dedication to serving a community that you privledge it over other aspects of your life. They will just have to find a significant other that accepts their career goals and the challenge of making it work.

The AOA may very well be naive for allowing such rapid expansion, but I think there are many students who are qualified and dedicated enough to cover the organization's ass. I have the stats and extracurricular to get into a number of allo schools and I would gladly accept the challenge of filling the first class in Harlem.

But it is naive to sign your life away for such a long period of time. Your are signing for four years plus more(5 for OUCOM) in one location. There is no question in my mind that your assertions are just feel-good crap. The only one here with any ethos on the matter is JPHazelton. Face it... we are all blind, deaf, and dumb to the med school process as premeds.

And while you may have the scores to get into an allo school, I am sure that is the exception and not the rule. THAT SAID, I do believe that the new schools will undoubtedly create excellent physicians, but the newness of those programs creates a margin of error that is unacceptable to me. It is a personal preference... I wanted a solid network with some regional name recognition. I could also see how being an inaugural class would have its benefits as well. And for Touro-Harlem there certainly is the added benefit of being in one of the largest metropolises in the world.

But it is naive to sign your life away for such a long period of time. Your are signing for four years plus more(5 for OUCOM) in one location. There is no question in my mind that your assertions are just feel-good crap. The only one here with any ethos on the matter is JPHazelton. Face it... we are all blind, deaf, and dumb to the med school process as premeds.

And while you may have the scores to get into an allo school, I am sure that is the exception and not the rule. THAT SAID, I do believe that the new schools will undoubtedly create excellent physicians, but the newness of those programs creates a margin of error that is unacceptable to me. It is a personal preference... I wanted a solid network with some regional name recognition. I could also see how being an inaugural class would have its benefits as well. And for Touro-Harlem there certainly is the added benefit of being in one of the largest metropolises in the world.

This is armchair warrior thinking. Yes, of course we osteopathic students have 100 times more experience than the gentlemen sitting in gray suits who are opening these new D.O. schools up. I'm sure they have NO IDEA what they're doing. :laugh: